GUILTY Mi - Five Cyclists Killed, 4 Injured In Kalamazoo Co., 7 June 2016

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo..._injured_in_hit-and-ru.html#incart_river_home

Police were also checking to see if the truck, described as a pickup truck, was the same vehicle that crashed into the median of a road not far away, less than 5 minutes after the collision.

Rescue personnel were also checking to see if the pickup truck they had identified was a vehicle they was looking for after an earlier drunken driving report.

From looking at the photos included with the news articles it does appear to have occurred on the main road, not within the park. I think I've found the "Do Not Pass" sign shown in the photos and it's on the main road (Wendredge) just a little bit north of the park near the curved driveway leading to a house.

Good god.
DUI ,or maybe another "Adacia Chambers" ?
Thinking about these families tonight !

Horrific! Kalamazoo community is still reeling from the Uber-driver shooter. Thoughts and prayers for the families/friends of the victims :rose:

woodtv.com:

5 bicyclists dead after crash north of Kalamazoo

more, with video, pics, at link

More from wfgodot's link:

[...]
In the about 30 minutes before the crash, calls came in to the City of Kalamazoo police (at 6:08 p.m.), the sheriff’s department (6:13 p.m.) and Kalamazoo Township police (6:21 p.m.) with concerns about the way a man was driving a blue pickup truck, Getting said. Officers were looking for that vehicle, but had not yet spotted it and were not pursuing it at the time of the crash.
The first 911 call about the crash came in at 6:36 p.m.
[...]
MSP is handling the crash reconstruction. My heart goes out to all affected.

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an avid cyclist and this story scares me so much. I feel terrible for all those innocent cyclists who were injured and wish for a quick recovery for them. RIP to those who went out for a bike ride and were killed through no fault of their own. This is so wrong. So thankful the driver has been apprehended.

I immediately thought of the Uber driver case (not putting his name here) - - Kalamazoo is not super populated. I can't help but wonder if we will hear about connections folks may have had to both of these tragedies. I got the impression from MSM reporting last night that this was deliberate.

Dang, these people just went out for a bike ride and ended up dead. How wrong in every way. Every time I climb on my bike I say a silent prayer because so many drivers absolutely hate to share the road with bikers and drive so close and try to intimidate us. I have no idea what this guy's problem was or if he was drunk or on drugs. Absolutely senseless and so many lives have been lost/affected.

Kalamazoo bicycle crash victims identified

Francis X. Donnelly, The Detroit News 10:09 a.m. EDT June 9, 2016

...The four injured victims were Jennifer Johnson, 40, of Kalamazoo, who was in fair condition, while Paul Gobble, 47, of Richland; Sheila Jeske, 53, of Richland; and Paul Runnels, 65, of Richland were in serious condition at local hospitals, said authorities.

Among the people killed were a former nurse, a research manager and two retirees who belonged to the Kalamazoo Catholic Diocese.

They were identified as Melissa Fevig-Hughes, 42, of Augusta; Debra Bradley, 53, of Augusta, a former nurse with Gull Lake Community Schools; Suzanne Sippel, 56, of Augusta, a science data manager at the W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, a Michigan State University facility in Hickory Corners; and retirees Fred Nelson, 73, of Kalamazoo and Lorenz Paulik, 74, of Kalamazoo, members of St. Thomas More Catholic Parish, according to authorities...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/06/08/kalamazoo-struck-tragedy/85611334/

WPEC CBS12 News ‏@CBS12 2m2 minutes ago Florida, USA
#BREAKING Michigan prosecutor charges driver with 5 counts of 2nd degree murder in crash with bicyclists. @AP

Something similar happened in our area a few months ago. The driver was suspected of DUI, but local police didn't test him. He got off with probation. The mayor where it occurred hates bicyclists on the roads, he showed no sympathy to the victims or families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back