Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeannaT

Former Member
Reaction score
This story makes me sick to my stomach. This child had to breech a LOT of barriers to get into this cage, and now the rare young male gorilla is killed.

I don't blame the zoo, what could they do when this child who was clearly unsupervised and insisted on breeching barriers went into the cage while the parents did nothing?

[video=cnn;us/2016/05/29/cincinnati-zoo-kills-gorilla-sot.wxix]http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/28/us/zoo-kills-gorilla/index.html[/video]

This story makes me sick to my stomach. This child had to breech a LOT of barriers to get into this cage, and now the rare young male gorilla is killed.

I don't blame the zoo, what could they do when this child who was clearly unsupervised and insisted on breeching barriers went into the cage while the parents did nothing?

[video=cnn;us/2016/05/29/cincinnati-zoo-kills-gorilla-sot.wxix]http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/28/us/zoo-kills-gorilla/index.html[/video]

I was just at this zoo last week, and I'm familiar with the enclosure, and I knew he didn't fall in. I'm upset about this too.

Thanks, Angiebla. I'm really upset. Maybe I should just stop it at that. I am not sure I agree that a very endangered and rare gorilla should be shot and killed because a completely unsupervised child wandered into his cage. The endangered and rare gorilla is held captive, for our personal pleasure, and this kid breeches all barriers and now the captive gorilla is shot for being in the same enclosure.

I REALLY hope the family feels the need to give back, in an enormous way, for the loss of this male gorilla, because they were nowhere to be found when their child breeched 3 barriers to get into the enclosure.

I'm frustrated too but apparently the gorilla was hurting the boy and a tranquilizer shot would've taken several minutes to take effect. I understand why they had to do it but it never should've happened to begin with :(

First responders "witnessed a gorilla who was violently dragging and throwing the child," Cincinnati Fire Department Chief Marc Monahan wrote in a statement.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nati-zoo-after-child-climbs-enclosure-n582211

Thanks, Angiebla. I'm really upset. Maybe I should just stop it at that. I am not sure I agree that a very endangered and rare gorilla should be shot and killed because a completely unsupervised child wandered into his cage. The endangered and rare gorilla is held captive, for our personal pleasure, and this kid breeches all barriers and now the captive gorilla is shot for being in the same enclosure.

I REALLY hope the family feels the need to give back, in an enormous way, for the loss of this male gorilla, because they were nowhere to be found when their child breeched 3 barriers to get into the enclosure.

I was just commenting to my wife that in today's society this/these parent(s) are probably lining up lawyers to sue the zoo or the gorilla handlers or the architects of the enclosure or all of the above. While those responsible for the child should be taking a good look in the mirror, they will blame the gorilla or anyone else that comes to mind, much the same as my nine year old and most of our society. Okay, my rant is over.

I was just commenting to my wife that in today's society this/these parent(s) are probably lining up lawyers to sue the zoo or the gorilla handlers or the architects of the enclosure or all of the above. While those responsible for the child should be taking a good look in the mirror, they will blame the gorilla or anyone else that comes to mind, much the same as my nine year old and most of our society. Okay, my rant is over. Those of us on WS are excluded from my comments.

I hope the zoo sues them for the death of an endangered animal.

Poor gorilla. Stupid parents.

Another animal dead because of people wanting "entertainment". :(

I hope the zoo sues them for the death of an endangered animal.

I'll cosign this. I think it's about time that the "parents" in these situations are held financially responsible.

Not only for the loss of the animals life, but for the trauma the staff went through for having to kill the Gorilla. I am sure it was very hard for them to do.

I blame the zoo. No way they should have an enclosure that a child could enter. Totally negligent.

Well, zoos suck. If this isn't proof I don’t know what is. The zoo failed to protect their guests, they failed to protect the animals. They are 100% incompetent.

[video=youtube;uBy1J1nAQxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBy1J1nAQxk[/video]

I agree. The child should have been supervised. I'd like to know how the child could have possibly found a way into an enclosure though. Perhaps we will get more information in time.

Many of the endangered animals that are in zoo's today are part of breeding programs geared towards saving the species. The destruction of their habitat in the wild coupled with poachers makes it very hard for many species to survive. Had our California Condors not been placed in captivity as part of a breeding program they may be gone today. MOO

Can someone point me to a report that gives more info about what happened? I will say that while there are many neglectful parents I once had an expericence with my nephew at the National Zoo (DC) where he almost got over a fence with the Flamingo's.

I blame the zoo. No way they should have an enclosure that a child could enter. Totally negligent.

Well, parents could let their kids to crawl on the road then I suppose roads should be completely enclosed? A young child could get into a lot of trouble if not properly supervised.

I don't know the full story or about the parents.....I made mistakes as a parent and I wouldn't want to be summarily judged for a mistake that would change my life. I just want to know more. I am not a zoo fan but they do save dying species.......IMO if it is a "rogue" child vs an Ape......really what choice, no matter how sad. I am gonna duck now.

I'm frustrated too but apparently the gorilla was hurting the boy and a tranquilizer shot would've taken several minutes to take effect. I understand why they had to do it but it never should've happened to begin with :(

First responders "witnessed a gorilla who was violently dragging and throwing the child," Cincinnati Fire Department Chief Marc Monahan wrote in a statement.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nati-zoo-after-child-climbs-enclosure-n582211

Sounds like gorilla was just agitated.

Sounds like gorilla was just agitated.
The Gorilla (sorry for using Ape earlier) was being a Gorilla......but a child was endangered, IF the parents or whoever the adult was is guilty of neglect that doesn't make the kid guilty!

I had just read this article in local paper before finding the discussion here. Reader comments are along the same lines as here. I fault the parents for not being more attentive to the safety of their child.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...l-child-falls-gorilla-enclosure-zoo/85103840/

Coincidentally, DH and I were recently reminiscing about frequent childhood visits to the Detroit Zoo and if there were animals that frightened us. I always feared the giant gorilla who was in a cage by himself in the Monkey House.

The Gorilla (sorry for using Ape earlier) was being a Gorilla......but a child was endangered, IF the parents or whoever the adult was is guilty of neglect that doesn't make the kid guilty!

What was the gorilla guilty off? He is the one who paid the price. And gorillas are endangered species (unlike humans). Since gorilla wasn't attacking the child, I don't understand why they couldn't try non-lethal ways to get him away from the child.

What was the gorilla guilty off? He is the one who paid the price. And gorillas are endangered species (unlike humans). Since gorilla wasn't attacking the child, I don't understand why they couldn't try non-lethal ways to get him away from the child.

I am not sure what you are asking? Should they have let the child die?

I kind of agree with you, but I only saw video of the first of the encounter, when the gorilla was actually behaving kind of protectively - and with curiosity - toward the child. Apparently later he began dragging the child through the water, and at that point the child is in imminent danger according to the animal behavior team. In a case like this, it could go badly in a mere moment - and as I understand it, the boy is hospitalized with "non life threatening injuries". So he is injured. If they had lots of time to plan this - like, shooting tear gas into the cage or going in with nets, I'm sure they would have done it.

Here's the link. Seeing it makes me madder - and sadder - at this loss. According to the witness, she overheard the woman who was supervising this boy and several others tell this child several times not to crawl through but he did it anyway.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/video-gorilla-grabs-child-whos-fallen-into-habitat/39774904

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie