Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Joey LaBute
Cc6aDj4WoAAmf3Q.jpg

Family frantic after 26-year-old man goes missing

Columbus, Ohio -
"The assumption was he'd be right back."

That's what Joey LaBute's friends and cousins thought when Joe LaBute left the table to go to the bar.

Days later, they've found his car, but they can't find him.

LaBute's parents say they haven't heard from him since Friday night when the 26-year-old went with his cousins to Union restaurant and bar in the Short North neighborhood.

https://www.facebook.com/labute1

http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/family-frantic-after-26-year-old-man-goes-missing

Thread #1

LaBute's father, Joe, has come up from Cincinnati to help look for his son. "He got up and said he was going to get a drink at the bar. And then he didn't come back," he said.

His father says LaBute's apartment, car and bank account appear untouched.

He's described as:

5' 11"

Brown hair

Brown eyes

LaBute's 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer was found where, his friends say, he parked it Friday night.

http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/family-frantic-after-26-year-old-man-goes-missing

Local MSM states that they're using dental records today to ID the body. I hate that they're basically saying it IS Joey without actual confirmation. It's very likely that it is him, but if it turns out not to be, Joey's family has been through hell wondering. The LE silence tells me that they got a good tip about what happened to him, and were following those leads. There has been talk here about when he was put in the river. It's possible he was held alive for a time, and then killed...but I dunno. It's early and I'm hangry because I need to have blood tests taken and it's a fasting one, so I'm starving and caffeine deprived. :coffeews:

I'm so very much hoping that if this is Joey than it isn't a hate crime. I like to think of Columbus as more open and accepting than that....of course it could just be my hopefulness! But to me, being gay/lesbian/transgender isn't a big deal at all- it all boils down to the same thing....we're all people just trying to get by in life. It's sad to me that more people can't see that.

It is hard for me to wrap my head around this being deemed a "hate crime." I just don't see it in Columbus- it is such a welcoming and proud community. I am originally from Cleveland and recently moved back here after living in Cbus for almost 9 years. Cbus is so different than anywhere up here (northeast)- it is so culturally diverse- there is something for everyone. Literally.
You would think that in today's day in age, people would be more accepting. Unfortunately, there are still people that do not see eye to eye and think being gay is wrong. But leads me to wonder, if this was a hate crime, how in the hell did someone come in contact with Joey?
Is it possible that someone is "fishing" around on gay dating apps in order to lure gay men into violent deaths? Just doesn't make sense to me!

Smirky face killers have killed over 200 young men in 20 years. Killing is hate. People that love do not kill. So yes it's a hate crime regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that! But from a moral perspective, I do not think it is appropriate- it is not fair or right to the family/friends of Joey.
I think there are other ways to word what they are trying to say. There is already a large population following this case- people will be reading the updates no matter what- and it even made national news.
Poor choice in wording- whether it is "click bait" or not.

I guarantee when everyone first read that sentence, everyone thought that it said, it WAS Joey! SMH!!!

News is considered entertainment these days and as such, they will use wording that pulls heartstrings, creates anxiety, anything to keep people following. There are no morals and few ethics in news reporting these days.

Thanks for moving/cleaning up the thread, it was top-heavy to be sure!

Thanks for moving/cleaning up the thread, it was top-heavy to be sure!

So is the thread actually moved and thread #1 is being deleted?? Or is this simply thread #2 and the original thread is still there, but closed?

PS: "clean up?" Clean up what?

I'm not so sure this will be a "hate crime" if it is indeed Joey. Most times a "hate crime" is a public display - seldom is the perpetrator of a "hate crime" concerned with hiding his victim, it's almost as if they want everyone to see the crime their "hate" justified.

Plus the whole "hate crime" terminology bothers me. Aren't pretty much all crimes some form of hate? i think too much leniency in the criminal justice system brought us to that point.

I don't believe thread 1 will be deleted- it is just"closed" and we can no longer post to it :)

Yes, this is correct.
Many cases on WS go to several threads. A thread is closed when it reaches so many posts. The threads are still visible and are numbered, but as bighair says, the old thread will be locked for further posting.

I think it just means that media/we are still waiting on an announcement.
I strongly suspect that LE and family has basically known from almost as soon as this poor victim's body was found. Dental would have confirmed it yes/no last night for sure. Just no official word yet.
MOO

ETA ... Unless this reporter is clumsily saying that dental records did not yield a firm ID. If so, I don't know what the heck we are dealing with here. I hate reporting/tweets like this.

In regards to this being a hate crime, I have a few comments. Is it considered a hate crime if it was committed by another gay person?

Second, Columbus is a very diverse and open minded city. HOWEVER, hate crimes still happen here and not all get reported to the news. A few years ago, a gay couple was getting pizza from a food truck when some straight people started making anti-gay remarks. The pizza truck refused service to the straight Ohio,e stating they don't serve those who discriminate. Last year, there were a few people who were attacked leaving bars. Just because you don't hear about these hate crimes doesn't mean they don't exist.

within our own gay community in Columbus there are gays who specifically tell other gays how they will beat them up, etc. there's a few guys in the community who are real bullies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back