Vaccine prevents onset of cervical cancer

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
More at link

By Ransdell Pierson
1 hour, 15 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - An experimental Merck & Co. Inc. (NYSE:MRK - news) vaccine completely prevented early-stage cervical cancer and precancerous cervical lesions caused by the two most common forms of a virus linked to such cancers, Merck said on Thursday.
This trial confirms that a vaccine can give young women a high level of protection from developing precancerous lesions and early cervical cancers," Laura Koutsky, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Washington, who led the study, told Reuters.

The ability to prevent onset of cervical cancers, at least for the short term, was shown in a late-stage trial sponsored by the U.S. drug maker. It included more than 12,000 women from 13 countries, aged 16 to 26, who were not infected with either of the virus types when the trial began

I wonder what further implications this could have.

To stop even one type of cancer has to lead to the stop of others.

Thanks Ty for sharing this.

Tybee! My brother is a phd and post-doc who works at Merck in research and development. He was very involved with this project. It took years. This is wonderful as it will prevent the deaths of many. Sorry if I sound like I am bragging,(I don't mean to!) but you can't believe how many people dedicated years to this. Anyway, I was really proud of his contribution to this.

Hi LCookster!!!

I think if your brother was involved in such a great thing you can brag a little bit:)

This vaccine prevents the "virus" that leads to and contributes to cervical cancer, it does not prevent cancer it it was caused by something other condition other then the virus.....

So it is not a "cancer vacine" but a virus vaccine........

lcookster said:
Tybee! My brother is a phd and post-doc who works at Merck in research and development. He was very involved with this project. It took years. This is wonderful as it will prevent the deaths of many. Sorry if I sound like I am bragging,(I don't mean to!) but you can't believe how many people dedicated years to this. Anyway, I was really proud of his contribution to this.
How wonderful that your brother was involved in a project that will lead to less suffering in the world.

May his work flourish and may he continue to benefit countless suffering people!

What a wonderful contribution to celebrate!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back