Jay Pringle, 17, Missing 19 April 1977 Medford, OR

Home was Medford, OR.
dob: 2 July 1959
Hair: brown
Eyes: brown
Sex: male
Height: 5 ft. 10 in.
Weight: 150 pounds

Jay traveled to California and went missing in that state. A traveling companion was considered as a possible suspect in his disappearance, but no charges were brought. Case remains unsolved. More information at NCMEC website.

Bumping.

There are a few inconsistencies in the circumstances around him going missing.

- Namus says he is missing from Medford, Oregon, travelled to CA with a friend and was last seen in Las Vegas (by whom?) and he and his friend split up there, after an argument.
- Charley's says: Jay resided in Medford, Oregon and in April 1977 he traveled to CA. Some friends saw him in Los Angeles. According to one 23 yrs old friend, Robert Harry Kellogg, he and Jay then traveled to Gardena, CA. Kellogg said he last saw Jay on April 19. They got into an argument and split up. Jay left with an unknown individual. Nowhere in this story says they travelled together to Nevada. The story goes on like this; Kellogg traveled from Nevada to Medford after apparently spending all of Jay's money. He was the only witness who saw Jay in Gardena.

It's just a reflection of what happened a long time ago... The question is off course do we believe Kellogg's story? Did he saw Jay for the last time in Gardena or was Jay already missing in LA/did something happened in LA?. The only witness of Jay being in Gardena was Kellogg. Did they or didn't they travel together to Las Vegas or did something happened to Jay in Gardena and Kellogg took his money traveling alone to Las Vegas to spend it all. Would have Jay willingly gave all his money to Kellogg? Jay was 17....Kellogg 23....where was Jay's money coming from anyway?

I don't trust Kellogg's story. He was the only one who stated he saw Jay in Gardena, CA and/or Las Vegas, Nevada. Back home, while LE was investigating he left the state of Oregon, suspicious the least. Actually the whole trip to Gardena sounds illogical to me if your goal is Las Vegas and you are in LA (or is this just me?)

Searching in Namus on white male, ethnicity other (like in Jay's file, I wonder what kind....could he be mixed Native American?) came up with three persons 2 of them don't fit in the timeline etc. I have my doubts about the next file

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/12433 a skull found in Imperial County, CA. A bit confusing is the fact that they say the skull is at least 30 years old but at the same time they say in the demographic section probable year of dead 2007 - up and post-mortem interval 7 years. They probably mean that the person who died was at least 30 yrs old. In that case it's not Jay, because it's found in 2010.

What about this UID https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/4438 ? What if Jay never made it to Las Vegas? Not much to go on.... probable year of death 1977, between 18 and 29, height 5.75/69, weight 141 pounds...Jay: 70/5'10, 150 pounds, would have been almost 18, or was already 18 (DOB July 2, 1959) depending on what day this person died. If I look at Jay's picture his hair could be black or at least dark brown. No clothing found with the body.

Thanks for keeping this case going, Bit of Hope.

I just found this “article” about Jay. It’s the kind you have to click from page to page. It notes that Kellogg died in 2011.

http://www.lifedaily.com/story/17-y...ip-37-years-later-police-uncover-new-facts/5/
In the end, we may never know what happened to Jay Pringle, the music-loving teenager who just wanted to spend his last year of highschool on the open road. It’s been 40 years since he was last seen and his remaining family members still grieve for him. But officials will keep looking, until the case is finally solved.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20-jay-pringle-disappearance.jpg
    20-jay-pringle-disappearance.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 121
Thanks, it's a disturbing story isn't it?

Yes, it is disturbing. It’s local to me, although it happened before we moved here, so I’ve been aware of it, along with other cold cases here in Jackson County. I never thought to start a thread since it’s such an old case, but I’m glad Richard did. These cases deserve attention, even if there is no realistic hope of solving them. So thanks again. :heartbeat:

Yes, it is disturbing. It’s local to me, although it happened before we moved here, so I’ve been aware of it, along with other cold cases here in Jackson County. I never thought to start a thread since it’s such an old case, but I’m glad Richard did. These cases deserve attention, even if there is no realistic hope of solving them. So thanks again. :heartbeat:

That is sweet of you. Do you think he could be mixed white/native American. The name Pringle is from the surname Hoppringill, or Pringle, dates from the reign of Alexander III of Scotland (1249–86) and is one of the oldest names of the Scottish Border region. In Oregon a lot of Indian Land..but it's hard for me (being from Europe) to understand how the history went exactly in this region and especially the city he came from (Google brings me everywhere.....but not the local details)

That is sweet of you. Do you think he could be mixed white/native American. The name Pringle is from the surname Hoppringill, or Pringle, dates from the reign of Alexander III of Scotland (1249–86) and is one of the oldest names of the Scottish Border region. In Oregon a lot of Indian Land..but it's hard for me (being from Europe) to understand how the history went exactly in this region and especially the city he came from (Google brings me everywhere.....but not the local details)

It’s certainly possible that Jay had Native American ancestry. While there are individual Native Americans living in Medford and surrounding areas in Jackson County, there is no reservation in the area, and those living here are not necessarily native to the area. Many have intermarried and have European last names. There are occasional gatherings (Pow wows) but I can’t find any local cultural organization. I thought there used to be one.

There are probably about 20 Pringles still living in the area.

Historically, the local area (Rogue Valley) was once inhabited by various Indian tribes. Read this history and weep.

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/rogue_river_war_of_1855-1856/

Here is a recent local story with some interesting details:

Jay met Kellogg at a local bus station where Jay worked bussing tables.

His mother successfully sued Kellogg for restitution of the money. She had given it to Kellogg originally because she thought he would take better care of it on the trip.

Jay disappeared from the motel room in L.A. (presumably Gardena) after a falling out with Kellogg.

Kellogg didn’t show up for two polygraphs and eventually moved to Washington state and died in 2011.

Pringle’s mother moved around the country and re-married a couple of times. She returned eventually to Oregon and died in 2006.

In the video, the detective said he interviewed Kellogg for about five hours and couldn’t tell for sure whether he did or didn’t do something to Jay.

Video at link.
http://www.kdrv.com/content/news/452811563.html

It’s certainly possible that Jay had Native American ancestry. While there are individual Native Americans living in Medford and surrounding areas in Jackson County, there is no reservation in the area, and those living here are not necessarily native to the area. Many have intermarried and have European last names. There are occasional gatherings (Pow wows) but I can’t find any local cultural organization. I thought there used to be one.

There are probably about 20 Pringles still living in the area.

Historically, the local area (Rogue Valley) was once inhabited by various Indian tribes. Read this history and weep.

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/rogue_river_war_of_1855-1856/

Yes, I weep....

Here is a recent local story with some interesting details:

Jay met Kellogg at a local bus station where Jay worked bussing tables.

His mother successfully sued Kellogg for restitution of the money. She had given it to Kellogg originally because she thought he would take better care of it on the trip.

Jay disappeared from the motel room in L.A. (presumably Gardena) after a falling out with Kellogg.

Kellogg didn’t show up for two polygraphs and eventually moved to Washington state and died in 2011.

Pringle’s mother moved around the country and re-married a couple of times. She returned eventually to Oregon and died in 2006.

In the video, the detective said he interviewed Kellogg for about five hours and couldn’t tell for sure whether he did or didn’t do something to Jay.

Video at link.
http://www.kdrv.com/content/news/452811563.html

Do you think there are still family members who are on the look out for Jay?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back