NY - Connor Golden, 18, foot severed in Central Park explosion, 3 July 2016

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

NYPD investigators suspected a mishap involving fireworks and said it did not appear an explosive device caused the boom heard from blocks away around 11 a.m. — but hours after the “amputation incident” the cause remained a mystery.

Two friends of the victim, Connor Golden, 18, of Fairfax, Va., insisted they had no fireworks or other explosives. One witnesses said the victim’s foot was “all but gone.” Another said the blast sounded “like a cannon.”

The NYPD’s bomb squad was investigating an area of the park near E. 60th St. and Fifth Ave. Cops also examined a car parked at Newark Airport that the victim used to drive to New York, sources said.

The FBI took over investigation of the case, a source said.

***Warning, graphic images at the link***
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...central-park-severs-man-leg-article-1.2697682

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 439
I was just reading about this.....absolutely awful. This poor guy's life has changed in an instant. I wonder WTH he stepped on.

The explosive that severely injured a man in New York's Central Park today was likely "an experiment with fireworks or explosives," but did not seem like a device made deliberately to hurt anyone, officials said.

(...) police said they did not believe it was connected to terrorism.

Mark Torre, commanding officer of the NYPD bomb squad, added that investigators are leaning toward considering this the work of an explosive "hobbyist," an amateur or someone who knows chemistry.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/explosive-injured-man-yorks-central-park-experiment-cops/story?id=40314758

oh my gosh

“I was walking in front of him and suddenly heard this extremely loud explosion directly behind me. When I turned around, I saw Connor lying there, his foot completely gone. It was insane. He was moaning and saying, ‘Get help.’ ”

http://nypost.com/2016/07/03/man-loses-foot-after-stepping-on-possible-firework-in-central-park/

Cannot stress this enough. Every single article and link I have opened contains the same graphic images of this young man's foot and leg as first responders arrive and assess. Not for the faint at heart or those with weak stomachs.

I'm not so convinced that someone was "experimenting with homemade fireworks" and just left the bag there. Come on. I get not wanting to freak people out right before the fourth but this sounded like a damn booby trap (if it's that innocent). This poor kid. NYPD better be in high alert tomorrow. Smdh.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

oh my gosh

“I was walking in front of him and suddenly heard this extremely loud explosion directly behind me. When I turned around, I saw Connor lying there, his foot completely gone. It was insane. He was moaning and saying, ‘Get help.’ ”

http://nypost.com/2016/07/03/man-loses-foot-after-stepping-on-possible-firework-in-central-park/

Cannot stress this enough. Every single article and link I have opened contains the same graphic images of this young man's foot and leg as first responders arrive and assess. Not for the faint at heart or those with weak stomachs.

Many of the major media outlets cropped the photo above his foot, thankfully. That is pretty tasteless to show that gore!

Jeez Louise! Praying for that young man.

Geez, how awful. I hope they are able to figure out who did this. Praying for Connor.

My thought is it was done the day before the fourth so LE would think it was related to the fourth.

However, it has nothing to do with the fourth and is an experiment for a future date!

My thought is it was done the day before the fourth so LE would think it was related to the fourth.

However, it has nothing to do with the fourth and is an experiment for a future date!
I agree, besides I have lived in NY my whole life and I never heard of random "home made" fireworks left in a bag to explode when stepped on. They are trying to be so nonchalant about it like it happens regularly on the 4th. Yes kids blow their body parts off PLAYING with FIREWORKS. But this kid was climbing a rock for goodness sake. They call it home made fireworks? nah it was a home made bomb, more like a freaking land mine. Now do we have a sicko in NYC planting booby traps? Or worse? Kind of reminds me of the creeps that put razors in apples and pins in candy on Halloween.

My heart goes out to this young man that was so excited to visit my City. I hope he gets the best treatment available.

dry run

"The homemade gadget was likely an "explosive experiment" that was probably designed to "make a large noise, maybe make a flash," concocted by someone with a basic understanding of chemistry, said Lt. Mark Torre, commanding officer of the New York Police Department's bomb squad."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/virginia-teen-lower-leg-amputated-after-central-park-blast/

I fail to understand why police seem to be trying to minimize it. Trying not to induce panic?
It blew the kid's leg off-young kid's life is now forever altered. So why would police even claim somebody was just trying to make noise? How do they know that somebody was just trying to make noise as opposing to somebody trying to kill some innocent victim but under-estimating?

"The homemade gadget was likely an "explosive experiment" that was probably designed to "make a large noise, maybe make a flash," concocted by someone with a basic understanding of chemistry, said Lt. Mark Torre, commanding officer of the New York Police Department's bomb squad."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/virginia-teen-lower-leg-amputated-after-central-park-blast/

I fail to understand why police seem to be trying to minimize it. Trying not to induce panic?
It blew the kid's leg off-young kid's life is now forever altered. So why would police even claim somebody was just trying to make noise? How do they know that somebody was just trying to make noise as opposing to somebody trying to kill some innocent victim but under-estimating?
Exactly! Thank you!
How could they presume to know anything about what the inventor of this explosive wanted to achieve? This is driving me nuts.

Exactly! Thank you!
How could they presume to know anything about what the inventor of this explosive wanted to achieve? This is driving me nuts.

It's making me angry. Kid had his leg blown off and police are talking "ideal location for an experiment."
What kind of experiment? Blowing people's leg off? Is this somebody planning to conduct a bigger "experiment" in the near future? When I go to the park I don't expect people are conducting experiments with explosives there.

"He added, "If somebody lives in that vicinity, their backyard is Central Park. It's sort of an ideal location conducive to conducting that kind of experiment.""

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-investigating-caused-explosion-central-park/story?id=40344335

Okay, let me see if I have this correct.

If only one person is injured by an unknown homemade gadget that has the power to cause major damage to a person, LE sweeps the incident under the carpet. It is passed off in a casual manner. No big deal.

However, say three people were hurt, then the word terrorists jumps out and the US is on alert again.

It is not the number of people injured, it is the manner in which they are hurt that needs to be looked at! This type of gadget is going to show up again, it is just a matter of when, where, and how many.

Just another case of the US government agencies showing us how well protected we are! NY police had a big day of work ahead of them on the third leading into the Fourth of July. No time to make this a major crime!

My opinions only

The teen who was injured in an explosion in Central Park is suffering complications.

(...) Connor Golden, who had his foot and part of his leg amputated after the July 3 incident, had another surgery "due to complications from what doctors describe as a local infection in the area of his wound."

He remains at Bellevue Hospital in New York.
http://abc7ny.com/news/teen-who-stepped-on-central-park-explosive-has-setback-surgery/1426537/

Also, I am still looking for a print source, but CNN is breaking the news that a lab has now confirmed that the blast was caused by a homemade explosive, specifically TATP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back