Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Tough sentence expected for Oscar Pistorius

Reeva_Steenkamp.JPG

link

Reeva Steenkamp :rose:
19 August 1983 – 14 February 2013

JOHANNESBURG - Prosecutors are expected to push for a heavy sentence for former world athletics star Oscar Pistorius, when he appears in court on Monday.

The National Prosecuting Authority has said it wants him to spend a minimum of 15 years in jail, for shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp through a bathroom door at his Pretoria home in February 2013.

* eNCA.com will live stream and live blog court proceedings from Monday.

https://twitter.com/barrybateman?lang=en

https://twitter.com/karynmaughan?lang=en

https://twitter.com/JacaNews/media

https://twitter.com/ermbates?lang=en

https://twitter.com/ewnreporter

Thread is open for posting.

Please post responsibly and be respectful of your fellow posters.

If you find a post offensive please alert using the red and black triangle on the bottom left of your post and a moderator will respond accordingly.

If anyone is found disrupting the thread it may result in the loss of posting privileges. No questions asked.

Please post live links of the hearing so members can follow along.

Thank you

Rules Etiquette & Information

Great to be back. What time does the sentencing hearing start please - either SA or UK time?

Oscar is supposedly facing a minimum of 15 years with I guess credit for some served as he has already done 1 year inside and some on house arrest.

But I wonder if Massipa have to give him 15 years in prison. Or can she do home imprisonment?

I only ask because she seems to want the ultimate leniency for Oscar. But I want to know if her hands are tied per S.A sentencing law?

THANKS in advance.

Btw. Can someone tell Oscar and his lawyers that the thread is back open. I'm sure he is a long time lurker here. Jmo

Hello all - it's been a long time eh. Even the fonts look different!

From reading just now on DS it would seem that she cannot give the home imprisonment option as that only applies to sentences of 5 years or less. I read elsewhere that the State will be going for the full 15 year minimum and will appeal if it is less than 8 years. OP and his team will need to provide mitigating circumstances as to why the 15 year minimum should not be imposed.

Interesting aside that Carl P has gone off on holiday to India and Aimee P has moved to London so neither will be there to support him.

PS This was meant to be a reply to Dexter but came out a a new post. Everything's changed!

Another thing. I remember a poster saying before that any sentence over 5 years. The person has to serve 75% of the time before being eligible for parole.

But any sentence 5 years or under. Then a person is eligible for parole after serving 1 year.

So is this true in regards to S.A law?

Because the poster stated that this was why Massipa only gave him 5 years because she knew he would only do 1 year in jail.

So i just want to know what is the minimum needed to be up for parole on a 15 year sentence?

Oscar is supposedly facing a minimum of 15 years with I guess credit for some served as he has already done 1 year inside and some on house arrest.

But I wonder if Massipa have to give him 15 years in prison. Or can she do home imprisonment?

I only ask because she seems to want the ultimate leniency for Oscar. But I want to know if her hands are tied per S.A sentencing law?

THANKS in advance.

Btw. Can someone tell Oscar and his lawyers that the thread is back open. I'm sure he is a long time lurker here. Jmo

Under South African sentencing rules, murder has a minimum sentence of 15 years. This can be reduced if compelling and extenuating circumstances are shown but Andrea Johnson of the NPA has gone on record as saying they will appeal anything less than 8 years.

Eligibility for parole comes after half the sentence is served less "credits" built up in prison. He's already served 12 months, plus, no doubt Roux will argue his time at Uncle Arnold's should be counted as time served.

In reality he could serve real jail time of anything from 2.5 to 7 years with parole and credits. Shockingly short for what he did and his lack of any genuine remorse.

Having the forum open feels like finding an old comfy pair of slippers again. I hope that throughout the week as emotions are tested and torn we can rediscover the same fraternal spirit we enjoyed over the past few years and we all all finally find the healing and closure that we've been collectively crying out for. Justice for Reeva!

Under South African sentencing rules, murder has a minimum sentence of 15 years. This can be reduced if compelling and extenuating circumstances are shown but Andrea Johnson of the NPA has gone on record as saying they will appeal anything less than 8 years.

Eligibility for parole comes after half the sentence is served less "credits" built up in prison. He's already served 12 months, plus, no doubt Roux will argue his time at Uncle Arnold's should be counted as time served.

In reality he could serve real jail time of anything from 2.5 to 7 years with parole and credits. Shockingly short for what he did and his lack of any genuine remorse.

Okay. Thanks for a better understanding. Please void my other related question. Thanks.

I know, indeed! The calm before the storm!

It will be turbulent for sure, but when all's said and done it's because peoples passions (suffering) are at boiling point and we all need to see justice done and have see closure. That said, I just hope we can do all that within the parameters set by the Mods and we don't lose the forum when we are so close to the finish line. It would be a cruel irony if we got sentenced before the mewling murderer! :tantrum:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-13/oscar-pistorius-to-be-sentenced-for-murder/7499540

Oscar Pistorius to be sentenced for murder, facing 15 years in jail for killing Reeva Steenkamp
By Africa correspondent Martin Cuddihy

The events of Valentine's Day 2013 are about to finally catch up with South Africa's one-time golden boy Oscar Pistorius.
The same judge from the original trial is back, Judge Thokozile Masipa.
Also back is Pistorius's barrister, Barry Roux...

Pistorius has lost his girlfriend, income, prestige, and he's about to lose his freedom...

BUT the frustrating element to this week is that there may not be a sentence delivered by Friday. If the hearing runs late into the week, then the judge might adjourn proceedings for a few days. She could tell everyone to come back in a week, or two, or even in a month, to finally find out what punishment fits the crime. :noooo:

Hi everyone.

I am sincerely hoping that Masipa does what she's meant to..... base her sentence on the findings of the SCA and not her own personal opinions.

They found that he was NOT in genuine fear of his life, had NO justification for shooting, that his disability played NO part and that he was NOT suffering from any condition which would have prevented him from knowing right from wrong.

Taking all of this into account what possible extenuating circumstances could there be to reduce the minimum 15 years?

I am a bit worried about Barry Steenkamp giving evidence. I understand that he probably desperately wants to (I would) but Masipa didn't seem to give a damn about hearing what a loss Reeva was to her family before amd it seems disrespectful to have him up there talking into the breeze, as it were.

Glad to hear that the State are ready to appeal the sentence if they need to. I hope they don't.

I am going to stick my neck out - more in hope than expectation - that he will get 15 years, minus time served. That's what he deserves.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-13/oscar-pistorius-to-be-sentenced-for-murder/7499540

Oscar Pistorius to be sentenced for murder, facing 15 years in jail for killing Reeva Steenkamp
By Africa correspondent Martin Cuddihy

The events of Valentine's Day 2013 are about to finally catch up with South Africa's one-time golden boy Oscar Pistorius.
The same judge from the original trial is back, Judge Thokozile Masipa.
Also back is Pistorius's barrister, Barry Roux...

Pistorius has lost his girlfriend, income, prestige, and he's about to lose his freedom...

BUT the frustrating element to this week is that there may not be a sentence delivered by Friday. If the hearing runs late into the week, then the judge might adjourn proceedings for a few days. She could tell everyone to come back in a week, or two, or even in a month, to finally find out what punishment fits the crime. :noooo:

It's quite possible! Thursday is a bank holiday in South Africa and although the lawyers have indicated they will work it if necessary, we don't know how Masipa will feel or indeed the cleaning and other ancillary court staff. If the way this has dragged on previously is anything to go by it'll be October before we get to see him hand over his Rolex for a second time.

One thing I am confident of....Pistorius won't take the stand again. No way will Roux risk putting him in front of Nel again. Absolutely no way.

Glad to hear that the State are ready to appeal the sentence if they need to. I hope they don't.

I am going to stick my neck out - more in hope than expectation - that he will get 15 years, minus time served. That's what he deserves.

I suspect both parties will have been having cosy little chats in chambers and resolved to ensure this is put to bed speedily. I concur that she'll give him close to the 15 years but I think she'll reduce it by saying that the time he has served on correctional supervision and whilst on bail since the SCA appeal counts towards the sentence.

I suspect both parties will have been having cosy little chats in chambers and resolved to ensure this is put to bed speedily. I concur that she'll give him close to the 15 years but I think she'll reduce it by saying that the time he has served on correctional supervision and whilst on bail since the SCA appeal counts towards the sentence.

Pretty sure she can only include time spent under sentence. Bail - even with conditions - is not classed as a sentence.

So, minus the one year in prison, plus the time on house arrest doing community service right up until the SCA set aside the conviction and sentence.

Not that I know for sure...just makes sense to me.

Not that I know for sure...just makes sense to me.

I pray to God you're right! I agree about it making sense but I know Roux will try his whining and pleading, petitioning Masipa and using his sophistry to bamboozle her. It worked a treat last time, so why wouldn't he.

He even resorted to it at the closing moments of the SCA hearing but unlike the out of her depth Masipa, Leach and his fellow Judges were too wise to succumb to such BS. OP hasn't been doing the community service based stuff and therapy for the good of his spiritual wellbeing. It's so Roux can plead with Masipa to bring it closer to the 8 years the NPA have put down as a marker.

Just watch tomorrow...

I pray to God you're right! I agree about it making sense but I know Roux will try his whining and pleading, petitioning Masipa and using his sophistry to bamboozle her. It worked a treat last time, so why wouldn't he.

He even resorted to it at the closing moments of the SCA hearing but unlike the out of her depth Masipa, Leach and his fellow Judges were too wise to succumb to such BS.

Just watch tomorrow...

Yeah...agreed. And I also think that Masipa's natural inclination is leniency towards Pistorius.

BUT - notably - the SCA basically shot down every one of the justifications she invented for him before so it's really hard to see what she will accept as mitigation without flagrantly going against their findings.

Will certainly be an interesting week, that's for sure.

I just hate hearing the minimum is 15. But the state will appeal anything below 8 years.

This scares me because obviously the minimum isn't 15.

I guess minimum and mandatory minimum are 2 different things. And now Massipa has been dragged through the mud.

And she will not take people questioning her integrity lightly. So she will probably find a way to maneuver the law in Oscars favor once again. Jmo.

She is playing chess while we are thinking this is checkers. Jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh