Prostitution in LA

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
This story is just so disturbing.... :bang:
~~~

A few hours after a homeless guy named Virgil died of an overdose in the portable toilet, the blue plastic outhouse at 6th and San Julian streets was back in business. Not as a toilet, but as a house of prostitution.

Five portable toilets stand at that corner in the darkened heart of skid row.

T.J. says she sometimes has a customer in each of them — a john in every john — and scurries from one to the next, taking care of business.

"I run this corner," says the stocky 52-year-old woman, whose initials stand for Thick and Juicy. "I'm the madam, and those are the cathouses."

T.J., who keeps her wardrobe in one of the outhouses and changes every few hours, is wearing a sheer red top, nothing underneath, and skin-tight black pants. She's bummed a Newport and has it to her lips, but can't find a light.

As she speaks, a rat skitters up from the sewer and through a grate, past a discarded brassiere, a smooshed apple and an empty bag of Fritos. Rats run into, under and around the portable toilets with a brazen sense of entitlement, as comfortable as house pets.

Sights like this are common on L.A.'s skid row, a rock-bottom depository and national embarrassment. A place where disease, abuse, crime and hard-luck misery are on public display and have been for years, conveniently out of sight and mind for most Angelenos. No matter how many times I go in, I come out shocked all over again.

A couple walk past the 6th and Julian toilets now, pulling shirts up over their noses to block the stench. At times, the toilets are actually used for their intended purpose, and the unspeakable odor that envelops the corner is toxic enough to buckle your legs.

More if you are interested

I have been to LA many times and have never seen this area.
It sounds pretty gross.

Perosnally, I feel that we should legalize prostitution
and keep it safe and have them pay taxes.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but since it's going to happen
anyway, why not make it safer?

Tristan said:
It sounds pretty gross.

I agree with you. After all it's been called the oldest profession in the world. Why not legalize it? Heck, might be the answer to the deficit problem! Imagine that.:waitasec:

I agree..

I don't understand why in this day and age if two consenting adults wish to persue these venues for money who it hurts??

Regulated ... their are tests for STD's further protecting society.

The illegal crack *advertiser censored* will not be participating making society have to recognize that problem and address it.

I know that womens rights groups often fight this but IMO they are not helping.
These women are then left to deal with pimps and porta potties and all the while fearing the cops will bust them, if not a serial killer will get them.
I always wondered who Heidi Fleiss and the Mayfair Madame were hurting??
They sold a product and obviously people bought it.

DO tax dollars really need to fight this??
The only arguement is a moral one and IMO its up to the adults involved if their morals dictate it or not..

I think the only reason prositution is not legalized is because it can't be regulated like tobacco or alchohol. The government can trace where those come from because it involves some degree of processing and they have big money lobbyists. Anybody can be a prostitute, and keep a full time legitamite job (for tax purposes, hehe). I'm sooo sure those that are doing it are going to get registered and pay TAXES for their "work". It's a business operation until they get busted. I don't see how it can be regulated anyway. It's all about supply and demand, men and women. It surely won't make a difference in the divorce rate, the war on crime, the war on drugs, or the war in Iraq if it's legalized. And I really don't think it contributes to the AIDS crisis. Prostitutes pretty much are advocates of safe sex from what I know. I don't know any welders that don't wear protection, or any other trade that doesn't have safety gear relative to their profession.:)

Tristan said:
It sounds pretty gross.

I agree with you 100%

SadieMae said:
I think the only reason prositution is not legalized is because it can't be regulated like tobacco or alchohol. The government can trace where those come from because it involves some degree of processing and they have big money lobbyists. Anybody can be a prostitute, and keep a full time legitamite job (for tax purposes, hehe). I'm sooo sure those that are doing it are going to get registered and pay TAXES for their "work". It's a business operation until they get busted. I don't see how it can be regulated anyway. It's all about supply and demand, men and women. It surely won't make a difference in the divorce rate, the war on crime, the war on drugs, or the war in Iraq if it's legalized. And I really don't think it contributes to the AIDS crisis. Prostitutes pretty much are advocates of safe sex from what I know. I don't know any welders that don't wear protection, or any other trade that doesn't have safety gear relative to their profession.:)

They found a way to regulate it in Nevada. Sure, there are going to be the prostitutes who, for whatever reason, stay out of the "mainstream." However, I would think that if it were legal, people paying for sex would much rather visit a prostitute who they knew had a regular check up and didn't have any STDs.

I can just imagine the look on George Bush's face, you know the god fearing, bible thumping, ultra right wing George Bush who wants to mandate the "moral fiber" of the USA if one of the people in his Government came to him and said:

Let's legalize prostution.....so we can get more taxes to pay for War, natural diasters etc.

I can just imagine............

CyberLaw said:
I can just imagine the look on George Bush's face, you know the god fearing, bible thumping, ultra right wing George Bush who wants to mandate the "moral fiber" of the USA if one of the people in his Government came to him and said:

Let's legalize prostution.....so we can get more taxes to pay for War, natural diasters etc.

LOL...I would want to be there to see his face for that.

Jeana (DP) said:
They found a way to regulate it in Nevada. Sure, there are going to be the prostitutes who, for whatever reason, stay out of the "mainstream." However, I would think that if it were legal, people paying for sex would much rather visit a prostitute who they knew had a regular check up and didn't have any STDs.
They sure did Jeana. I knew it wasn't legal everywhere in Nevada, but I thought this was interesting reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada#The_legal_brothels

Nevada is unique among the U.S. states in that it allows some legal prostitution: in most of its counties, brothels are legalized and heavily regulated.

SNIP:
Under Nevada law, any county with a population of less than 400,000 is allowed to license brothels if it so chooses (NRS 244.345). As of January 2005, Clark County (which contains Las Vegas) is the only county in Nevada with a population of over 400,000, but Washoe County will soon reach that point as well [1]. Incorporated towns and cities in counties that allow prostitution may regulate the trade further or prohibit it altogether.

As of July 2004, brothels are illegal in Carson City, Douglas County, Lincoln County, and Washoe County. Eureka County neither permits nor prohibits brothels and does not have any. The other 11 counties permit licensed brothels in certain specified areas or cities.

SNIPPED TO SHORTEN POST:
Casshew said:
This story is just so disturbing.... :bang:
From your thread title I at first thought you were speaking of Louisana (LA) until I read your post............:laugh:

Tristan said:
It sounds pretty gross.

I'm not so sure you are in the minority..it is, after all, the oldest profession. I despise seeing or hearing of this gutter crap, be it from Jimmy Swagard(preacher delux)who got caught with a $20.00 hooker.. or Hugh Grant(english actor married to Miss too beautiful Liz Hurley)who was found getting a quickie from "marvin hagler with a wig" in LA..I agree...keep it safe and pay taxes!!!!To each his own...mpi

CyberLaw said:

????
How did this thread wind up in the Political Pavilion?:innocent: That's weird! :blushing:

When I went to LA, I decided to be adventurous....and I probably do not want to know how stupid I was. I decided to take the Subway / train from Hollywood to Long Beach for the day instead of drive. I like to see the regular life.... well...#1) on the way there and back I was the only WHITE PERSON.... and NO ONE would sit with me. :waitasec: Don't get it.....

But #2, my point is that the homes, streets and communities I saw along the way was not unlike a third world country. THIS IS NOT THE "LA/HOLLYWOOD" they portray on TV...........

I wish I could have taken pictures but I felt it would be tremendously offensive to those who lived there. I wanted to show others how horrible some americans truly live. I mean, 15' high chainlink fences around playgrounds WITH CIRCLE BARBED WIRE atop of the fence like a prison, garbage stacked up to 4 feet high in some places, windows boarded up with plywood and kids STILL lived there...........

This is the US......... and so many politicians turn their backs on this as if it doesn't exist. Those type of communities are beyond being "poor", they're not in any condition for humans to live in at all IMO.

:(

There are a lot of sad parts in Los Angeles... ugly parts... but there are also some really nice places as well.. LA is a big city...Cross the border over to Tijuana, Mexico, and you will see some really sad sights as well... I truly don't understand how we can close our eyes to these slum areas... We pay taxes, a lot of taxes, we buy the lottery tickets that are supose to help with the schools and yet our schools are not any better... Where is this money going? :waitasec:

You can throw all the money in the world at a problem, but unless the people on the front lines are willing to pull their own weight, it won't help, IMO.

:laugh: :laugh:
Magnum PI said:
I'm not so sure you are in the minority..it is, after all, the oldest profession. I despise seeing or hearing of this gutter crap, be it from Jimmy Swagard(preacher delux)who got caught with a $20.00 hooker.. or Hugh Grant(english actor married to Miss too beautiful Liz Hurley)who was found getting a quickie from "marvin hagler with a wig" in LA..I agree...keep it safe and pay taxes!!!!To each his own...mpi
Hagler in a wig...too funny!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back