Have you seen me?

SpongeBathHotPants

❤️ Know your worth and add tax ❤️
Reaction score
I had an odd thing happen. According to social security I was born a year after I was actually born. My parents and I moved around a lot when I was a kid and we never bought a house, always rented. On my birth cert my father is listed as Unknown but he was there when I was born. I have no baby pictures of myself before my first birthday. Am I crazy or does this seem strange to anyone else? If so what do I do?

So now you are wondering if you are really you orrrrr if you are you are someone diguised as you - eh? [Thats sort of taken from an old Andy Griffith show.]

Actully there could be reasonable explanations for all that. Are your parents available to ask?

Weird!!! My friend has a boyfriend who lives in New Jersey right now. Last year he told my friend he was a year older than he had thought, he was and still is very upset about this. I don't know how it happened although he did come from another country. So your dad was there when you were born? Do you still have contact w/him? (sorry if that's too personal) What about your birth certificate? I know my middle name is spelled Rachael w/SS and Rachel on my Birth certificate...not quite as big a diff as yours though.

No, my mother died in 1992 and my father and I don't speak.

I definitely think there are reasonable explanations for this. I had something super weird happen to me last week.....
On Saturday night I was headed up to see my BF (he goes to college 2 hrs away) anyway a state trooper ran my plates for me. I explained to him that I had mailed in my renewal about 2 months ago and the check still hadn't cleared, all I wanted to know was how long to wait since I was driving around w/expired plates. So he came said he'd run my plates and see if it was already renewed. When he came back he told me my plates were still registered under "my pontiac" I've NEVER owned a pontiac...I drive a 99 Honda Civic, he also asked if I used to live in Wausau....I never have and currently live in Madison. So anyways he said it could be from transferring my plates, but these plates were issued to me straight from the DMV when I bought my car. Sorry this is soooo long!!! He advised I go to the DMV Monday, so I did-of course it was stinkin Columbus day!! Ok so I called the DMV while I was there, and ended up speaking w/the director for field services all over WI...so he called me back later and told me that A woman bought a car LAST SUMMER, right after I renewed my plates. He said she transferred her plates and whoever processed this transposed a letter/number! So this lady was driving around w/the same plates as me for a year!!!!! And basically my car had NO PLATES, even though they were mine. What if her car was stolen??? Or she had a warrant out for her and I got pulled over? Yikes! I'm really lucky I was never pulled over. So I was shocked this had happened and thats why I think that possibly entered a 1 digit difference by mistake?? I'm really sorry this is sooooooo long! I'm bad at summing things up in a nutshell!

I grew up with a name,ss# and "birth certificate I thought belonged to me until ...on my Mamas deathbed...I found out I wasn't me. Different name,fake b.cert...SS# one digit off real one. Got my real B.Cert w/real name...has my real dads name on it too....been trying since 82 to find him and tell him...hey ..you had a girl in 47 !!! The guy I believed was my dad was in the Navy and had made me a phony B.Cert but never legally adopted me...The whole SS issue wasn't cleared up til 2001 and I have doubts still if it was.
And I still don't know who I really am...deathbed confessions suck...and families that keep secrets like mine do more harm than they realize. Good Luck....
Sorry about the rambling....but your post hit a raw nerve. Someone in your family probably knows the truth and hopefully will answer your questions.

Well I have always wondered if my father was my real father. Every woman on both my mom and my dad's side are all under 5'5 and I am 5'8. They all have dark hair and eyes and I have dark blonde hair with green eyes. My mom dated this guy all through high school and he went away to the Navy after high school and they broke up. So mom hooks up with dad and then they break up in Feb and she goes home to NH. the ex BF comes home the December before and he is there the whole time. Well mom and dad get back together in June and mom finds out that she is pregnant with me and I was born in February. According to mom I was really early but I weighed 6 pounds. If there is anyone here that lived in Franklin NH in 1974 let me know. It is a tiny town and I have a few questions. Also, if anyone knows of a little girl under the age of 1 that was kidnapped or missing in 1975 let me know. My whole family is from upstate NY and NH so if it rings a bell let me know.

NanaMcZoo said:
I grew up with a name,ss# and "birth certificate I thought belonged to me until ...on my Mamas deathbed...I found out I wasn't me. Different name,fake b.cert...SS# one digit off real one. Got my real B.Cert w/real name...has my real dads name on it too....been trying since 82 to find him and tell him...hey ..you had a girl in 47 !!! The guy I believed was my dad was in the Navy and had made me a phony B.Cert but never leagally adopted me...The whole SS issue wasn't cleared up til 2001 and I have doubts still if it was.
And I still don't know who I really am...deathbed confessions suck...and families that keep secrets like mine do more harm than they realize. Good Luck....
Sorry about the rambling....but your post hit a raw nerve. Someone in your family probably knows the truth and hopefully will answer your questions.
Wow, I'm really sorry this happened to you :-( I hope you find out who your real dad is, wish I could help! Good luck!

SpongeBathHotPants said:
I had an odd thing happen. According to social security I was born a year after I was actually born. My parents and I moved around a lot when I was a kid and we never bought a house, always rented. On my birth cert my father is listed as Unknown but he was there when I was born. I have no baby pictures of myself before my first birthday. Am I crazy or does this seem strange to anyone else? If so what do I do?

So you do have a birth certificate?

Have you ever tried to buy a 'copy' to see if they match?

Thanx Marisa.I went to the state capitol courthouse in SC to obtain my real BC..it states my real dads name as Joseph Francis Roy and that his place of birth was Brooklyn ,NY and he was 21 at my time of birth( Jan, 47) and that he was in the US Navy. Thats it. I spent a small forune trying to obtain info on him in the 80s....don't know a damn bit more now than I did then...except his naval records were destroyed in some big fire along with a lot of others.

SpongeBath...do whatever it takes to get your actual BC...not the little microfilm thingie that states limited info. Get the one that tells your time and place of birth,both parents names, etc. I sincerely hope you get further than I...because I know what NOT having answers has done to me,and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

NanaMcZoo said:
Thanx Marisa.I went to the state capitol courthouse in SC to obtain my real BC..it states my real dads name as Joseph Francis Roy and that his place of birth was Brooklyn ,NY and he was 21 at my time of birth( Jan, 47) and that he was in the US Navy. Thats it. I spent a small forune trying to obtain info on him in the 80s....don't know a damn bit more now than I did then...except his naval records were destroyed in some big fire along with a lot of others.

SpongeBath...do whatever it takes to get your actual BC...not the little microfilm thingie that states limited info. Get the one that tells your time and place of birth,both parents names, etc. I sincerely hope you get further than I...because I know what NOT having answers has done to me,and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
I checked out the ancestry.com site for you and found this SS info (absolutely nothing close on the 1930 Census). This SS was the only match and I assume he would have turned 22 during 1947. Not much to go on, but you can try writing or contacting the last address. There is hope; I found a WWII birth father with nothing but a first name and possible surname (child was born in France), dna confirmed everything. Just wanted you to know that it's possible to find your bio father.

For the record: SS death records are free public records and easily found on the net, it's not a violation of any privacy.
Social Security Death Index Record

Name: Joseph Roy SSN: 114-28-9664 Born: 6 Aug 1925 Last Benefit: 14830 Corning, Steuben, New York, United States of America Died: Oct 1977 State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1952-1954 )

Wow ! Thank you. I purchased Ancestry stuff in the fall of 2000. Never found out a thing. I often wonder if I have siblings...when I went to NY...several times in the 80s,to look for myself,I would call all the Roy's in the ph book trying to find out anything...to no avail. There is so much mystery surrounding this man that sometimes I think he must have been an axe murderer. My Aunt did tell me my mom didn't let him know she was pg....but later said she thought he knew and came to see me once.
I threw out all the ancestry software I purchased.....totally gave up on ever finding him. Thank you again for this info...he sounds like a good "suspect":bang:

You're welcome. It was easy enough and quick enough to do. I'm not sure if that address is street number & name or zip code, city, county & state. It's probably the zip and city. But at least it's a place to start with phone calls or publishing in newspapers. Since I couldn't find him in the 1930 Census I think the surname was mis-spelled (by a transciber or the census taker). I'm going to check using Ray and see what comes up.

I just looked up Steuben on the map..it's 9 hours from me. I know Roy is a French name and is often spelled Roi....I can't believe there is a chance I ight find more info,relatives,etc...kind of scary. One of my "friends" told me years ago,shortly after I found out I wasn't really me...that my natural dad must have been a monster for my mom to have fought so hard to take her secrets to the grave. Actually,she did ..it was my Aunt that told me..then the hosp. therapist said I had to go in her room,tell her I understood why she did what she did,that I forgave her and loved her and she could leave now. I did that as a zombie..left the hosp.,drove 18 hours back home,walked in the door to ph ringing to let me know she had passed. I did not go to her funeral...and I have to live with that.

NanaMcZoo said:
Wow ! Thank you. I purchased Ancestry stuff in the fall of 2000. Never found out a thing. I often wonder if I have siblings...when I went to NY...several times in the 80s,to look for myself,I would call all the Roy's in the ph book trying to find out anything...to no avail. There is so much mystery surrounding this man that sometimes I think he must have been an axe murderer. My Aunt did tell me my mom didn't let him know she was pg....but later said she thought he knew and came to see me once.
I threw out all the ancestry software I purchased.....totally gave up on ever finding him. Thank you again for this info...he sounds like a good "suspect":bang:
Well I think I found a very good match (the other closest ones are birth dates of 1922 and 1929) using the surname Ray.

1930 United States Federal Census Record

Name: Joseph Ray Age: Age;4 Estimated birth year: abt 1926 Relation to head-of-house: Son Father's Name: Walter Ray Mother's Name: Mae Ray Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
There is also an older brother named Walter born about 1920.

Email me at genealogy dot researcher at gmail dot com, and I'll send you the Census image later today.

There's nothing close using the names Roi or Roe. The mother of the child whose father I found also kept the secret even when dying. That was a shocking and stressful way for you to find out and you have a right to be angry with your mom but times were a lot different then as I'm sure you know. I doubt your bio father was a monster, there are 101 reasons why she might have made the decision she did.

Yes..maybe a 102...she was 15 when I was born. I just emailed you...hope I did it right. I hope spongebath isn't going through any of this...it's so hard not knowing.

SpongeBathHotPants said:
No, my mother died in 1992 and my father and I don't speak.
SpongeBath, the only place I think you have to start is with your father - call or write him and ask hard questions. Also speak to any Aunts, Uncles, cousins or family friends and neighbors that would have been alive when you were born.

I sent an email to my mother's sister and she said that she wasn't around when my mom was pregnant. She says that my parent's (they were big time hippies) were living on an apple vineyard while she was pregnant. I wonder if that is why I like apples so much LOL. I will keep trying though.

SpongeBathHotPants said:
I sent an email to my mother's sister and she said that she wasn't around when my mom was pregnant. She says that my parent's (they were big time hippies) were living on an apple vineyard while she was pregnant. I wonder if that is why I like apples so much LOL. I will keep trying though.
Good start :) So now you need to call your Aunt back and ask what year it was that she learned you were born. Don't mention the 2 different years, just ask. And ask when it was that anyone in the family first met you (if parents said your were only 1 but you looked and acted age 2 that would be pretty obvious). Also ask if birth announcements were sent out or if a letter mentioning you was sent after you were born, and again what year was that. Most likely this is a mix-up by the SS administration, but the 'unknown' father and the lack of infant pics are worth investigating (but if your parents were living that sort of life then they probably didn't have photo opportunities).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back