GUILTY DE - Amy Joyner-Francis, 16, dies in attack at Wilmington high school, 21 April 2016

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...wn-breaking-up-fights-killed-attack/83364958/

Nik Stryminski remembers her as the one who kept him safe and out of a fight earlier this school year... “She wasn’t worried about herself. She was worried about me not fighting,” he said. “She didn’t believe in fighting, and the craziest thing is she died in a fight.”

Amy died Thursday morning at Howard High School during a violent attack in the girls bathroom. Wilmington Police have not announced the cause of her death or any details related to the attack.

Stryminski believes Amy went into the bathroom with the same mindset that she brought to his conflict, he said. “It’s not even like she went in there to fight. She went in there to talk things out,” he said.

Girl, 16, Dies After Fight in a High School Restroom in Delaware

A 16-year-old girl died after a fight with other students in a high school restroom in Delaware, spurring an outpouring of grief and soul-searching on social media on Thursday.

The victim, a 10th grader from New Castle, Del., who attended the Howard High School of Technology in Wilmington, was in a girls’ restroom on the main floor at about 8:15 a.m., just as classes began, the school said in a statement.

“A few female students were involved in a physical altercation,” and the victim was seriously hurt, the school said. She was taken by helicopter to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, where she died. No weapons were involved in the fight, officials said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/u...ht-in-a-high-school-restroom-in-delaware.html

So sorry to read about this. I can't imagine being ganged up on, especially in a school restroom. Our schools are so unsafe anymore.....what a shame.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...-assaulted-flown-childrens-hospital/32588433/
Friends said Amy Inita Joyner-Francis went into the bathroom at Howard High School of Technology around 8 a.m. Thursday. About a half hour later, the 16-year-old was taken out on a stretcher and flown to A.I. duPont Hospital for Children, where she later died.
Dawkins and Kayla Sutrell, also 16, said they talked to Amy Wednesday night and said Amy told them she was going into the bathroom on Thursday to “settle the beef.” Though they did not elaborate about the dispute, they did say it did not involve boys.

Police are currently at Gunning Bedford HS as allegedly someone brought a gun to school in retaliation. LE all over the place. This is nuts and out of control. IMO

Police: Charges expected in Delaware student's death
A police chief in Delaware says charges will be filed by the end of the week in connection to the death of a 16-year-old high school student.

Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings addressed a crowd of nearly 100 people at a town hall meeting Monday evening at Stubbs Elementary School, which is next door to the high school where Amy Joyner-Francis was killed last week. Police and the state Office of the Attorney General have three persons of interest in connection with the deadly assault, he said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-chief-charges-expected-in-delaware-student-amy-joyners-death/

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The girls who killed Amy have been running their mouths on social media. Some of them are saying they're glad they killed her and are "not losing sleep" over it.

Three teenage girls have been charged in connection with the death of another girl after a fight in a high school bathroom.

One student has been charged with criminally negligent homicide and two other students were charged with third-degree criminal conspiracy for allegedly helping to plan the deadly April 21 attack on Amy Joyner-Francis, according to a statement released by the Delaware Department of Justice.

(...)

Officials also revealed Monday that Joyner-Francis died from a "cardiac incident" related to a pre-existing heart condition
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/3-charg...ner-francis-after-high-school-bathroom-fight/

So I haven't been able to determine a motive, except "it's not a boy". Apparently she died after being beaten and her undiagnosed heart condition was a major contributing factor lessening the possible charges and prison sentences against her attackers.

Has a motive been determined?

It's being reported, the Medical examiner has determined she died from a preexisting heart condition exacerbated by the fight. The injuries she recieved in the fight were not life threatening. Poor girl died from a heart attack :(

So I haven't been able to determine a motive, except "it's not a boy". Apparently she died after being beaten and her undiagnosed heart condition was a major contributing factor lessening the possible charges and prison sentences against her attackers.

Has a motive been determined?

According to the report, her preexisting heart condition was not only a contributing factor it is the cause of death. None of the actual injuries from the beating itself were life threatening. However, I think the girl who hit her can and will still be charged the same. Had she not struck Amy repeatedly, she would still be alive. It's a given if you beat someone in the face and head, you could kill them and in this case it caused Amy to have a heart attack from the stress. She will still be tried as an adult for on some level of criminal homicide.

I've been following this case, it's so sad on so many levels.

Saw an article today where the defense attorney for the girl who actually hit her said the charges are too severe [ETA: source], which I guess he has to say. He is saying it was a consensual fight, which is the first I've heard of that angle - everything else I've read suggests that the three girls followed her into the bathroom to fight, but nothing else I've read suggests that she was in on the plan (that has actually been something I've been curious about).

As far as the actual charge of criminally negligent homicide, it seems reasonable to me, in my opinion (not a lawyer). I looked up some definitions and came up with:

(a) "Criminal negligence". — A person acts with criminal negligence with respect to an element of an offense when the person fails to perceive a risk that the element exists or will result from the conduct. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

BBM, from: http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c002/#231

And:

A person is guilty of criminally negligent homicide when, with criminal negligence, the person causes the death of another person.

Criminally negligent homicide is a class D felony.

BBM, from: http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c005/sc02/index.shtml#631

To me, it seems like the behavior was "a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation." I'm not clear on how direct the cause of death has to be, though. I understand it wasn't the official "cause of death," but it did directly lead to the death that would not have occurred otherwise.

A spokeswoman for the family of a teenage girl who died after fight in a high school bathroom says they're not happy with the charges filed in the case (...)

"The family is feeling like there's not a lot of justice with these charges," said Sherry Dorsey Walker, a Wilmington City Councilwoman who's running for lieutenant governor and is acting as the family's spokeswoman.

Dorsey Walker said in an interview with WDEL that the family believes Joyner-Francis' autopsy was faulty, leading to weak charges.

(...)

Dorsey Walker said the family has already spoken with four cardiologists who have disputed the medical examiner's findings. She the family will request a second, independent autopsy.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-...rancis-who-died-after-fight-disputes-autopsy/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back