6 year old has sleepover with Mom..... in Jail

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Prisons adapt to female inmates

Once the thin blue mattress rolls out from under the single bed, the prison cell is sleepover-ready.

The trundle bed is the best thing Suzanne Locke has here. Along with good behavior, it allows her to host her 6-year-old daughter, Marae, for monthly overnight visits during her 12-year sentence for arson in the state prison for women.

"She's my saving grace," said Locke, 26, who says she was high on methamphetamine four years ago when she set fire to a house and a trailer home over unpaid drug debts. "This little girl loves me. She's got me up on this huge pedestal, and I've got to live up to her standards."

Women are the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. prison population, a trend fueled by their growing involvement in drug crimes and by longer sentences in general. But once behind bars, their needs are often overlooked because of tight budgets and the attention given to sex offenders and death-row inmates, advocates say.

Full Story

I do not agree with this at all. A 6 yr old should not be in that environment. If mom is so concerned about her daughter, she needs to do her time and get her act together. This makes me sick.

While I don;t agree with her sharig her mother's cell. I do agree with maintaining the parent child relationship.

I watched a show where some state, and I can't remember where, had little efficiency rooms set up so mothers could have weekend visits with their children...that seems more suitable for them.

This little girl loves me. She's got me up on this huge pedestal, and I've got to live up to her standards."

Those are some high standards to shoot for.

Women are the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. prison population

Other than men, what other segment is there?

This mother should have been thinking about her daughter when she committed her crimes... I have no sympathy for her. Her daughter is the one suffering.

I do not think that a child should be sleeping in a prison. IF IF IF they feel the need to do this for the child, then I agree with the poster above who said there should be some type of effiancy apartment on the grounds ~ to make it feel a little more warm and secure..

But just think of the story the little girl has for show and tell the following week at school!

:slap:

Believe it or not, they do this for the child's benefit. A child who has a parent in prison, is a child who has a high likelyhood of going to prison themselves one day. It is thought that the feelings of abandonment they feel when their parent goes to prison, combined with the way kids look up to their parents and a host of other factors contribute to the child being more likely to get involved in illegal activity. This way the child doesn't have those idealized visions of their parent in prison, they are able to maintain the attachment with the parent (perhaps even growing closer to them) and they also get a look at what life is really like on the inside. Also, it gives the inmate reason to make positive changes in what they do, and how they behave. It is hoped that maintaining the attachment between parent and child- there might be a positive outcome for both the parent and child. Because they have that shared experience in prison, hopefully when the parent gets out, they will feel closer to their child and think more about them before getting involved in illegal activity again.

mysteriew said:
Believe it or not, they do this for the child's benefit. A child who has a parent in prison, is a child who has a high likelyhood of going to prison themselves one day. It is thought that the feelings of abandonment they feel when their parent goes to prison, combined with the way kids look up to their parents and a host of other factors contribute to the child being more likely to get involved in illegal activity. This way the child doesn't have those idealized visions of their parent in prison, they are able to maintain the attachment with the parent (perhaps even growing closer to them) and they also get a look at what life is really like on the inside. Also, it gives the inmate reason to make positive changes in what they do, and how they behave. It is hoped that maintaining the attachment between parent and child- there might be a positive outcome for both the parent and child. Because they have that shared experience in prison, hopefully when the parent gets out, they will feel closer to their child and think more about them before getting involved in illegal activity again.
Well said, mysteriew! :clap:

mysteriew said:

I agree with this as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back