CA CA - Jennifer Atkins, 31, Humboldt County, Nov 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Woman reported missing
getimage-230x269.jpg

On Monday, May 16 the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office spoke to a citizen, who wanted to report her 31-year-old daughter missing. She last spoke to her daughter, Jennifer Leann Atkins about six months ago.
http://madriverunion.com/woman-reported-missing/

That article is actually the full text of the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office press release since it appears verbatim on several small, local media sites, but the actual press release is not available yet on their website or Facebook. It's a small department, but it's still best practice to post press releases on websites and social media at the same time they are emailed to media.

A few points from the press release:

• Jennifer has no cell phone or car
  • Was living at a shelter in Arcata, CA
  • Mother hasn't heard from her in 6 months
  • No bank activity in several months (mother receives bank statements)
  • Willow Creek area is a wilderness area with a population of maybe 1500, about thirty miles east of Arcata-Eureka:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Willow+Creek,+CA/@40.8676489,-123.7973824

..but after six months, she could be anywhere. Come home safe, Jennifer.

I find it shocking and terrible no one looked for her sooner. Poor girl.

Official press release.
[h=3]Missing Person - Case 201602448[/h]
On Monday, May 16, 2016, the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office spoke to a citizen, who wanted to report her 31 year old daughter missing. The citizen she last spoke to her daughter, Jennifer Leann Atkins about (6) months ago.
The missing person’ mother said her daughter was living in the Eureka area and at times was staying at a shelter in the Arcata. The mother said she receives her daughter’s bank statements at her house and there has been no bank activity in the last several months which is alarming to her.
The mother said Jennifer does not have a vehicle or a cellular telephone and may be in the Willow Creek area. The mother is concerned for her daughter’s safety.
Anyone with information for the Sheriff’s Office regarding this case or related criminal activity is encouraged to call the Sheriff’s Office at 707-445-7251 or the Sheriff’s Office Crime Tip line at 707-268-2539.
Mike Downey
Sheriff

Nothing on their Facebook that I can see, which probably gets more local traffic than the website. They don't seem to use their twitter much.

The fact that Jennifer's mother specifically mentioned Jennifer not touching her bank account reminds me of similar situation regarding Christine Walters, who was also last seen in Eureka, CA, in 2008.

"Take the case of Christine Walters, a Wisconsin woman who went missing from Eureka on Nov. 11, 2008. The 23-year-old's backpack, wallet and ID were found just after her disappearance. A bank account with a few hundred dollars in it has not been touched. She was known to take long walks in the Arcata Community Forest by herself. She hasn't contacted her family." BBM

http://www.times-standard.com/article/zz/20090608/NEWS/906089766

Jennifer's case is probably too recent to include her in the missing Humboldt Five, dating from 2014 back to the nineties. They were featured on Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hanson this week, so I'll post it here for information purposes.

The POI in the 2014 disappearances of Sheila Franks and Danielle Bertolini is Jim Jones, 43, who grew up in Humboldt. He also knew Karen Mitchell but hasn't been connected to her disappearance. It would be interesting to know if Jennifer crossed paths with him.

Two videos at link.
http://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/10/...-five-women-in-a-california-county-connected/

Unidentified remains found:
Sgt. Ken Swithenbank of the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that human remains had been found near a transient camp north of Redway today.
Though Swithenbank said that the remains were “not recent.” They had been there “a significant length of time,” he explained.

http://kymkemp.com/2016/10/30/human-remains-found-north-of-redway/

I hope she is okay. There's not much out there about her.

I just googled and found nothing new. So sad for her Mom, not knowing. :(

Bumping for Jennifer. Here's hoping 2017 is the year for answers. :heartbeat:

Jennifer you haven't been forgotten. More women continue to disappear from Arcata. We continue to look for the person responsible and we won't stop until he comes out of hiding.

Kim Kemp joins with the Northcoast Journal in exploring those missing in the Emerald Triangle...Humboldt, Trinity and Mendocino counties. She lists everyone missing in the three counties...at least the ones she could find listed.

Note the event for the families of the missing in Sacramento June 9-10. Quoting Kym’s beautiful writing....

[FONT=&quot]Long after the missing posters on those who have vanished have faded and blown away in the wind, some family members will keep vigil. Some will keep vigil silently–barely acknowledging out loud the loose thread that caught on their heart when their loved one vanished and which now threatens to unravel their life. Some will keep vigil by reaching out to the media or police or both on a regular basis, hoping even decades after their loss that they will get answers. They hope but, at the same time, they fear to know for sure that their loved one is dead.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have a family or friend missing, an event this June 9 in Sacramento may be helpful to you. This free event will have law enforcement available to help record information. Family members can give DNA samples if they choose to help with identification. They are also “encouraged to bring photos, along with medical and dental records of their missing loved ones.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

http://kymkemp.com/2018/02/01/who-is-missing-in-the-emerald-counties/

Googled her under full name of Jennifer Leann Atkins, Jennifer Atkins Eureka, Willow Springs, Arcata. Found some links, but it's the same old rebop. Nothing new.

Woman reported missing

Jennifer Leann Atkins | I Have Vanished

MISSING: Eureka Woman Reported Missing by Mother After Six Months Without Contact

This is pathetic. We don't even have a physical description of her. Her photos give us brunette hair, green? eyes. No height, weight, distinguishing marks, DOB, etc. Is there another websleuth talented enough to conjure up such?

Indeed, it makes me go "Hmm, where did they find a California house with a basement?"

That is the first thing an East Coaster notices when they move to Cal...nobody seems to have a basement under their house.

Boy, what a mess! No physical description. No certainty of who reported her missing. No idea of who is looking for her. No idea of her lifestyle, interests, love life, etc. It's a global search with no starting point.

I just reviewed the links above, as well as my hard copy file. Then I checked the Charley Project and the Doe Network; no listing. NamUS won't let me register, so I couldn't check there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back