Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Hung jury, mistrial declared in Sidney Moorer trial
Friday, June 24th 2016

proxy.jpg

link

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - After several hours of deliberation that began Thursday evening and continued for most of the day on Friday, 12 jurors could not reach a unanimous verdict and a hung jury was declared in the case of Sidney Moorer, who was charged with kidnapping in connection with the December 2013 disappearance of Heather Elvis.

In light of this development, there is a mistrial and the case against Moorer will have to be retried with a new jury.

Multiple jurors confirmed on camera that the jury was split: 10 in favor of a guilty verdict to two who argued for a not guilty verdict.

Moorer's attorney Kirk Truslow couldn't speak on when a new trial for Moorer would be held, and that the mistrial Friday would have no impact on the other charges. He told media at the courthouse that a change of venue will be discussed for the new trial.

"In a case like this, you want a resolution, for everybody," Truslow said. "If you have a firmly-held belief, you don't give it up just to get along," he added, speaking about the jury.

Media Thread

Social media thread

***Name calling or name variations is strictly prohibited.***

***No Facebook discussion on this thread please***

Thread #1 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis - June 20 & 21,2016 - #1

Thread #2 - https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/mistrial-sidney-moorer-on-trial-for-the-kidnapping-of-heather-elvis-june-22-2016-2.310960

Thread #3 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis - June 23, 2016 #3

Thread #4 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #4

Last edited by a moderator:
or if they were in any of his pictures. or, if they could find other pictures on hard drives/sd drives/usb drives that had the cameras and/or camera monitor in them.

Surely SOMEONE who has been to the Moorer home in the last several years has a pic.

Is there still a reward in this case? Or it it just for discovery of Heather's body?

Surely SOMEONE who has been to the Moorer home in the last several years has a pic.

Is there still a reward in this case? Or it it just for discovery of Heather's body?
and
What about insurance claims - Property and Casualty? They usually have to take some good pictures. Any other pictures taken for insurance coverage?

Thoughts for today, if you don't mind.

How can the Defense just bring up the names of everyone Heather has dated in the trial as possible suspects? All those people should document their alibis for that time and send to KT and threaten to sue him if he tries that again. He better have more than just their names to toss out.

Juror interview - maybe jurors should be asked in advance if they can convict someone on circumstantial evidence and be disqualified same as death penalty cases. Why even go through the whole trial if they know the evidence is all circumstantial, then the juror gives that as the reason for a Not Guilty?

Good morning!

Can anyone post Heather's apartment address? Is the Kangaroo on Joe White?

River Oaks Drive Apartments? Not sure of exact street number/apartment, is probably in original police report, if not redacted.

and

What about insurance claims - Property and Casualty? They usually have to take some good pictures. Any other pictures taken for insurance coverage?

An appraiser would have them too, if they have recently refinanced.

River Oaks Drive Apartments? Not sure of exact street number/apartment, is probably in original police report, if not redacted.

And the investigator/officer that took pics of the apartment said the exact info when she was on the stand, i think - will see if i can find it.

And the investigator/officer that took pics of the apartment said the exact info when she was on the stand, i think - will see if i can find it.

All she said was victims apartment on River Oaks Drive... I'm sure that someone else on here knows that info though...

Originally Posted by stillwatersc

Thoughts for today, if you don't mind.

How can the Defense just bring up the names of everyone Heather has dated in the trial as possible suspects? All those people should document their alibis for that time and send to KT and threaten to sue him if he tries that again. He better have more than just their names to toss out.

Juror interview - maybe jurors should be asked in advance if they can convict someone on circumstantial evidence and be disqualified same as death penalty cases. Why even go through the whole trial if they know the evidence is all circumstantial, then the juror gives that as the reason for a Not Guilty?

Did Truslow ever use the word suspect ? I believe he got the information about the dates/guys from Bri's witness statement. It was up to the Jury to determine how much weight to give this information. A lawsuit against a defense attorney for bringing forth information that might be in favor of his client, would not be successful. IMO

Kangeroo address is 1929 10th Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC. 10th Ave North is Joe White Ave - they are one and the same.

I hope police are investigating amber berbiglia relationship with the moores'..... Amber was working as a
waitress maybe tammy was jealous of her. <modsnip>

Okay I am coming into this very late so forgive me if this has been discussed/isn't the right place but why the effff did these two have bail and why are they free right now with freedom to do whatever they want including post on Facebook??????

Okay I am coming into this very late so forgive me if this has been discussed/isn't the right place but why the effff did these two have bail and why are they free right now with freedom to do whatever they want including post on Facebook??????

Because the judge went to high school with SM's father?

Are you serious?? And then a jury member was allowed on who was friends with the defense lawyer? Hmm. Smells corrupt to me

Yup! There was a huge petition to get this judge removed from the case, but it didn't work.

I feel like people were shocked by PC's little interview. This clan has never complied with the gag order. Not even SM in the middle of his trial. What I find shocking or maybe just really stupid, is what PC says and not that she dares to speak. She has already said in previous interviews that the truck never left the yard and we've all seen video of it doing just that. We know that SM was out and about,he has admitted that and we have video. She lies. She is claiming that SM and TM are innocent because she was with them. OK, Polly, you were in the truck running around with SM? Put her on the stand!

I hope police are investigating amber berbiglia relationship with the moores'..... Amber was working as a
waitress maybe tammy was jealous of her. <modsnip>
How is Amber connected to the Moorers?

Information about the judge located here:
http://m.sccourts.org/circuitCourt/displaycirjudge.cfm?judgeid=2060

"Judge R. Markley Dennis, Jr. was born in Moncks Corner, South Carolina on December 2, 1947. He is the son of the late R. Markley and Grace Smith Dennis, formerly of Pinopolis, SC.

He attended Berkeley County public schools in Moncks Corner and earned his bachelor of science in business administration in 1970 from the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC. While at USC, he became a member of the Kappa Alpha Order, Rho Chapter. He attended the University of South Carolina School of Law in Columbia from 1970-1973, receiving his juris doctorate degree in 1973.

Judge Dennis returned to Moncks Corner upon his graduation from law school to practice law with his father; his uncle, Rembert C. Dennis; and his friend Butch Watson, a longtime friend and law school classmate. While practicing law, he remained very involved with his community. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff