Case File 3828DMKY

MManns.jpg
Mitchell Manns
Missing since March 16, 1990 from Floyd County, Kentucky
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 23, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1"; 300 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
Clothing: White T-shirt; Blue work pants; White "All Star", tennis shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mitchell Manns was supposedly heading to the McDowell Hospital in Floyd County on March 16th, 1990, but never made it. Police believe foul play could be involved in his disappearance.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3828dmky.html

Unidentified Person Exclusions per NamUs:
UP6530 05/18/1990 Chesterfield VA
UP6548 10/31/1990 Amelia VA
UP6304 08/01/1993 Clarke VA
UP6149 01/22/1996 Halifax VA
UP6637 10/07/2006 Fairfax VA
UP6278 07/05/2007 Botetourt VA
UP14518 04/03/2010 Shenandoah VA
UP11248 08/20/2012 Alexandria VA
UP10908 08/29/2012 Fairfax VA
UP14360 08/14/2015 Bland VA

Mitchell Manns http://charleyproject.org/case/mitchell-manns

Missing Since: March 16, 1990
Missing From: Martin, Kentucky
Classification: Endangered Missing
Sex/Race: Male/White
Date of Birth: June 23, 1951
Height: 6'1”

Weight: 300 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel

Clothing/Jewelry Description:
A white t-shirt, blue work pants and blue All-Star sneakers.

Details of Disappearance
Manns was last seen at the Triangle Mart in Martin, Kentucky on March 16, 1990. He was supposedly en route to McDowell Hospital, but never arrived there and has never been heard from again.

There was speculation that Harry Eugene Hale was connected to Manns's disappearance. Hale was convicted of credit card fraud in 1993 after he used a card belonging to Christoph Zahn, who disappeared from Georgia in 1992.

Hale had a reputation for stalking bus stations and highways searching for young male transients. He is suspected of drugging and sexually assaulting young men in several states. Some of Zahn's belongings were found in Hale's mother's home. He has not been charged in connection with Zahn or Manns's disappearances, however.

Manns lived in Allen, Kentucky in 1990. Foul play is suspected in his case. It remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
Kentucky State Police 606-433-7711

Source Information
NamUs
The Charley Project

The Doe Network

Wondering why MM would be considered a possible victim of Hale?
That, and why it says he was on his way to the hospital when he disappeared? Why was he going to the hospital? I googled and unless it’s changed since then, it doesn’t look to be any kind of specialty hospital. I can’t figure out where the connection to Hale fits in. Possibly an acquaintance who knew to much? IDK....I’m also trying to find a better photo of him. I found one on classmates that could be him, looks similar, it was from a school on North Carolina I think. But not confident because it’s hard to compare anything to the current photo of Mitchell. There must be another one somewhere..

That, and why it says he was on his way to the hospital when he disappeared? Why was he going to the hospital? I googled and unless it’s changed since then, it doesn’t look to be any kind of specialty hospital. I can’t figure out where the connection to Hale fits in. Possibly an acquaintance who knew to much? IDK....I’m also trying to find a better photo of him. I found one on classmates that could be him, looks similar, it was from a school on North Carolina I think. But not confident because it’s hard to compare anything to the current photo of Mitchell. There must be another one somewhere..

They both lived in the same area. Although in other areas of this website it says Harry lived in Prestonsburg, he actually lived in the area between Martin (Triangle Market) and McDowell (McDowell ARH Hospital).

Not sure why McDowell would need to be a specialty hospital? It's just a regular hospital. If you're wondering why Mitchell didn't go to the nearest hospital (in Martin) it could be that he didn't care for that hospital and selected to go to the next nearest one. The other closest hospital would be in Prestonsburg and it's a bit further away.

They both lived in the same area. Although in other areas of this website it says Harry lived in Prestonsburg, he actually lived in the area between Martin (Triangle Market) and McDowell (McDowell ARH Hospital).

Not sure why McDowell would need to be a specialty hospital? It's just a regular hospital. If you're wondering why Mitchell didn't go to the nearest hospital (in Martin) it could be that he didn't care for that hospital and selected to go to the next nearest one. The other closest hospital would be in Prestonsburg and it's a bit further away.
Welcome to Ws MC_Merci, merci for chiming in!

Welcome! And thanks for joining the thread!

I was trying to figure out the reason for his hospital trip - was it an emergency visit or more of an extended stay (like a psychiatric stay, for example).? Just trying to better understand the circumstances of his disappearance.

He was going to the hospital to see a family member that was in the hospital. There are no other pictures of him online because he didn't like his picture taken. The only pictures of him is in a photo album at his moms house who passed away not knowing what happen to him he was a really good man he stayed to himself and he loved his family. That day was one of the hardest days we all had to go though and still have to wonder where he may be. He is truly missed and we hope to bring him home one day to be with his family that has waited and searched all these years I will never give up hope that my uncle will be found and the hale man he was just a suspect because he would find good hearted people and hurt them

He was visiting family and mitchell lived in Allen ky

A car was pulled from Dewey Lake back in March of this year. The description given for the pants and shoes makes me wonder whether these are Mitchell's remains. I also wonder whether Mitchell drank Diet Pepsi.

KY - KY - Prestonsburg, Dewey Lake, Arrowhead Point, UnsUnc Adult, UP89870, Skeletal Remains in Submerged Vehicle, Sz 38x32 Pants, Sz 12 EEE Shoes, Mar'22
Not Mitchell (see posts 11-15):

Wondering why MM would be considered a possible victim of Hale?
the home where harry hale lived in floyd county is around 9 miles from where MM was last seen. the distance from the place MM was last seen to the hospital he was supposed to be going to is about 13 miles and he was supposedly asking for a ride. its possible hh might have picked him up. no evidence of that but speculation.

yeah i know about mitchell manns, i wanted to find anything i could about Harry Hale before his arrest for credit card fraud.
You mean after he killed Christoph Zahn? (I guess I should say “suspected”, but Harry Hale was using Zahn’s credit cards, and when LE later searched Hale’s home in KY they found Zahn’s camera and a quilt Christoph had purchased as a gift for his mother back in Switzerland).

Between April 30 and May 11, 1992 Harry Eugene Hale used Zahn’s credit card(s) 31 times in the Atlanta area, including Cobb and Carrol Counties. At the time of Zahn’s disappearance (CZ was last heard from on a phone call to his travel agent at 4:15 pm on the 28th), Hale was living in Austell, GA. He was later arrested in Miami on forgery charges.

HEH is also suspected in the death of Walter Cropper. Although Cropper’s body was discovered in Adairsville, GA, Cropper lived in same area of KY as Hale. LE believe Hale may have killed Cropper in KY. Cropper’s Seiko “walk-along recorder was also found in Hale’s home in KY.

There are threads on WS for both Christoph Zahn and Walter Cropper. Maybe this post from Zahn’s thread will help answer some of your questions in Mitchell Manns’ case:

GA - GA - Christoph Zahn, 21, Atlanta, 28 April 1992

I think HEH may have been responsible for more disappearances of young men in KY, GA, and FL (he had residences in all three places), and maybe some places in between. As I suggested in the CZ post, I think HEH could have been the southeastern US version of Randy Kraft.

All jmo

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member