CarlK and a Fascinating New Podcast Series

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE LATEST INFO ON THE NEXT PODCAST

Hi Everyone,

You remember the amazing work Websleuths CarlK did on identifying Tammy Jo Alexander right?

Well, now there is an 8 part podcast series produced by the Democrat and Chronicle, D&C, ( a division of USA TODAY) telling the story of Tammy Jo. Put together by two great investigative journalists Gary Craig and Veronica Volk

The latest episode was the fourth in the series and it featured CarlK

CLICK HERE to listen to CarlK in the podcast.

I'll be putting up a reminder each week for the last remaining episodes and the Twitter chat that happens after each podcast.

Great Job again CarlK and to all of our wonderful Websleuths members please keep on doing what you're doing. You are making a difference.

Tricia
PS. Feel free to post your thoughts about the podcasts on this thread

I've been listening to the first few episodes of this - what a sad story.

Hi Everyone,

You remember the amazing work Websleuths CarlK did on identifying Tammy Jo Alexander right?

Well, now there is an 8 part podcast series produced by the Democrat and Chronicle, D&C, ( a division of USA TODAY) telling the story of Tammy Jo. Put together by two great investigative journalists Gary Craig and Veronica Volk

I'll be putting up a reminder each week for the last remaining episodes and the Twitter chat that happens after each podcast.

Great Job again CarlK and to all of our wonderful Websleuths members please keep on doing what you're doing. You are making a difference.

Tricia

For those that would like to see the corresponding WS thread for this case for background..is it both of these? .. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?257751-FL-Tammy-Jo-Alexander-16-Brooksville-8-Nov-1979 and/or http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?23127-NY-Caledonia-WhtFem-1UFNY-13-19-Turquoise-Necklace-Nov-79-*GRAPHIC* . (As Tricia requested, post thoughts about podcasts on this thread)

I like reading the thread while listening to the podcast! Just starting to read, and don't know if both are her... Tricia, which is correct and please perhaps correct if both are her?

ETA: Tricia, there is a Tammy facebook page which is active, am I allowed to link it?

HERE IS THE INFO FOR THE NEXT PODCAST

Dear Websleuths Members and Guests,

Podcast # 5 will air Sunday at 8:00 AM Eastern. The podcast will continue to tell the sad story of Tammy Jo Alexander.

Be sure and join them Sunday May 29th. Here is the link http://www.democratandchronicle.com/topic/c0b533a4-a341-43c3-b82f-fb93e2a57ac6/TammyJoAlexander/

Then Sunday night 7 PM Eastern join in the Twitter Chat. Hashtag #tammyjo

Don't forget to listen to episode 4 that features our wonderful CarlK.

Thank you,
Tricia

SCROLL DOWN FOR THE LATEST INFO ON THE NEXT PODCAST

Hi Everyone,

Tricia

Thanks Tricia. I've been posting about the podcast in Tammy's thread, we also post about it on Cali's FB page.

The podcast started out as being 10 minutes. I made a post on Cali's FB page to ask what everyone thought, Gary ended up reworking them to 15 minutes each.

The podcast can be accessed at findingtammyjo which is pretty easy to remember http://findingtammyjo.com/

Episode 4: Web Sleuths - Amateur online investigators would help connect the dots in the case of the unidentified girl. By Gary Craig, Veronica Volk

When the unidentified girl was found fatally shot in the Caledonia cornfield in 1979, the Internet was years from being a household tool for transmitting and receiving information. But, as the years passed and the Internet became a societal constant, Livingston County Sheriff John York predicted that it would one day answer the mystery of the girl’s identity.

What he did not know was that an online network of citizen sleuths had been following the case of “Cali Doe,” as the teenager was called. They’d been waiting for the slightest hint that could lead to her identification. And one California man in particular constantly drew new versions of her possible appearance, designed to show what she may have looked like before her death.

This citizen network, some of whom participated in the online website websleuths.com, would become central to the ultimate recognition of “Cali Doe.”

Episode 5: Forever Young

A woman starts searching for her long lost high school classmate, and is startled when she finds no trace of her at all. Gary Craig, Veronica Volk
In the current world of rampant social media and ample online history, Laurel Nowell could not believe she could not find a trace of her high school friend, Tammy Jo Alexander.

The two had been close as high school classmates in Brooksville, Fla., but had not seen each other since those days in the late 1970s. When Nowell went looking online for a history and possible current home of her friend, she was surprised that she found no sign or trace of Tammy Jo Alexander at all.

Unwilling to give up the search, Nowell connected with her friend’s sister, and their work would help resolve the mystery of a girl found fatally shot in a New York cornfield, more than 1,200 miles from Tammy Jo Alexander’s Florida home.

Live taping for the final podcast episode of Finding Tammy Jo. Join us at the Little Theater for a live taping of the final episode of Finding Tammy Jo, hosted by Gary Craig of the Democrat and Chronicle and Veronica Volk from WXXI News.

The event is June 13 at 7 p.m. - Reserve your seat RSVP here

This free event will include discussion by the hosts, as well as an audience question and answer session. Come in for a behind the scenes look at how the show is made, and learn more about the mysterious 1979 homicide that has been the focus of their reporting for over a year.

If you can't make it, don't worry: the discussion will be recorded and released the following Sunday on the Finding Tammy Jo podcast feed.

Hear previous episodes to best participate in the conversation: FindingTammyJo.com, WXXINews.org, iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.

FB Event page

Your link doesn't work Tricia

Episode 6: Runaway - Who was the free spirited, gregarious teenager who captivated everyone around her - in life and in death? By Gary Craig, Veronica Volk
A teenager from a troubled home, Tammy Jo Alexander somehow stayed outwardly joyful, though occasionally rebellious. When only 15-years-old, she hitchhiked across the country. Her mother, with an addiction to pills, along with her stepfather did not foster a nurturing, caring household.

But to her friends, Tammy Jo Alexander was exuberant and effervescent, with a spark to her personality that could not be contained.

Years later, after learning that her life had been taken far too early, her friends now try to understand just how she ended up the victim of a killer.

Had an issue this morning with the podcast, Democrat & Chronicle was asking me to pay to access the podcast. Gary Craig and Veronica Volk gave me a new link. If anyone has issues with the episode 7 link below, you can listen to the podcast on stitcher, Sound cloud, itunes or google play

Episode 7 Finding Tammy Jo's Killer - With the 2015 announcement that “Cali Doe” had been identified as Tammy Jo Alexander, the investigation into the 1979 homicide moved into a new phase: Trying to find her killer.

Investigators have tried to rebuild parts of Tammy Jo Alexander’s final year, revisiting her cross-country hitchhiking trip as well as the time she spent, apparently as a volunteer, at a ministry for parolees in the mountains of Georgia.

The investigation continues to this day, as tips continue to come in for police.

Had an issue this morning with the podcast, Democrat & Chronicle was asking me to pay to access the podcast. Gary Craig and Veronica Volk gave me a new link. If anyone has issues with the episode 7 link below, you can listen to the podcast on stitcher, Sound cloud, itunes or google play

Episode 7 Finding Tammy Jo's Killer - With the 2015 announcement that “Cali Doe” had been identified as Tammy Jo Alexander, the investigation into the 1979 homicide moved into a new phase: Trying to find her killer.

Investigators have tried to rebuild parts of Tammy Jo Alexander’s final year, revisiting her cross-country hitchhiking trip as well as the time she spent, apparently as a volunteer, at a ministry for parolees in the mountains of Georgia.

The investigation continues to this day, as tips continue to come in for police.

When I went to listen to the podcast this morning, it said "We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe Today - Full access starting at $13.00/month."

Gary Craig is working on the issue with the paywall. The plan has been all along for this to be available separate from the paywall but they've had so many routes to it that they didn't get all paths cleared. They're now working on it. As always, Gary and Veronica Volk appreciate the support that folks have given the podcast and our sharing of it on Cali's FB page. Praying her killer is found and brought to justice because of it! ‪#‎tammyjo‬

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back