Identified! KY - Male Skeletal Remains, 2004 - Otha Young

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The skeletal body of a man was found along Interstate 75 nearly a year ago. At the time, Kentucky's forensic anthropologist said he could have been in that ditch along the busy freeway a decade. As it turned out, she was right. The man found murdered in Northern Kentucky disappeared from Louisville 9 years ago. As Local 12's Deborah Dixon tells us, there were several clues left behind on the body, but it was forensic science that made the i-d.

At first, police thought the skeletal remains found in a ditch near the Turfway exit were a homeless man. But evidence pointed more to a working man...blue overalls, thick black glasses, almost eye protectors, but no identification. Even the false teeth couldn't be traced, because there was so much work done on them. The video card was so old, the owner couldn't be found.

It was forensic science that identified the remains found in Florence nearly a year ago, as 65 year-old Otha Young of Louisville, reported missing October 10, 1996. There was evidence of heart surgery. In fact, surgical wires were still in the breastbone. http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1F551CCD-BD38-45BC-B2CB-034A9303EBFC

mysteriew said:
The skeletal body of a man was found along Interstate 75 nearly a year ago. At the time, Kentucky's forensic anthropologist said he could have been in that ditch along the busy freeway a decade. As it turned out, she was right. The man found murdered in Northern Kentucky disappeared from Louisville 9 years ago. As Local 12's Deborah Dixon tells us, there were several clues left behind on the body, but it was forensic science that made the i-d.

At first, police thought the skeletal remains found in a ditch near the Turfway exit were a homeless man. But evidence pointed more to a working man...blue overalls, thick black glasses, almost eye protectors, but no identification. Even the false teeth couldn't be traced, because there was so much work done on them. The video card was so old, the owner couldn't be found.

It was forensic science that identified the remains found in Florence nearly a year ago, as 65 year-old Otha Young of Louisville, reported missing October 10, 1996. There was evidence of heart surgery. In fact, surgical wires were still in the breastbone. http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1F551CCD-BD38-45BC-B2CB-034A9303EBFC
That is an incredible story. It gives me hope that other cold cases can be solved using today's forensic techniques.

Thanks for posting this story!

It just amazed me that he was lying there next to a busy highway and it was 10 years before anyone noticed.

mysteriew said:
It just amazed me that he was lying there next to a busy highway and it was 10 years before anyone noticed.

My first thought was don't they ever mow that ditch? Maybe it was concrete in that area. It makes you wonder if you've ever drivven by a body and not known it.

I'm glad he has been identified.

SewingDeb said:
My first thought was don't they ever mow that ditch? Maybe it was concrete in that area. It makes you wonder if you've ever drivven by a body and not known it.

I'm glad he has been identified.
Good question.

I hope the find at least brings some resolution.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back