IN IN - David Kallenberger, 47, Lafayette, 15 March 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Police seek help locating missing Lafayette man
10251999_G.jpg

David A. Kallenberger, 47, of 1900 North 15th Street, Lafayette, was reported missing to the Indiana State Police on March 28, 2016.
http://www.wthr.com/story/31638844/police-seek-help-locating-missing-lafayette-man

His sister, who stated he had left Lafayette on March 15th and was heading to Florida to meet up with her, said he had not arrived.

According to a ISP news release, the last contact made with Kallenberger was on March 15 when a trooper had been sent to I-65 near the 86 mile marker in Johnson County. The trooper talked with Kallenberger about his status and he said his motorcycle had broken down and that he had help in route. Kallenberger said that he did not need any assistance from police and the trooper left him with his motorcycle. Later on, troopers returned to the area to find the motorcycle but not Kallenberger. The motorcycle was towed to a secure lot.

http://wlfi.com/2016/04/04/police-searching-for-missing-lafayette-man-2/

So the message he left happened before the police saw him or after.
It sounds almost like he was taken if it was after. They (whomever) could have come back if it happened before.

So the message he left happened before the police saw him or after.
It sounds almost like he was taken if it was after. They (whomever) could have come back if it happened before.

Yes, this reporting doesn't make sense as to what happened first:

Kallenberger's sister said she talked to her brother on the 15th, when he was planning on driving down to visit her in Florida. She said he left her a strange voice mail and it was the last time she heard from him. "He said there was a truck backing up. He said, 'Oh, my God. Kim I'll have to call you back' and that's the last time I heard from him."

then ...

State Police said they responded to the area for a distressed motorist on the 15th. They met up with Kallenberger, who told them he had help coming. The next day, state police reported seeing the man's motorcycle on the side of the road, but Kallenberger was no where to be found. His motorcycle was towed to a secure location.

I assume he also called the police as well as his sister?

http://fox59.com/2016/04/05/missing-mans-sister-pleads-for-answers-as-isp-steps-up-search-efforts/

More than a month has passed since a Lafayette man was last seen near Edinburgh, and his family and police are searching for answers.

David Kallenberger, 47, was headed to Florida to visit his sister, Kim Hanson, on March 15 when his Harley Davidson motorcycle broke down and stranded him alongside Interstate 65 just a few miles north of the Edinburgh exit.

(...)

“We checked that area thoroughly. We are doing everything we can,” Holman said. “A lot of our successes are based on tips and leads from the public. But nothing is coming in. We don’t know if foul play was involved — we don’t have any leads that could determine foul play. We just know he’s missing.”

On Friday, volunteers from the Community United Effort, or CUE, Center for Missing Persons assisted in a search near County Road 700E, west of I-65.
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/local_story/Search-for-missing-Lafayette-m_1461986802

Search for missing Lafayette man continues
20160430dj_missing_person_search04.jpg

More than a month has passed since a Lafayette man was last seen near Edinburgh, and his family and police are searching for answers.

David Kallenberger, 47, was headed to Florida to visit his sister, Kim Hanson, on March 15 when his Harley Davidson motorcycle broke down and stranded him alongside Interstate 65 just a few miles north of the Edinburgh exit.

An Indiana State Police trooper stopped to help, but Kallenberger told the officer he had help on the way, said Sgt. Jerry Holman of the Indiana State Police.
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/local_story/Search-for-missing-Lafayette-m_1461986802

Hanson has concerns because Kallenberger might have had a sudden health crisis, she said. The day he left to ride to Florida, he had not felt well and showed symptoms of a heart attack, she said.

“He said he needed to get out of here before something bad happens,” Hanson said Kallenberger's friends reported.

Then there's the cryptic message left on Hanson's voicemail. She discovered it after she fixed a glitch with her phone at the end of March.

“I don’t know what ... is going on, but I’m being set up bigger than ... ,” Kallenberger said on the message as he explained he wanted to spend time with her in Florida. He mutters something about having a gun and killing himself, but Kendall said Kallenberger didn't have a gun, other than a realistic-looking BB pistol.

At the end of the voicemail, he sounds distressed.

“I don’t know what to do — leave my bike here or what," he said as the message ends. "Oh man, a truck’s backing up. Oh my God. Kim. I’ll call you. Bye.”

That was the last anyone heard from Kallenberger.

http://www.jconline.com/story/news/local/2016/05/17/missing-mans-sister-pleads-help/84495152/

If this guy was having heart attack symptoms and talking about suicide on the phone and yet was somehow a victim of foul play, I believe that may disprove Occam's Razor. 😳

Considering the information about him thinking he was being "set up" and him feeling suicidal, I am wondering if David was experiencing acute panic or an anxiety attack that was mistaken for a possible heart attack. I know the manifestations of each can be similar enough that they are easily confused.

Interesting case.

If he told the highway patrol that he had help on its way he must have phoned someone; and if they are carrying out a serious search including cadaver dogs they must believe there's a fair chance he's dead. On that basis, and assuming he did not use a roadside phone (do you have them in the US?), are they not able to access his phone records and see who he contacted for help? And where did his phone last ping from?

What time did he leave the message left from the roadside on his sister's voicemail? Since his words in the message suggest he was alarmed by the arrival of the truck (so it was not the rescue he was anticipating), that may well be the time whatever bad happened, happened.

I hope the police are looking into his background, considering that he seemed scared into leaving home. What and who was he involved with that scared him into wanting to drive half way across the country to get away from it? Or could that simply have been the sense of foreboding that sometimes does presage a heart attack? But if he'd had a heat attack close to his bike surely he'd have been found nearby?

Who did he call to come out and rescue him? A friend who lived nearby or a mechanic? And did that person actually go out to help him?

If they did, what did they do when the found his bike but not him? Why did they not alert the police at that point?

If they didn't, why didn't they go having convinced him they were going to?

Considering the information about him thinking he was being "set up" and him feeling suicidal, I am wondering if David was experiencing acute panic or an anxiety attack that was mistaken for a possible heart attack. I know the manifestations of each can be similar enough that they are easily confused.

I'm trying to imagine how he might have thought he was being set up unless he was involved in something nefarious and was being lined up to take the rap for associates. Either his fear was well founded or it was paranoia. Did he have existing mental health problems? Was he using drugs that might have created paranoia or psychosis?

I just read an article that wife's car? picked him up. Let me go find the link.

A witness said he saw David get into a car that was later identified as his wife’s Valerie’s car. WLFI News tried to call Valerie but her phone was disconnected.

Well that's interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back