GA - 6 year old attacked in school bathroom by 5th grader, 19 May 2016

JeannaT

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.kvue.com/news/5th-grade-girl-savagely-attacks-1st-grade-girl-in-school-bathroom/206815777

So I'm really dismayed by the mother's reaction. Her child is running about in the yard with siblings (I'm guessing) and seems happy as can be until her mother discusses the fact that she couldn't stop crying about the incident. This little one was attacked, and now the 5th grader is in Juvy for it, and has been charged, and the child will recover, but I'm concerned about the mother's reaction. "Wow, honey, it's awful that you were attacked but now that girl won't hurt you again. You're one tough cookie" would have been so much more healing than the reaction.

Why are we training our children to dissolve into tears? Why are we not training them to be tough and resilient? Honestly, this child only looks sad in the presence of her mother who can't get over it. And the reporter's reaction is over the top. It's as if she's discovered 40 people burned at the stake. ???

<modsnip>

I didn't interpret the clip the same way you did.

The marks on her face and the description of the girl hitting her head on the toilet with a teacher who could not get into the bathroom sound awful to me. I might have been hysterical also. We never know how the media splices together pieces. I thought the mom was not out of line in anyway. But, we each see it differently, I suppose.

Glad the 5th grader is in court. Sounds like something is up with her.

How is this child helped by her mother saying I could only cry? I don't know what to do? ??

Ok. I"m 56. If this happened to me in my childhood, my mother would praise me for being strong, and encourage me by telling me the perp was in Juvy court. There is NOTHING, IMHO, to be gained by dissolving into helplessness.

I am in your ballpark for age. I just see it as emotionality is not bad and one can teach resiliency even when you are emotional.

Hopefully they will consult a plastic surgeon because those scars could be prominent. I had a fairly major accident when young and had a plastic surgeon. I was not allowed in the sun, etc. And, you can still see many of them.

<modsnip>

Glad the 5th grader is in court. Sounds like something is up with her.

rsbm, in both cases

I'm not sure if it's a good thing to have a 5th grader in court, but jumpin' Jehoshaphat, <modsnip>

On some level you are right about court but I am thinking if she is this out of control (given the kind of beating she gave to the 1st grader) that her only hope might be judicial requirements for counseling and behavior control. Didn't mean to sound so harsh.

On some level you are right about court but I am thinking if she is this out of control (given the kind of beating she gave to the 1st grader) that her only hope might be judicial requirements for counseling and behavior control. Didn't mean to sound so harsh.

I think that in most places there are extrajudicial but still legally binding responses for situations like this; but aside from that, I don't think you were harsh.

So I'm really dismayed by the mother's reaction. Her child is running about in the yard with siblings (I'm guessing) and seems happy as can be until her mother discusses the fact that she couldn't stop crying about the incident. This little one was attacked, and now the 5th grader is in Juvy for it, and has been charged, and the child will recover, but I'm concerned about the mother's reaction. "Wow, honey, it's awful that you were attacked but now that girl won't hurt you again. You're one tough cookie" would have been so much more healing than the reaction.

Why are we training our children to dissolve into tears? Why are we not training them to be tough and resilient? Honestly, this child only looks sad in the presence of her mother who can't get over it. And the reporter's reaction is over the top. It's as if she's discovered 40 people burned at the stake. ???

<modsnip>.

<modsnip>

This girl will probably be suffering PTSD over this incident for a long time to come, and as usual the schools despite all their empty talk and anti-bully programs, do nothing to actually protect students. The mother&#8217;s and the reporter&#8217;s reactions were more then justified. Heads need to roll at the school, and the attacker needs to finish her schooling in a reform school.

Denying feelings and emotions causes lots of issues. Being stoic gets people to deny their pain. Admit it . That is what is healthy

A 11 year old beats up a 6 year old and the 6 year old should just soldier on? There's many issues to that kind of thinking. This will possibly be major trauma for that 6 year old child.
If two 6 year old got into a fight I would understand using it as a teaching situation. But a 6 year old and a 11-12 year old? There's something wrong with this girl. The amount of violence used against a smaller girl, should not be tolerated.

All MOO!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back