GUILTY PA - Robert Winston for abuse of baby corpses, McKeesport, 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
As soon as they set foot in the McKeesport garage of a former funeral director, investigators knew they were dealing with death. The odor was awful. And the stacked boxes from which the smell was emanating were clearly labeled as fetal remains.

But it wasn't until the Allegheny County coroner's office opened the boxes that they learned some of the remains were not fetuses. They were actually babies -- 19 in all -- who had been born and had lived for a short time. Their tiny diapers and caps gave it away.

Yesterday, following a months-long process of poring over medical records and matching remains with cases at Magee-Womens Hospital, Allegheny County Police charged Robert B. Winston Jr. with theft by deception and 19 counts of abuse of a corpse.

Police alleged that Mr. Winston, the onetime owner of Newman-Winston Memorial Chapel, violated a contract with the Oakland hospital to pick up fetal remains and treat them in a "respectful and dignified manner" by having them cremated.

Instead, police said, Mr. Winston stacked boxes of remains in his garage from 1999 through early 2002. In doing so, Mr. Winston earned roughly $9,000 from Magee.

Full Story

What a nightmare!

I do find it interesting that the stillbirths and miscarriages are not being charged, only the live births, due to the law being unclear. Even in a case of fraud like this one these babies just don't count to some people. :(

Perhaps I didn't read this right...I have a bad cold and I'm rather "out of it",
but did this sicko rape and or masturbate to dead babies??

Please clarify this, because it that is true, it is the absolute "hands down"
sickest things I've ever heard.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/oct/05102006.html

Charges were laid only for those infants who were born alive but died shortly thereafter. Robert B. Winston Jr., 61, had a contract with Magee-Womens Hospital to cremate the remains at a rate of $1 per pound. The man’s lawyer said he failed to cremate the bodies, which were found in his garage, because he could not afford to.

Tristan said:
Perhaps I didn't read this right...I have a bad cold and I'm rather "out of it",

I've read all the articles I can find on this, and not once is anything like that mentioned.

Tristan said:

:eek: Just out of curiosity where in the world did you get that? Not trying to be mean but whhhaaa??

It was probably the "19 counts of abuse against a corpse" That, too, made me think that something perverted was going on until I read the full story.

LButler said:
It was probably the "19 counts of abuse against a corpse" That, too, made me think that something perverted was going on until I read the full story.
ya know when you put it that way I get it I am so slow today;)

I would like to know what the outcome is after he goes to trial. I hope he is afforded a full sentence. I think he should be charged with murder-this is just my opinion all. I find it horrifying to think the infants were alive in boxes and stored in the garage. This is just to pitiful to comprehend at any level. Also, I agree that he should have been charged for all counts.
This reminds me of the case in GA where the cemetery director, (or whatever he is called) did not bury the said bodies of over a hundred people, yet I find this to be worse.
What offends me more is the attorney seems to give credence to this mans background as if he anyone cares that he was or is an outstanding citizen.

Quote: He has led an exemplary life until this particular time," Mr. Ecker told reporters after the arraignment, as Mr. Winston stood by his side with a stoic expression. Mr. Ecker added that he hoped his client would be granted a second chance." Quote

PLEASE!

Gozgals

The infants were already dead by the time he picked them up.

He was contracted with the hospital to cremate all the remains of stillbirths, infant autopsys, abortions, and infants who only lived a very short time.

Pook said:
The infants were already dead by the time he picked them up.

He was contracted with the hospital to cremate all the remains of stillbirths, infant autopsys, abortions, and infants who only lived a very short time.
I guess I'm alittle slow today too Pook when reading:rolleyes: - I kind of got confused by this part----

"But it wasn't until the Allegheny County coroner's office opened the boxes that they learned some of the remains were not fetuses. They were actually babies -- 19 in all -- who had been born and had lived for a short time"

Still , so utterly horrid.

To add to the horror of this story - phrases like he was paid by the pound just turn my stomach :sick:

To LButler...thank you, that is exactly what made me think that.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I was quite "out of it" with a head cold when I read the article.
:)

angelmom said:
What a nightmare!

I do find it interesting that the stillbirths and miscarriages are not being charged, only the live births, due to the law being unclear. Even in a case of fraud like this one these babies just don't count to some people. :(
--------------------------
Makes one wonder how some people can sleep at night! Our daughter was stillborn.We had a name for her~Christine was given a Christian burial for she is ours and we love her still.The hospital in Pa. is a reputable hospital. My cousin's Doctor is there,Sue had a hysterectomy there.The funeral director must have ice in his veins!!!

Nore said:
Makes one wonder how some people can sleep at night! Our daughter was stillborn.We had a name for her~Christine was given a Christian burial for she is ours and we love her still.The hospital in Pa. is a reputable hospital. My cousin's Doctor is there,Sue had a hysterectomy there.The funeral director must have ice in his veins!!!

(((Nore))) So sorry that you lost your precious girl. The three children we miscarried all were named as well, and are remembered lovingly as a part of our family. The hospital where the pathology was done has a similar program as this one, where a funeral home does a group cremation and even has a special plot in a local cemetery where the ashes are interred. I think that's why this story made me so sick. I met the man who started the program here, and he did it out of concern for the respectful handling of those babies' remains. This guy is his polar opposite! :(

angelmom said:
What a nightmare!

That makes me sad. They should count. :twocents:

Nore said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. My twin boys were stillborn many years ago and to some they don't count. They will always count to me and I hope to be reunited with them one day.

angelmom said:
(((Nore))) So sorry that you lost your precious girl. The three children we miscarried all were named as well, and are remembered lovingly as a part of our family. The hospital where the pathology was done has a similar program as this one, where a funeral home does a group cremation and even has a special plot in a local cemetery where the ashes are interred. I think that's why this story made me so sick. I met the man who started the program here, and he did it out of concern for the respectful handling of those babies' remains. This guy is his polar opposite! :(

angelmom, I'm sorry you've gone through this, too.

SewingDeb said:
angelmom, I'm sorry you've gone through this, too.

Thanks. I find it amazing to hear how many families have suffered these types of losses when I consider how utterly alone I felt at the time.

Tristan said:

Failing to treat a dead body with proper respect (such as stacking them in shoe boxes like leftover sneakers) qualifies as "abuse of a corpse'.
Although I wonder what the hell he gave the parents in lieu of remains. Or if he did at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back