CA - San Francisco, 'Miranda Eve', 3, found buried under house

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
Who is Miranda? Mystery of the young blonde girl who has lain perfectly preserved and still clutching a red rose inside a tiny coffin for 145 years beneath a San Francisco home

The red rose is still visible between the hands of the young girl, buried 145 years ago in a coffin that was recently discovered underneath a San Francisco home.

Construction workers were remodeling Ericka Karner's childhood home in the Richmond District when they hit the lead-and-bronze coffin buried underneath the concrete garage.

The three-foot casket's two windows revealed the perfectly preserved skin and long blonde hair of the girl, who is believed to have died when she was three-years-old.

It is believed the girl was one of the 30,000 people who were buried in the city's Odd Fellows Cemetery, which was active for 30 years before it was forced to shut in 1890.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...old-coffin-young-girl-San-Francisco-home.html

So kind of this foundation mentioned in the article that finds graves for unidentified children. Thank you for sharing this.

So kind of this foundation mentioned in the article that finds graves for unidentified children. Thank you for sharing this.

Yes. I think they have been mentioned several times on this site for the work they do.

Since the child's coffin has been opened and her body is now deteriorating, it really does make sense for tissue samples to be taken for DNA testing. If the coffin had remained unbreached, I'd have said that was something to be considered very carefully.

I'm not sure from the article whether there were originally 30,000 burials in the Odd Fellows' cemetery, or 180,000. Both figures are given (typical Daily Wail journalism).

However, I suspect this may be solveable by a search of the cemetery records if they still exist. I would imagine that lead and bronze coffin with glass (?) panels must have been very expensive, arguing that she came from a very wealthy family indeed. On the other hand, I believe the Odd Fellows was a members' mutual organisation, with members paying in a small sum each week to guarantee assistance during hard times, such as sickness, or help with burial fees, and that doesn't fit well with a very wealthy family if the cemetery was used wholly for the burials of society members.

Still, some good opportunities for sleuthing in this case.

I read about this earlier today and KNEW there would be a WS thread. What a haunting, heartbreaking mystery, this little one must have been loved so much :cry:

Oh, this is heartbreaking! Poor child.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/145216662-story

A coffin with a well-preserved three year old girl inside was found under a home in San Fransisco that is undergoing renovations. The house sits atop an area that was used as a cemetery 140 years ago. The city had removed all the coffins long ago, but apparently missed this tiny one.

The last photo on the following web page shows the cemetery where the little coffin was buried. The page also contains a short history on all the cemeteries that were in that specific area.

Last Photo: http://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Cemeteries_at_foot_of_Lone_Mountain

When I used to play softball, one of the parks we often played at was Rossi Playground. I knew that another park in that same general area that we played at had once been a cemetery but didn't realize until now that Rossi had also been. And, the house with the little coffin is right next to the park.

The photo above is looking north toward the Columbarium, (which is still there) the house would have been built along the right hand side. The house was built in 1937.

Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...x80858737ecf5478d:0x658870853af58cb5?hl=en-us

I love San Francisco. I was born there in the 50's, in a hospital that no longer exists. St Marys, near the old Fleishacker Zoo. My favorite thing is to walk around neighborhoods and look at the gorgeous old houses and small family businesses. What a gorgeous city.

I have at least two ancestors whose remains were removed from a city cemetery to Colma. On one, the reburial card for a child notes that there was just a skull, no mention of casket.

By Kevin Schultz
[h=5]Updated 2:22 pm, Saturday, June 4, 2016[/h]
Five men in black suits lifted a small, cherry-wood casket out of the back of a hearse Saturday morning on a fog-covered hill at Colma’s Greenlawn Memorial Park.
They carried the casket through a line of Knights of Columbus members dressed in full regalia and over to the young girl’s final resting place, which was covered in flowers and surrounded by nearly 100 onlookers.

The mood was somber, yet joyful. A Trumpeter’s Lullaby played quietly on surrounding speakers. A woman wept. A child next to her reached out and smiled.
The group of community members, Odd Fellows, cemetery workers and event organizers gathered for the 10 a.m. memorial service and reburial of the girl dubbed Miranda Eve, a three-year-old whose casket was found beneath the floor of a home in San Francisco Richmond District after being buried for about 145 years. more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Young-girl-laid-again-to-rest-145-years-after-7963636.php

I just found this, which I hope to explore at a later date, but it might have a listing for the little one:

California, Collections of the California Genealogical Society, 1700-1942

Description

Genealogical collections located at the California Genealogical Society in Oakland. The collections consist of cemetery records including index of Phillips-tombstone transcription, ca.1700-1900; IOOF Cemetery, 1866-1932; Griffin Allied Family index, ca. 1900; probate register of actions (San Francisco City and County), 1906-1942; Alta and other newspaper people index, 1860-1861.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1385527?collectionNameFilter=true

Picture of the casket
imageDisplay.jsp

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_29961738/who-was-little-girl-buried-under-san-francisco

"We've got a strong possible, but we're looking for a map," said Steven Sederwall, a retired cop who is now a private investigator. "We've got an infant that fits the description."

Before releasing the girl's name, Sederwall and his handful of assistants, including some in the Bay Area, hope to find a burial plot map for the Odd Fellows Cemetery, which operated between 1860 and 1890, and compare it to a current city map to see if the locations match. The problem: many death records and other vital documents from the 1800s were lost during the 1906 earthquake and fire.

The red tape is astounding.

Did San Mateo County require death certificates when the other 28,999 Odd Fellows folks were reburied in Colma?

Where was the Odd Fellows Temple in 1906? They are the ones that should have had the map.

Once, when I was tracing someone I thought might be a relative, who had been buried at Laurel Cemetery and removed to Colma, and all they had was a little old wooden file cabinet with some index cards, with minimal information, and not necessarily information on all the people.

Here is an old map showing the locations of the 4 main cemeteries located around Lone Mountain:

image.jpeg

And, the best description I have read so far about the whole cemetery situation in San Francisco:

“Surrounding Lone Mountain in Laurel Heights/Inner Richmond, the "Big Four" cemeteries were made up of Laurel Hill to the north, Odd Fellows' the the west, Masonic to the south and Calvary to the east, all four were built between 1854-1865. Following the Victorian sentiments of park-like cemeteries located far from the city, these cemeteries were built on luscious grounds with winding roads and beautiful paths. But by the early 1900s the lots were full and grounds left to disrepair.

In 1902 Inner Richmond property owners began their campaign to close the cemeteries completely to help boost property value, and after litigation, ballots, voting and more bureaucracy, the process of moving previously buried bodies from the Big Four cemeteries to Colma land began in 1929. The entire removal process took until after WWII, and tragically almost none of the elaborate Neoclassical monuments in the Big Four survived. Tombstones were discarded into the ocean or broken up and used in construction. You can actually spot pieces of gravestones in the park gutters of Buena Vista Park.”​

The map is from the David Rumsey collection, (that is a possible source for the plot map) and the description is from:

http://www.7x7.com/the-dark-history-of-san-franciscos-cemeteries-1786563925.html?slide=FefcGN

This is another David Rumsey map, easier to see and read.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...No_InitialSort,Pub_Date,Pub_List_No,Series_No

-or-

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...19:Plat-57--San-Francisco-?&printerFriendly=1

and click on the image. also, on ipad you can use hand gesture to make it bigger.

What I learned from this is that The Odd Fellows Cemetery was much much bigger than what I initially thought. On the Rumsey map the cemetery is bounded by Point Lobos Avenue (now Geary Blvd) on the north; Parker Avenue on the east; Turk Street on the south; and First Street (now Arguello) on the west.

At the time the map was drawn in 1876, 'A' Street, (now Anza) stopped at First Street or Arguello. It currently crosses Arguello and continues on eastward. Also, Rossi Avenue did not exist. It runs between Anza to the north and Turk to the south.

Just trying to hone in on where the grave was located. I think it would have been under the 'M' in cemetery, not quite halfway to Turk Street below.

Different cemetery in Colma than in the article, but look at all the vaults. So many remains to move.

New vaults in Colma’s Holy Cross Cemetery await human remains from Calvary c.1920
colma-holy-cross-cemetery-vaults.jpg

Interesting.
http://www.cultofweird.com/death/colma-california-cemeteries/

In 1900, San Francisco was crowded by the dead. According to Colma historian Pat Hatfield, miners during the gold rush flocked to the area, bringing with them disease. The death toll rose and the city’s 27 cemeteries were overflowing. An 1880 article called the dead “tyrants” for taking up the best building land in the city.

A ordinance was soon passed prohibiting the construction of any new cemeteries. The conditions of the existing cemeteries were still a problem, so those were evicted from the city limits in 1914. In defense of this legislation, Mayor Jim Rolph said “The duty of government is more to the living than to the dead.”

Story and list of volunteers who worked on finding out who the little girl was and made the burial possible. Impressive. Parents are buried in a mass grave.

http://www.gardenofinnocence.org/miranda-eve-childs-casket-found-under-home

She contacted a few mortuaries and cemeteries in Colma and the cost to bury this child that was not hers could be as high as $7000.00. *Arche-tec wanted $20,000 to remove the child.

As she continued to research, the child started deterioting as the casket was now open. *She sat in the yard for ten days waiting for someone to find help.

About the photo

We had a photo of Edith in her casket the day she was found and she had only slight mold on her jaw and lower lip and a few white spots on her forehead.

Elissa asked her cousin, Jennifer Onstrott Warner, who is a graphic artist and owner of Fairy Tale Portraits in Newport Beach,* to see if she could remove the mold on Ediths jaw and mouth, close the mouth and make her pretty again.

snip

Our big goal is to raise funds to make that section of Greenlawn Memorial Park a memorial place where you can go and pay tribute to those resting in that field that had no recognition that they were once here, including Ediths parents.* This is going to be a big undertaking and quite costly but we feel those 29,000 people deserve to be recognized and given the dignitiy they deserve.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back