Special Forces Suicides Raise Questions

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Special Forces Suicides Raise Questions

By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer

Chief Warrant Officer William Howell was a 15-year Army Special Forces veteran who had seen combat duty all over the world. Sgt. 1st Class Andre McDaniel was a military accountant. Spc. Jeremy Wilson repaired electronics.

They had little in common, other than having served in Iraq with the 10th Special Forces Group based at Fort Carson, Colo. They did not know each other, and they had vastly different duties.

Each, however, committed suicide shortly after returning home, all within about a 17-month period.

Rest of the story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/ap_on_re_us/soldier_suicides

This really hurts my heart. One week from today, my son will be leaving for boot camp and guess what his MOS is, Special forces Ranger. I am so afraid. I hope that he will get the macho bs out of his system and find a job more suitable to re-enter civilian life.
Y'all, my WS family, please pray for my courage as I let my son go and also that God will protect my soldier and all that serve in our military.

2XL said:
This really hurts my heart. One week from today, my son will be leaving for boot camp and guess what his MOS is, Special forces Ranger. I am so afraid. I hope that he will get the macho bs out of his system and find a job more suitable to re-enter civilian life.
Y'all, my WS family, please pray for my courage as I let my son go and also that God will protect my soldier and all that serve in our military.
I will pray for both of you. He will be very well trained and protected by his bothers-in-arms. God bless you both. And remember, HE is choosing this path. He is doing what he wants to do and will enjoy doing, serving his country.

2XL said:

((((((((((2XL))))))))))))

I'll pray for you both!!:)
May God grant you peace
that passes all understanding
and watch over your
boy (and all our troops)!!

with much love,

Ariel:blowkiss:

2XL said:

As sad and terrible as these cases are, 2XL, I'm sure they aren't common. Yes, yes, yes, our prayers are with you, your son, and all those who sacrifice so much for their country!

Nova said:
As sad and terrible as these cases are, 2XL, I'm sure they aren't common. Yes, yes, yes, our prayers are with you, your son, and all those who sacrifice so much for their country!
You're right, it isn't significantly higher than the civilian suicide rate.

From the article:
The Army says its overall suicide rate in 2003 was 12.8 per 100,000 active-duty soldiers, while the rate in the general U.S. population was 10.5 per 100,000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back