WI - Luann Beckman, 47, found murdered, Phelps, 15 May 2016

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.waow.com/story/32005276/2016/05/18/womans-body-found-on-walking-trail-near-phelps

A 47-year-old woman found dead on a snowmobile trail was murdered, Vilas County Chief Deputy Patrick Schmidt said Thursday.

The partially clothed body of Luann Beckman was discovered Tuesday afternoon by some people out for a walk. Investigators are "fairly confident" she was killed Sunday night, Schmidt said.

"We know how she died now. The big hurdle is why and by whom," he said in a telephone interview from Eagle River.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...unty-walking-trail-b99728610z1-380122881.html

Beckman was seen bicycling in Phelps around 4:30 p.m. Sunday, but few other details about her have been released by investigators...

"She wasn't fully clothed," Stevens told the TV station. "She had a few bags that were scattered up the hill, and all the stuff was ripped out of them and scattered all over the hill and the trail and her purse."

John Lordan, LordanARTS YouTube, has Luann Beckman's son Zach on his show today. What a brave man. My heart goes out to him. I hope LE can solve his mother's case soon.

Just saw it too. What a heartbreaking story! And also kudos to Zach for being so composed and articulate when speaking about such a horrible tragedy. I can't even begin to imagine what he must be feeling.

John brought up a good point on his show. If her top was off, but there was no evidence of a sexual assault, could the top have been used to smother her, in addition to the manual strangulation? Was the top ever found?

Zach clarified one point, namely that he doesn't believe his mother's papers are directly related to the case. At the time, Luann was applying to different jobs, so the papers may have been related to that (e.g., resumes, cover letters, references, etc.) or even bills.

However, I think some of the people Zach mentioned are definitely causes for suspicion.

One man, now deceased, had apparently followed Luann at some point to Florida where she lived for several years. He was back in Phelps, WI living with, and possibly in a relationship with, Luann's mother (Zach's grandmother). Luann was also living with her mother at the time, and disappeared about 1/3 of a mile away from that house.

Another man (also deceased?) had allegedly threatened to kill Luann if he ever saw her in town again.

The show also played a recording of Luann's last call to her son at 8:42 p.m. on the very night she was murdered. I can't tell for sure, but to me it sounds like she may have been drinking by that point. Alcohol bottles were found nearby at the crime scene.

I wonder if Luann's killer was interested in her, but she rejected him. There doesn't need to be sexual assault for a crime to be sexually motivated. The murder itself could be the "punishment" for the rejection (i.e. "if he can't have her, no one can"). Her top could've been used in the murder, or could've been taken off just to humiliate her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crime.junkie
Back