NC NC - Petty Officer Taylor Machado, 21, Virginia Beach, 9 April 2016

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
The Navy has identified the sailor who went missing from the dock landing ship USS Carter Hall April 9 off the coast of North Carolina as Taylor KayJean Machado, a gunner's mate 3rd class, went missing from the ship during training operations in support of a pre-deployment exercise some 60 nautical miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras.

taylor-kayjean-machado.jpg

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ho-went-missing-off-north-carolina-coast.html
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/navy-ids-sailor-reported-missing-off-north-carolina-38393580

What makes them so sure she went overboard? I hope every single nook and cranny of that ship was searched. So vague.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What makes them so sure she went overboard? I hope every single nook and cranny of that ship was searched. So vague.

She probably missed quarters or watch. Afterwards, each division was likely tasked to search their spaces while conducting overboard searches. A missing sailor while at sea is evolution involving all hands not on watch and not taken lightly. A lot of ship to search, though if a Marine detachment is not onboard and I haven't heard if there was one onboard.

Do they have CCTV on Navy ships? I am probably asking a stupid question. I just hate to think that no one will ever know the circumstances of her disappearance.

One of 3 scenarios: Suicide (which apparently is more common now than when I was onboard ship), Accident or Murder. In any event there is an investigation that has either begun or will soon. I'm just wondering who is doing the investigation - an officer or board appointed by the CO or group commander or NCIS - as I have not seen it mentioned.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/breaking-news/2016/04/09/man-overboard-carter-hall-vacapes/82851456/

"5:44 p.m. EDT April 10, 2016"

This is an older article, before her name was released.

Interesting to note:

"A pair of boots with a note was reportedly found on deck near the rear of the ship,…" (Snipped By Me)

I wonder what was in the note?

Also, her family was notified but they did not want to release her name to the public…

IMOO.
Well that makes it sound more like a suicide. [emoji20]. I feel sad. You can't really tell by just pictures but there was something awfully sweet about her.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/breaking-news/2016/04/09/man-overboard-carter-hall-vacapes/82851456/

"5:44 p.m. EDT April 10, 2016"

This is an older article, before her name was released.

Interesting to note:

"A pair of boots with a note was reportedly found on deck near the rear of the ship,…" (Snipped By Me)

I wonder what was in the note?

Also, her family was notified but they did not want to release her name to the public…

IMOO.

I heard this rumor about the boots and the note on the base, but I never did see anything in the media till this. And this looks like one of the first articles.

No recent updates. This was from April 2016:

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Taylor KayJean Machado has been identified as the sailor who went missing from the USS Carter Hall last week.

Machado was a 3rd class gunners mate, who had been assigned to the Carter Hall in May of 2014. She was reported missing on April 9 60 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras.

A crew member conducting a head count realized someone was missing around 4:20 p.m. on April 9, and put out a man overboard call, according to Lieutenant Michael Hatfield, a Navy spokesperson.

The Navy immediately initiated search and rescue operations. Various Navy and Coast Guard helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft participated in the 72-hour search that covered more than 22,388 square nautical miles.

Navy and Coast Guard officials suspended the search for Machado on April 12.

http://wavy.com/2016/04/10/update-navy-coast-guard-suspend-search-for-missing-sailor/

Taylor KayJean Machado
machado_taylor.jpg
machado_taylor2.jpg
machado_taylor3.jpg
machado_taylor4.jpg
machado_taylor_tattoos.jpg

Machado, circa 2016; Tattoos on Machado's chest

• Missing Since 04/09/2016
  • Missing From Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'4, 145 - 165 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Machado has tattoos on each side of her upper chest, and a tattoo on her upper arm.
Details of Disappearance

Machado was last seen on the U.S.S. Carter Hall off the North Carolina coast on April 9, 2016. A Petty Officer 3rd Class with the Navy, a gunners mate, she disappeared from her ship during training operations for a future deployment. She was discovered missing at approximately 4:20 p.m. Water temperatures were in the low sixties to low seventies at the time.

The Navy and the Coast Guard searched for Machado off the coast of Cape Hatteras for about 72 hours, covering 22,388 nautical square miles, but found nothing and eventually suspended the search operation.

Machado is originally from Paso Robles, California. She graduated from Paso Robles High School in 2013, and enlisted later that year. She reported to the Carter Hall in May 2014. She is presumed to have drowned.

Investigating Agency
  • Naval Criminal Investigative Service 757-444-7327
Source Information

Navy training covers floating or drown proofing. But the USS Carter Hall is an LSD and that is a significant drop just from the main deck. One could do it if it was a controlled jump and not an accidental fall or push. Water temps in the upper 60's with night time April temps (it was in the mid to high 50's last night) are enough to cause problems as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back