NO Criminal Justice System in New Orleans ...

13th Juror

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site

This is an excerpt from "Gretawire" - Greta's email newsletter entitled "Crescent City Crisis" (10/5/05) regarding the New Orleans situation.

Quote from Greta:

There is a huge problem in New Orleans that continues to be the topic of our show and my obsession. The problem is the criminal justice system — or lack thereof.

The DA Eddie Jordan told us last night that he can't make payroll... which means that there will not be any prosecutors. If there are no prosecutors, you can't continue to hold people arrested, since the prosecutors are the ones who lodge the charging document that detains someone. You can't just arrest people and hold them.

The Constitution requires a process. Thus if someone commits an armed robbery tonight, gets arrested and if there is no prosecutor to file the papers and prosecute the armed robbery, he or she must be set free.

Imagine the problem with arrests for murder, sexual assault, child molesting etc. This is a big, big, big problem in a city attempting to rebuild. You need law and order. I hope it won't take a huge tragedy to get more attention on this crisis.
<end quote.

What do you Websleuthers think about this situation?

Any thoughts about this turn of events or possible solutions to suggest?

Is this going to mean the Fed. Govt. is - once again - going to have to step in and provide the funds to maintain law & order in N.O.?

If you feel so inclined - comments could also be sent to Greta at OnTheRecord@FoxNews.Com .

13th Juror

13th Juror said:

This is an excerpt from "Gretawire" - Greta's email newsletter entitled "Crescent City Crisis" (10/5/05) regarding the New Orleans situation.

Quote from Greta:

There is a huge problem in New Orleans that continues to be the topic of our show and my obsession. The problem is the criminal justice system — or lack thereof.

The DA Eddie Jordan told us last night that he can't make payroll... which means that there will not be any prosecutors. If there are no prosecutors, you can't continue to hold people arrested, since the prosecutors are the ones who lodge the charging document that detains someone. You can't just arrest people and hold them.

The Constitution requires a process. Thus if someone commits an armed robbery tonight, gets arrested and if there is no prosecutor to file the papers and prosecute the armed robbery, he or she must be set free.

Imagine the problem with arrests for murder, sexual assault, child molesting etc. This is a big, big, big problem in a city attempting to rebuild. You need law and order. I hope it won't take a huge tragedy to get more attention on this crisis.
<end quote.

What do you Websleuthers think about this situation?

Any thoughts about this turn of events or possible solutions to suggest?

Is this going to mean the Fed. Govt. is - once again - going to have to step in and provide the funds to maintain law & order in N.O.?

If you feel so inclined - comments could also be sent to Greta at OnTheRecord@FoxNews.Com .

13th Juror
They might have to reinstate martial law.

My concern is "no payroll available" for the Justice System - prosecutors, court personnel, etc.

Even if martial law took place - there will still be crimes committed - from assault & burglary to murder, child abuse, molestation & rape. If there are no prosecutors employed in N.O. to file charges and take it through the criminal justice system - then what??? Can't hold suspects if you cannot charge them.

Seems to me, it's a "get-out-of-jail free card" - a New Orleans free-for-all for lawless people - kinda like back to the old wild west days. Scary stuff!

13th Juror

I imagine it will be pretty lawless for a long time. Not safe in any stretch of the imagination.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back