Malicious "Flash Player" Redirect

creepedout

Reaction score
One or more ads on Websleuths several times within the past week has redirected me to a false "Flash Player out of date" site and immediately starts downloading a file named "FlashPlayer.exe", which Chrome immediately identifies as malicious and blocks. Microsoft Security Essentials also detects the file and spawns an alert about it.

Because it redirects to another site, I haven't been able to figure out which ad is spawning it, but it's happening regularly now.

One or more ads on Websleuths several times within the past week has redirected me to a false "Flash Player out of date" site and immediately starts downloading a file named "FlashPlayer.exe", which Chrome immediately identifies as malicious and blocks. Microsoft Security Essentials also detects the file and spawns an alert about it.

Because it redirects to another site, I haven't been able to figure out which ad is spawning it, but it's happening regularly now.

This also has been happening during every session I'm on while using Websleuth, then computer bogs down and freezes. only on Websleuths

I have had it as well.

Extremely difficult to be on Websleuth except on phone

This also has been happening during every session I'm on while using Websleuth, then computer bogs down and freezes. only on Websleuths
Happened to me also using firefox 3-4 times. I just hit back button and I went back to the page I was on. It was odd for it to just pop up and redirect like that

My laptop is frequently getting bogged down and freezes these last few days as well. It's frustrating.

Hi Wfgodot,

Dave is on top of this. We have made some changes so please let me know if it happens again

We do not have any pop-up ads on Websleuths however there is a chance a pop-up can sneak through our advertisers and show up on Websleuths
We have taken measures to stop this pop-up. If anyone sees it again please post there or send me a private message.

Just happened to me while using Crome. I get the warning that Flash Player has crashed and then the page freezes. I will see if it happens using Internet Explorer.

I'm using Microsoft Edge as my browser, I've also installed Windows 10 about 6 months ago. I'm using a fairly new and well taken care of home computer.
In the past 3 or 4 weeks I've been seeing and hearing ads that are animated with sound making it just about impossible to read or post.

The ads that are not animated are fine; even the flashing animated ads without sound are fine.
Additionally; once in a while I put my earphones on to block various household sounds (DH watching the telly, our dogs barking etc...) that make it difficult for me to read... when the ad starts the volume is at top level Yikes!
On any given day I'm booted at least 10 times from the site.
I've cleared my cookies, shut down and restarted, tried various solutions but have yet to solve the problem

Oh, I haven't gotten any sort of flash player warning.
I've looked into my computer files and noted that I already have flash player installed.

Should I use a different browser? Download ?
It's strange because once in a while the problems I'm having stop; for a half a day out of 7 days. On the 1/2 days that are trouble free, I've noticed that for some reason the animated ads with vocals are disabled.

I'm following the Bosma case; I started reading when the thread opened up this morning and only have gotten to page 18 or so.

I hope that this is the proper thread to ask for help.
Any help would be very appreciated. :)

It happens to me constantly. As soon as I "fix" it with a program, it messes up my computer again once I come back to Websleuths. It is very disturbing. It is messing up my whole computer.

We do not have any pop-up ads on Websleuths however there is a chance a pop-up can sneak through our advertisers and show up on Websleuths
We have taken measures to stop this pop-up. If anyone sees it again please post there or send me a private message.
Are the ads supposed to be in between posts? It makes me think that another poster posted a picture.

Thats where mine are, too. And the videos auto-play. I'm sure that will be great for data usage.

Mine was so bad a couple of days ago I had to go back to using IE instead of Chrome. Tried the fix Tricia posted for Chrome users but it didn't help. Had no problems on IE! However, yesterday I tried Chrome again and it seemed to be better.

There is a thread right here in Forum Finesse with the instructions.

Are the ads supposed to be in between posts? It makes me think that another poster posted a picture.

The ads that I am seeing and hearing as I described in my post up thread are to the right and left of the forum.
Last week, (or the week before?) the ads were for USPS.
This week the ads are for something like tip2 to go enjoy, taste, travel? Something along those lines. (no vocals this time; however it's taking a very long time for this post to Auto Save and to type a single letter.)

There are ads in the middle as well (between posts). These ads are tied to me and DH's personal online shopping tastes. For example; we bought some area rugs last week and the site we purchased them from is in the center (between posts). Another example is... we both like World Market Place and that is another ad that is in the center (between posts).

Tried using other browsers...
Chrome was even worse. Kept getting a warning at the very top of page on the left hand side in a yellow box that flash player had stopped working, within the box (the yellow box), I was given a choice to select reload flash player.
Also, using Chrome I was booted about every 5 minutes or so. Chrome automatically signs me so I had to sign back in over and over.
I tried using Trisha's solution but...no go. I wonder if I should try again?

Using Microsoft Edge, when I'm booted I stay signed in. That's a bonus I guess.

I'd estimate it took over a hour to type this post.
I have no idea what to do.
I'm wondering if I should copy and paste this post in a pm to Trisha...

eta: make that one hour 45 minutes

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back