GUILTY IL - Lindsay Johnson, 20, charged in death of newborn, Champaign, 13 March 2016

PastTense

Reaction score
What a horror. I understand the panic this young woman must have felt, but why didn't she just go to a hospital or fire station and leave the child? Or even to the bathroom of a fast food place. The baby would have been found and given care.

She was alone and apparently no one knew, or so it sounds thus far. Surely some of her friends, roommate, etc., suspected.

We'll have to wait for the full autopsy, etc., to see what caused the infant's death. Oh, what a sad, sad story. A beautiful miracle gone.

What a horror. I understand the panic this young woman must have felt, but why didn't she just go to a hospital or fire station and leave the child? Or even to the bathroom of a fast food place. The baby would have been found and given care.

She was alone and apparently no one knew, or so it sounds thus far. Surely some of her friends, roommate, etc., suspected.

We'll have to wait for the full autopsy, etc., to see what caused the infant's death. Oh, what a sad, sad story. A beautiful miracle gone.

A beautiful miracle gone.....

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm local to this. It was reported that she admitted to putting her hand over his mouth to quiet him :( after the police told her people reported hearing a baby cry...before that she had said that he was stillborn. It's not something we've ever really had to deal with here...sad, sad situation.

I'm local to this. It was reported that she admitted to putting her hand over his mouth to quiet him :( after the police told her people reported hearing a baby cry...before that she had said that he was stillborn. It's not something we've ever really had to deal with here...sad, sad situation.

Thanks for the post, mrsb2001. It's a sad, sad situation for so many. It is always helpful and so special to have someone from the area here on Websleuths. I'm sure there are a lot of folks around your area just shaking their heads and wondering, wondering, wondering. And there is almost always more to the story than meets the eye.

I just saw this article. It appears that another young woman "disposed" of her newborn and has been convicted of 1st Degree Murder - Life in prison without parole. Hmmm.

IMO, that's something for Ms. Johnson and her attorney to consider...

Michigan mom who left baby to die in cold garage sentenced

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. --A 25-year-old Detroit-area mother was formerly sentenced Tuesday in the death of her newborn child, reports CBS Detroit.

Angela Alexie was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, according to the station. The child's body was found at a recycling center in January 2015.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/angela-alexie-michigan-mom-who-left-baby-to-die-in-cold-garage-sentenced/

[url]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?268978-MI-Angela-Alexie-24-charged-in-death-of-newborn-son-22-Dec-2014&highlight=alexie

[/URL]

Ex-U. of I. student charged in baby's death takes plea, receives 10-year sentence

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-lindsay-johnson-plea-st-0409-20170407-story.html

A former University of Illinois student accused of suffocating her newborn child in a dorm bathroom in March 2016 pleaded guilty Friday to felony child endangerment as part of a plea deal.

Lindsay L. Johnson, 21, of Monee, was sentenced to 10 years in prison and one year mandatory supervised released as part the agreement — the maximum she could have received for an extended class 3 felony, Champaign County State's Attorney Julia Rietz said.

Johnson, who had been charged with first-degree murder and faced up to 75 years in prison had she been convicted at trial, did not offer a statement at Friday's plea hearing.

Rietz said concern over proving intent in the case led prosecutors to make the deal.

"Looking at the facts of the case, we felt that a jury might struggle with the question of intent," she said. "Obviously, this is a very emotional case and we were concerned if we went to a trial in a first-degree murder case, the question of her intent would have been an issue for the jury.

"So that question, as well as just the overall entirety of this tragic case led us to believe that this was an appropriate resolution. It's a prison sentence. It holds her responsible for the death of this child, but it also acknowledges what I think are clearly some mental health issues that she is absolutely going to need to address in the future."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back