Girl, 15, commits suicide after friends share nude Snapchat video

margarita25

Reaction score
This is so sad:

Girl, 15, commits suicide after friends share nude Snapchat video taken without permission
http://wfla.com/2016/06/08/girl-15-commits-suicide-after-friends-share-nude-snapchat-video/

"Tovonna was a freshman at Wiregrass Ranch High School in Wesley Chapel. The teen had taken the gun from her mother’s purse. Just hours before Tovonna has expressed concern over a nude picture her friends had taken of her without her permission.

“Tovonna would say, ‘Mommy, I owe them; I owe them’. I said, ‘What do you mean you owe them?’ I couldn’t understand what was wrong,” Holton-Teamer said.

Hours after Tovonna’s death, the girl’s aunt took to Facebook in search of answers.

“I just said, ‘If anybody knows anything, what happened? Have you heard of anything? Do you know who these kids are who have the pictures?’ I thought it was just pictures and then the kids started inboxing me,” said Angel Scott, Tovonna’s aunt. Scott learned it*was actually a nude video of the girl, taken while she was in the shower.

“Everybody was out there talking about her and calling her names and they said it went up on social media, Snapchat. I’d never heard of that before about 3 something that afternoon,” she said.

Tovonna was dead three hours later."

attachment.php

Attachments

• img_93301.jpg
    img_93301.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 251
Deputies say teen's suicide had nothing to do with bullying or social media

Solei said she couldn’t see it happening, because she was in another room, but says she “could hear the sound of the belt hitting her skin. It sounded like she was hit about fifteen times,” the report said.

Other witnesses confirm the same account.

The police report says Tovonna also sent text messages to her boyfriend shortly before her suicide saying:

“I’m so dead” and “My mom hates me. I literally (expletive) up everything. I’m such a (expletive) up and I can’t do anything anymore. I’m truly sorry and I’ll always love you.”

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...d-nothing-to-do-with-bullying-or-social-media

Deputies say teen's suicide had nothing to do with bullying or social media

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...d-nothing-to-do-with-bullying-or-social-media

Wow, bluesneakers...didn't see that one coming...

Also from your link above:

"Case got worldwide attention, but story was false

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. - The truth is now coming out.

For nearly a month, a mother has been claiming cyberbullies pushed her daughter to take her own life.

But Pasco County investigators say her claims are not true, and finds that the teenagers the mother blamed are not at fault."

Snip

"Holton-Teamer says she “slapped Tovonna in the face a couple of times”, according to police.

Solei told investigators “Her mother grabbed a belt and went into Tovonna’s bedroom and started whipping her with the belt.”"

Wow, this is a complex situation with attorneys, etc:

"Scott says family members are sticking by their story and are still considering possible legal action against Tovonna's Friends."

"She was filmed in the nude and then it was uploaded on social media,” said her aunt Angel Scott. “And it just broke her.”

“They had no right to film my baby!” Echoed Holton-Teamer, whose small pink handgun was used in the suicide, according to the police report.

“That had nothing to do with her death. I'm positive about that,” said Tovonna’s best friend Soleil Kouandjio."

I couldn't get your link to open so I googled and that was the first thing to come up! Crazy.

I'm not sure I believe this, jmo:

"Soleil decided to come forward since the family was blaming her and her friends.

She said she did post a video clip of Tovonna on Snapchat, but she says Tovonna was not nude and agreed to post the video.

“I would never do anything to humiliate her or something like that. I would never do anything like that. I loved her so much,” Soleil said.""

(Has the existence of this video and it's contents (clothed vs unclothed) been proven?)

"“It's very unfortunate that these accusations would come out against these students who did nothing wrong,” said Pasco County Schools Spokesperson Linda Cobbe. “And now it looks like they were responsible for this poor child's suicide. “

Pasco County Schools warned local media shortly after Tovonna’s suicide that the district had no record of her ever being bullied, as her mother claimed.""

(Is the school just trying to pass off any potential liability? Cover their behinds?)

Snapchats disappear after you view them. Unless someone reposted it from another source or took a screenshot it would be difficult to prove.

Does the mother have the messages she said she received? Those would stick around.

Maybe it was a combination of everything...

"Soleil's attorney Jeffrey Brown also sent emails to Tampa Bay media outlets on June 10th, saying in part:

"I am aware that the mother and aunt of Tovonna Holton are alleging the narrative that “she (Tovonna) took her life after being filmed nude in the shower by peer students, who then shared and shamed her on Snapchat.” This narrative is untrue and not based on credible facts and is their opinion only…this is not a cyber bullying case. She did not take her life because of any Snapchat video and there was never any shaming. There is ample evidence left by Tovonna to substantiate this and the on-going criminal investigation is well aware of this evidence. *

So, please, do not continue to publish the narrative of cyber bullying because it could end up causing physical and emotional injury to innocent individuals including my client. People are reading and listening to this narrative and sending hate emails because they believe the narrative to be true. It would indeed be tragic if one of these people acted out on these hate emails after reading or listening to your coverage of cyber bullying and then we find out that this is not, and never has been, a case of cyber bullying.""

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back