Police Beating: Deputies Took Trophy Photo claim states

The cover-up is what is bad for everyone.

(snipped from article OP) San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon has yet to decide whether he will criminally charge any deputies in the incident.

What the heck???

This happened last year. Why hadn't we heard about it?

I hope that cameras (and the fear of cameras present) will change everything!

I read something here about how (forgive me if I'm a bit off with the details) with the Chicago police department, 80% of the dashcams were non-functional, in most cases because of deliberate tampering. So, the fear of cameras does change something -- it makes bad police branch out from violence and theft to damaging government property.

eta -- since the window for editing posts seems so short now, here's a quick link, though there are likely others:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10859288/chicago-police-sabotage-dashboard-body-cameras

I read something here about how (forgive me if I'm a bit off with the details) with the Chicago police department, 80% of the dashcams were non-functional, in most cases because of deliberate tampering. So, the fear of cameras does change something -- it makes bad police branch out from violence and theft to damaging government property.

eta -- since the window for editing posts seems so short now, here's a quick link, though there are likely others:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10859288/chicago-police-sabotage-dashboard-body-cameras

I should have posted independent business, residential and street cameras.

80% of dash cams not working! That vendor/supplierand/or police employee should have those fixed and there should be some indicator/sensor to let LE station know that a camera is down, instantaneously. LEO supervisor should be dispatched to that cruiser with dashcam that is down. jmo

Parts of the report on a controversial and severe beating of a suspect by Alameda County Sheriffs' deputies in San Francisco were mistakenly released as part of a records request according to the Alameda County Sheriffs Department.

Interesting reading from the incident reports.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/112496992-story

Parts of the report on a controversial and severe beating of a suspect by Alameda County Sheriffs' deputies in San Francisco were mistakenly released as part of a records request according to the Alameda County Sheriffs Department.

Interesting reading from the incident reports.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/112496992-story

I guess that's important to know -- that they were mistakenly released.

Myself, I think that it's much more important to know if the parts of the report were true or false.

Given that LE often leaks things to taint jury pools or bias public opinion, I do find it a bit shameful that this is a crying point for LE.

Something that really saddens me in all of these stories about the abuse of power by LEOs is that those defending them usually do want the world to be a better place, and they think that LEOs are part of the solution. I get that, and I do believe that many LEOs are good folks. But I think that the mythology/hagiography around LEOs in general can be distracting people from just how bad individual incidents like this are for society in general. This isn't just a story about one bad private citizen who did something wrong. It's a story about *MANY* public servants who (ab)used their power to beat the crap out of someone, and then take trophy pictures of their carnage, and then, as has been alleged, take his personal effects to bribe witnesses.

Again, we're not just talking about 1 or 2 bad apples here, but a bucket-full.

It baffles me how these Alameda County Sheriff yahoos were able to make it so far into San Francisco without any appearance by either The California State Highway Patrol or the San Francisco Police.

The chase itself sounds very very dangerous and yet it went on at very high speeds for quite a length of time. The report goes on and on about the Highway Patrol helicopter not being available but last I knew they still have patrol cars. Where were all the cars to follow them across the 4.5 mile bridge into downtown San Francisco? Where were the SF Police? Was the chase being broadcast on Police scanners?

I am unaware of any time in the past where Alameda County Sheriffs have followed (much less chased) someone into San Francisco County and arrested them. Its not like they veered over into another county, they crossed a bridge which at about the halfway point becomes San Francisco County.

Note that San Francisco is both a City and a County. There are no other cities in the County. San Francisco has a Sheriff who runs the County Jail, patrols the County Hospital and doesn't usually patrol the streets of San Francisco.

I think every last one of the Officers involved in this unseemly episode should be prosecuted and fired!

And, I think there are more parts to this story that are missing.

It seems to be happening more than we know, or more than I was aware.

Today, the Jamal Clark case and the 40 yo man from Fresno video was released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back