* Found January 10, 2006 in San Francisco County, CA
* Estimated Year of Death: 2006

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: Adult - 18-99
* Approximate Height: 65 Estimate
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair color gray; head hair:
About 4 inches in length; eyes brown;
scars and marks:
On the right lower abdomen is a 2-inch oblique scar.

* Dentals: Dental information charting is available and entered

* Clothing/Jewelry: nothing.

* DNA:
Sample is currently not available

Case History:
On 1/10/2006 at approximately 1945 hours a fire at 454 20th Ave was reported to the fire department. Apartment #6 was found to be fulling engulfed in flames. The fire was suppressed and upon entering the residence fire personnel found the subject.

If I had to guess, I'd say that LE has a good idea of who she is but can't make the ID for some reason. I've seen some similar cases where the UID is almost certainly the homeowner or resident but cannot technically be identified.

Name on the lease? Is this a complex, or a house carved up into apartments? What kind of neighborhood?

Looks pretty good in 2015:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...0x80858711b99addbd:0x611b66dc4a1f52e8!6m1!1e1

Were these buildings here in 2006?

The same building is there; in Google Street View, it's the terracotta colored building. It looks like the typical three story apartment building with approximately 6 units in it. I live in a similar type of apartment building on the west side of San Francisco.

The following article says that her neighbors described her as an elderly woman that used a walker and lived alone: http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SAN-FRANCISCO-Resident-killed-in-Richmond-2506976.php

San Francisco has a very large population of Chinese immigrants; I wonder if this woman was undocumented and that's why she hasn't been identified. I'm surprised that there isn't a race listed on the UID description.

This could be a case where the original tenants on the lease left, and she took over without any paperwork being done. I'm having trouble believing that her identity is known but can't be proved (JMO).

Article on the fire online: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SAN-FRANCISCO-Resident-killed-in-Richmond-2506976.php
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SAN-FRANCISCO-Fire-victim-was-retired-real-2543550.php

According to a combo of these, the person who died was a 73 year old retired real estate agent who used a cane and walker.

Pasting the relevant parts from the articles here, in case they disappear from the SFGate archives at some point:

One person was killed and several others escaped Tuesday night when a fire swept through the top floor of a Richmond District apartment building, San Francisco fire officials said.
Officials didn't identify or provide a description of the victim, but neighbors described her as an elderly woman whose mobility might have been limited by a physical disability.
"She used a walker," said Helen Melendez, who lives in the flat next door to the damaged building at 454 20th Ave. near Anza Street. Melendez said the woman lived alone in a unit on the third floor, but she didn't know her by name.
The two-alarm fire, reported at about 7:45 p.m., started in a unit in the back of the third floor and spread to an adjoining unit, said Fire Department spokesman Ken Smith....The victim was found dead inside the three-story building, according to Smith, who did not provide a more specific location.​

Neighbors of an elderly woman who died in a two-alarm fire at an apartment house in San Francisco's Richmond District said she was determined and independent but had difficulty walking and used a cane to climb the stairs to her third-floor apartment.
The woman, who was not identified pending notification of relatives, was believed to be a 73-year-old former employee of a real estate office who lived alone and used a walker and a supermarket cart to get around the neighborhood.
The fire broke out in her apartment at the back of 454 20th Ave. around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday and sent flames and smoke shooting from two rear windows.
After neighbors of the six-unit building fled to the sidewalk, they noticed that the woman was not among them. They alerted firefighters, who entered her apartment but were too late to save her.
"It was really hot and smoky, and it was a battle getting inside," said Fire Department spokesman Ken Smith.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
A neighbor who lived in an apartment one floor below the victim said she often saw her come and go, negotiating the stairs with difficulty and using a walker or a borrowed shopping cart to get to a market half a block north.
This part makes it sound like the police had identified her but just didn't release her name until they found her next of kin to notify her: "the woman, who was not identified pending notification of relatives." You'd think at least the landlord would know who she was or public records would help identify her, even if the neighbors didn't know her name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back