CA CA - Carlsbad, Adult male leg and boot washed ashore, Mar'16

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
the link says the family has not been notified, does that mean they know who it is?

rubber boot makes me think someone who fell from a vessel.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
#UP53732

Date Body Found March 16, 2016
ME/C Case Number 16-00682

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity White/Caucasian
Estimated Age Group Cannot Determine
Height Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate

General Location 70 yards south of the 3000 block of the Ocean Street beach access stairwell, located in Carlsbad, 92008 Carlsbad, California 92008

Circumstances of Recovery A citizen was riding his bicycle when he noticed a boot floating in the ocean waves near the 3000 block of Ocean Street and Carlsbad Village Drive. He pulled the boot from the water and noticed what appeared to be bones located inside. No other bones or clothing items were located.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Clothing
left over-the-knee rubber wading boot, a yellow and blue striped athletic sock, a tibia bone

Thumbnail

The sock looks quite vintage, unless it's a "retro" reproduction. Yet the boot and sock itself don't appear very deteriorated...

The sock looks quite vintage, unless it's a "retro" reproduction. Yet the boot and sock itself don't appear very deteriorated...

Those socks look Japanese to me - like, from Japan. If so they could be synthetic, which...

...is there a chance this could be from a 2011 tsunami victim?

Those socks look Japanese to me - like, from Japan. If so they could be synthetic, which...

...is there a chance this could be from a 2011 tsunami victim?

I don't think so, as one of the reports says "They are unable to identify the ethnicity of the deceased but say a feature often found in skeletons of Asian or Native American ancestry is not present in the tibia."

The sock looks like a standard athletic sock to me. The boots are the kind you'd wear while fishing or doing muddy farm work, but they're a little too light-duty for working on a fishing boat, IMHO. Too narrow of a sole and too high of a heel. The leather tag in front would probably have the company on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back