NC NC - Daniel Moses, 61, Northampton County, 16 June 2011

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/josh-shaffer/article86669332.html

Five years ago, Shelia Moses got the news that her childhood home had burned to the ground and her brother had vanished from the scene of the fire – his cars still parked in the driveway and his tongs still out on the grill.

Sheriff’s deputies investigated and called the fire suspicious, but they discovered no clue for the missing truck driver who was locally famous for his barbecued chicken. The 61-year-old man had disappeared like a feather in strong wind.

http://www.nccert.org/daniel-mccoy-moses-still-missing-despite-new-search-effort/

Moses was last seen on June 16, 2011 at his home in the Rehoboth community, located between Rich Square and Jackson. The day he vanished, a fire destroyed his home. Both of his vehicles and his motorcycle were still on the property. Moses (age 61 at the time of his disappearance) is 6’0″ tall and 200 lbs. He has brown eyes and black hair with shades of gray trimmed in a box-style cut.

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11666

Daniel McCoy Moses – The Charley Project

• daniel_mccoy_moses_1.jpg

Moses, circa 2011

• Missing Since06/16/2011
  • Missing FromRich Square, North Carolina
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceBlack
  • Date of Birth07/05/1951 (68)
  • Age59 years old
  • Height and Weight6'3, 200 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionJeans and a hat with a red front.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American male. Graying black hair, brown eyes. Moses has a box-type haircut and a mustache and beard. His left ear is pierced. He has back problems and may limp as a result.
Details of Disappearance
Moses was last seen standing behind his home in the 1900 block of W.J. Duke Service Road in rural Rich Square, North Carolina on the morning of June 16, 2011. He left both his cars and his two motorcycles behind at home. He has never been heard from again.

Authorities only realized Moses was missing after his house caught fire later that same day and was completely destroyed. Investigators believe the fire was accidental, caused by faulty wiring, but his family is suspicious of the timing and thinks it could be arson.

Moses has ten siblings. He enjoys fishing and hunting and is a talented cook, and he had studied karate for many years. He is a retired truck driver and made extra money selling barbecued chicken to his neighbors.

His loved ones said he kept in regular touch with them by phone and it's uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning. Moses is considered to be missing under suspicious circumstances and his case remains unsolved.

FB Group -
Daniel McCoy Moses Missing Since June 16, 2011
27 Apr 2022

As many of you know my oldest brother, Daniel McCoy Moses went missing 10 1/2 years ago. Yesterday, I talked about Daniel's case on the Joe Madison Show.
Thank you, Joe for bringing national attention to Daniel's case. Please listen to the interview and inbox me if you know anything that will help us bring Daniel home. You can also sign the petition that we are sending to the FBI asking them to help!
Continue to call Jack Smith or Walter Brown at the Northampton County Sheriffs Office to ask them to contact the FBI! Thank you in advance!
Much Love, Shelia

safe_image.php

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article244400877.html
JULY 28, 2020

SBM
-...Daniel Moses’ house was on fire.
-...car parked in the yard and his barbecue tools out on the grill
-A day after the fire, his dog trotted home without him.
-In the days before he disappeared, Daniel Moses’ phone pinged a cell phone tower in Virginia,...
-...had talked of fishing in Virginia, just over the state line. The family tried calling him for days but only reached his voicemail on his phone, Shelia Moses said. Then the phone didn’t pick up at all.
-Now a lead investigator with the Northampton sheriff’s office, he believes that the air-conditioner likely sparked the blaze by running for too long. Investigators sprayed Luminol to find traces of blood and found none, he said. He does not believe any struggle happened inside the house.
#more at link

Hi,
First, I'm so sorry that Daniel Moses has been missing for so many years. I heard about his case from the "Unsolved Mysteries" podcast.

I'm sure after so many years, the authorities have done exhaustive searches for Daniel and any contribution I could make would already have been explored by others. That said, I have a bit of data analysis I can share. This post will probably be a bit long.

Context
The SBI and local authorities have searched the woods and area around Daniel's home many times, so there's some reason to believe that area is of interest. Any available information about changes to that area after Daniel's disappearance may aid in locating him if he's there.

About Me
Normally, I wouldn't lead with this, but I'd like to share my expertise. I'm a PhD candidate in Geography, specifically focused on remote sensing of land cover, land use, and other changes. That's a fancy way of saying I'm an expert at image analysis from drones, aircraft, satellites, etc., and I'm reasonably skilled at mapping.

Data Availability and Analysis
The National Agricultural Imagery Program (NAIP) is a US-funded collection of imagery across most of the US, and occurs semi-regularly (every few years). In Rehoboth, NC, this imagery was collected in June 2010 and June 2012 (1 year before, and 1 year after, Daniel's disappearance). The imagery has some interesting properties 1) it is too coarse for seeing individual people as it's about 3 feet per pixel, and 2) it includes visible color (red, green, blue) and near-infrared information. This means that, while the imagery would not be useful for directly locating a person, it would be useful for finding places where the vegetation health, quality, ground surface, and landscape have changed. For example, if a grave were dug, or concrete poured, vegetation cut, etc., it might be useful for identifying the locations of those changes.

Another possibility, though scientifically untested, is that (I'm sorry for this) a decaying body may have a significant impact on vegetation in the direct vicinity (initial decrease in vegetation health due to increased nitrogen in the soil, followed eventually by an increase in the vegetation health). There are researchers at the University of Tennessee's Forensic Anthropology Department who are studying this but I was not able to locate any published papers on their findings. Given the availability of the NAIP imagery, they might be a resource for you to reach out to, as they may be able to do a better job of analysis on this topic than I could.

What I've done is put together a web map with the following layers:
  • NAIP 2010 Imagery
  • NAIP 2020 Imagery
  • Changes between 2010 and 2012
    • dark blue generally means more red reflectance, less near-infrared reflectance (reduced vegetation health)
    • light green generally means less red reflectance, more near-infrared reflectance (increased vegetation)
  • Changes between 2010 and 2012 Relabeled
    • dark blue generally means more red reflectance, less near-infrared reflectance (reduced vegetation health)
    • Red generally means less red reflectance, more near-infrared reflectance (increased vegetation health)
The web map can be viewed here (until August 9th, 2022 when my free access to store the map goes away):
GIS Cloud Map Portal - Missing Person: Daniel Moses

To use the map, you can zoom in and out with a mouse scroll wheel. In a box on the left of the map, you can "Check" and "Uncheck" the layers to show. Layers higher-up on the list block the layers lower on the list... My suggestion is to only have 1 layer checked at a time (expect the changes_imagery_relabeled layer, which I added some transparency to).

Limitations and How to Use the Map Data
As I noted, it's impossible with the NAIP imagery to make out individual people. Additionally, over 2 years, a LOT can change in an area, and most or all of the changes are likely to be irrelevant to helping with this case. However, here's a tip that could help make this information more useful:
  • In the changes_imagery_relabeled layer, red and blue pixels in groups of 5 connected pixels or fewer would probably be the most likely to be helpful in finding relevant changes related to this case. This is because (hypothetically and untested) the impact of a single body on the surrounding vegetation would be limited in area.
  • The map could be useful in narrowing search areas or targeting new search areas near Daniel's home.
Finally, the web map is a temporary way for me to share the map data on the off chance that it is helpful to anyone still conducting area searches. I'd be happy to provide the actual GIS files to interested (and qualified?) people who have GIS experience. I also may be able to spend some time creating a similar set of map data for another location (Virginia was mentioned) if a general search area / area of interest is provided.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Hi,
First, I'm so sorry that Daniel Moses has been missing for so many years. I heard about his case from the "Unsolved Mysteries" podcast.

I'm sure after so many years, the authorities have done exhaustive searches for Daniel and any contribution I could make would already have been explored by others. That said, I have a bit of data analysis I can share. This post will probably be a bit long.

Context
The SBI and local authorities have searched the woods and area around Daniel's home many times, so there's some reason to believe that area is of interest. Any available information about changes to that area after Daniel's disappearance may aid in locating him if he's there.

About Me
Normally, I wouldn't lead with this, but I'd like to share my expertise. I'm a PhD candidate in Geography, specifically focused on remote sensing of land cover, land use, and other changes. That's a fancy way of saying I'm an expert at image analysis from drones, aircraft, satellites, etc., and I'm reasonably skilled at mapping.

Data Availability and Analysis
The National Agricultural Imagery Program (NAIP) is a US-funded collection of imagery across most of the US, and occurs semi-regularly (every few years). In Rehoboth, NC, this imagery was collected in June 2010 and June 2012 (1 year before, and 1 year after, Daniel's disappearance). The imagery has some interesting properties 1) it is too coarse for seeing individual people as it's about 3 feet per pixel, and 2) it includes visible color (red, green, blue) and near-infrared information. This means that, while the imagery would not be useful for directly locating a person, it would be useful for finding places where the vegetation health, quality, ground surface, and landscape have changed. For example, if a grave were dug, or concrete poured, vegetation cut, etc., it might be useful for identifying the locations of those changes.

Another possibility, though scientifically untested, is that (I'm sorry for this) a decaying body may have a significant impact on vegetation in the direct vicinity (initial decrease in vegetation health due to increased nitrogen in the soil, followed eventually by an increase in the vegetation health). There are researchers at the University of Tennessee's Forensic Anthropology Department who are studying this but I was not able to locate any published papers on their findings. Given the availability of the NAIP imagery, they might be a resource for you to reach out to, as they may be able to do a better job of analysis on this topic than I could.

What I've done is put together a web map with the following layers:
  • NAIP 2010 Imagery
  • NAIP 2020 Imagery
  • Changes between 2010 and 2012
    • light green generally means less red reflectance, more near-infrared reflectance (increased vegetation)
  • Changes between 2010 and 2012 Relabeled
    • Red generally means less red reflectance, more near-infrared reflectance (increased vegetation health)
The web map can be viewed here (until August 9th, 2022 when my free access to store the map goes away):
GIS Cloud Map Portal - Missing Person: Daniel Moses

To use the map, you can zoom in and out with a mouse scroll wheel. In a box on the left of the map, you can "Check" and "Uncheck" the layers to show. Layers higher-up on the list block the layers lower on the list... My suggestion is to only have 1 layer checked at a time (expect the changes_imagery_relabeled layer, which I added some transparency to).

Limitations and How to Use the Map Data
As I noted, it's impossible with the NAIP imagery to make out individual people. Additionally, over 2 years, a LOT can change in an area, and most or all of the changes are likely to be irrelevant to helping with this case. However, here's a tip that could help make this information more useful:
  • In the changes_imagery_relabeled layer, red and blue pixels in groups of 5 connected pixels or fewer would probably be the most likely to be helpful in finding relevant changes related to this case. This is because (hypothetically and untested) the impact of a single body on the surrounding vegetation would be limited in area.
  • The map could be useful in narrowing search areas or targeting new search areas near Daniel's home.
Finally, the web map is a temporary way for me to share the map data on the off chance that it is helpful to anyone still conducting area searches. I'd be happy to provide the actual GIS files to interested (and qualified?) people who have GIS experience. I also may be able to spend some time creating a similar set of map data for another location (Virginia was mentioned) if a general search area / area of interest is provided.

Best wishes.

Hi there! Curious to know where on that map Mr. Moses' house is. I assume somewhere central, but I've not been able to find the exact address, just that it was on the 1900 block of Duke.

Thank you.

Hi there! Curious to know where on that map Mr. Moses' house is. I assume somewhere central, but I've not been able to find the exact address, just that it was on the 1900 block of Duke.

Thank you.
I actually don't 'know' this information with certainty (including the exact house and address). Like you, I saw it was the 1900 block of WJ Duke. I assume the exact address was not released intentionally... however, the house caught fire in 2011. With that information, if you check and uncheck the 2010 and 2012 NAIP imagery in the map I provided (with the 'changes' layers also unchecked) you can see there is 1 home that was there in 2010, and gone 2012. Without further information or confirmation regarding the address, I am assuming that is Daniel's home.

…But new clues offer hope in Daniel Moses’ case: a tip from a witness who saw his leg poking out from the trunk of a car, wearing the same kind of tube sock he liked to wear on his bike. With people finally talking, Shelia Moses hopes investigators will push harder and bring peace, closure and long-sought answers.

The narrator in the video has a lovely voice, very moving, imo.
July 27 2022
''Daniel Moses, the beloved ‘Barbeque Man’ of Rich Square, North Carolina, disappears into thin air and his home is burned to the ground. The missing person’s investigation gets off to a slow start after his long-time girlfriend tells the family he has simply gone on vacation. When the State Bureau of Investigation takes on the case several months later, they uncover more questions than answers. Eleven years have passed with no sign of Daniel Moses, but his sister Shelia has kept the case alive, stopping at nothing to find out what happened to her big brother.

Daniel Moses was 59 years old when he was last seen at his home in Rehoboth, North Carolina on or around June 12, 2011. He is 6’3” tall and 200 to 220 pounds, with brown eyes, black hair, and a piercing in his left ear. If you have any information about his whereabouts, call the Northampton County Sheriff’s Office at (252) 534-2611, or submit a tip to our website.''

The searchers’ feet sunk into ankle-deep swamp water and sticker bushes grabbed at their hands as they pushed through the thick underbrush, looking for the tiniest sign of Daniel Moses.

They started at the end of a dead-end road, still in sight of their command post at an abandoned state prison, but the woods grew so dense they soon lost sight of each other standing 10 feet apart.

A piece of plastic here. An impression in the dirt there. Anything in these Northampton County woods might help find Moses — missing now for a dozen years.

“You never know what God’s going to bring to us today,” said Northampton Sheriff Jack Smith, addressing the crowd of 50 searchers. “You don’t ever know what you’re going to turn up till you look.”

Daniel Moses

This assembly of sheriff’s deputies, search and rescue teams, drone operators and five cadaver dogs represented the largest search yet for Moses, who vanished from the family home outside rural Rich Square in 2011.

For his sister Shelia Moses, it represented the fruit of more than a decade of persistence — a constant push for answers that borders on pestering. Twice on Tuesday, she told searchers she was 49 when her older brother went missing. Soon, she will turn 62.

“I’ve been waiting for the funeral twelve years,” she said. “I ask you to think of my mother today. She died not knowing what happened to Daniel.”

Volunteers from a number of local and state agencies gathered on the grounds of the former Odom Correctional Facility near here on Tuesday of this week to kick off another search for Daniel McCoy Moses, who has been missing more than a decade now.

On June 16, 2011, Daniel’s home in the Rehoboth community burned down and the family discovered that he was gone without a trace. His vehicles were still at the house, the doors had been locked, and the AC had been running. But no body or blood was found in the remains of the house after the fire.

Since then, Shelia Moses – one of his siblings – has tirelessly led the fight to ensure the search continues until Daniel has been found.

“I can only ask for his remains at this point,” Moses told the News Herald on Tuesday morning as searchers began to comb the expansive area of trees and fields. “I would like to have my brother’s body back, and bring him home.”

Walter Brown worked on the Daniel Moses case before he retired from the State Bureau of Investigations (SBI), and now continues to investigate as a part-time member of the Northampton County Sheriff’s Office.

“We do have some evidence and some direction in this investigation. This search is a part of that,” he said on Tuesday. “Some of this is based on some information we’ve received. Some of it is just searching the areas that we didn’t search originally.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back