TX - Disabled girl, 17, dies during mom's stay in mental facility, Oct 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The body of a 17-year-old girl was found Tuesday in a downtown Dallas condominium in what police were calling an unexplained death.

Dallas police Sgt. Gil Cerda said a representative from Child Protective Services in Lewisville had asked managers at the Oak Bluff Condos to check on the girl. Someone from the complex in the 4500 block of Live Oak Street contacted Dallas Fire-Rescue, which found her body, Cerda said.

Police officers were trying to locate the girl's mother or other family members and contact the Dallas Independent School District officials to learn if she had been a student. Cerda said it appeared the girl had some physical disabilities.

The mother “was a private person,” Allem said. “She worked 24 hours a day. She told me, ‘Andy, don’t ask me what I do. You see me – I work.’ She was very polite. If she wanted anything done inside the apartment she asked very nicely. She was sweet.”

Allem said he was worried about the woman because it would be uncharacteristic for her to leave her daughter unattended for a long time.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/101905dnmetgirl.107e83d14.html

I just hope her mother is OK. It seems she took care of her daughter well. There was no mention of authorities finding the mother to ask her questions Makes me think she met with foul play.

From the link the neighbor mentioned smelling something, so it appears the dau. had been dead for sometime.

Officials with Child Protective Services found the body of the 17-year-old girl in the 4500 block of Live Oak Street after reports of a foul odor emanating from one of the units.

Police said apartment managers had called CPS and asked for investigators to visit the apartment.

Officials said the child they found inside may have been dead for days.

"We'll try to make contact with the mother," Cerda said. "Our understanding is the mother and child reside there, possibly alone."

Neighbors said the teen was disabled and had needed a wheelchair for mobility.

Scott said that the girl's mother had been hospitalized and that relatives would occasionally check in on the girl.

Police were awaiting preliminary autopsy results.
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/5119390/detail.html

Oh no, that is so sad.

What a horrible story. Prayers for the hospitalized mother.

The mother has been in a mental facility for about two weeks. Apparently, she had a nervous breakdown on her job. No one knew the daughter existed apparently.

Jeana (DP) said:
The mother has been in a mental facility for about two weeks. Apparently, she had a nervous breakdown on her job. No one knew the daughter existed apparently.
Oh that's so sad. That poor girl was left to die alone. I wonder why their weren't people around to help this family. Why didn't the relatives check on the girl? I can kind of understand the mother not saying anything with her nervous breakdown I'm thinking working and caring for her daughter, and who knows what else what going on in her life maybe just got to be too much for her. Many unanswered questions for me why this child was left unattended.

SadieMae said:
Oh that's so sad. That poor girl was left to die alone. I wonder why their weren't people around to help this family. Why didn't the relatives check on the girl? I can kind of understand the mother not saying anything with her nervous breakdown I'm thinking working and caring for her daughter, and who knows what else what going on in her life maybe just got to be too much for her. Many unanswered questions for me why this child was left unattended.

I know. Its horrible. Most of the neighbors said they didn't even know she was there. The apartment manager said it wasn't his business. jerk.

I can't imagine a dedicated mother though, who wouldn't worry about her disabled dau being left alone at home. I cannot imagine that she wouldn't say something to staff. Could she have tried to tell them? Maybe they dismissed it thinking it was a delusion?

She was often seen wandering around in a heavy coat, be it on the sidewalk outside her worn-down apartment building on a humid summer day or inside a Wal-Mart in autumn.

The woman spooked neighbors and acquaintances when she mumbled to herself or cursed at them. Few knew she was the mother of a chronically ill teenage daughter who could not walk.

But Child Protective Services did.

CPS twice investigated whether the woman was getting her daughter proper medical attention during the last two years, an agency spokeswoman said. But workers, who were alerted that the woman could be mentally ill, reported that they could not substantiate the allegations and closed the cases.

On Wednesday, authorities were still trying to figure out how her 17-year-old bed-ridden daughter could have been left alone in the family's East Dallas apartment – possibly for as long as two weeks – after her mother had been arrested and taken to a mental hospital.

The girl's decomposing body was found in her bed Tuesday morning.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...s/stories/102005dnmetchilddeath.1808a227.html

www.bugmenot.com
if you don't want to register to read

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth