Not open for further replies.

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hung jury, mistrial declared in Sidney Moorer trial
Friday, June 24th 2016

proxy.jpg

link

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - After several hours of deliberation that began Thursday evening and continued for most of the day on Friday, 12 jurors could not reach a unanimous verdict and a hung jury was declared in the case of Sidney Moorer, who was charged with kidnapping in connection with the December 2013 disappearance of Heather Elvis.

In light of this development, there is a mistrial and the case against Moorer will have to be retried with a new jury.

Multiple jurors confirmed on camera that the jury was split: 10 in favor of a guilty verdict to two who argued for a not guilty verdict.

Moorer's attorney Kirk Truslow couldn't speak on when a new trial for Moorer would be held, and that the mistrial Friday would have no impact on the other charges. He told media at the courthouse that a change of venue will be discussed for the new trial.

"In a case like this, you want a resolution, for everybody," Truslow said. "If you have a firmly-held belief, you don't give it up just to get along," he added, speaking about the jury.

Media Thread

Social media thread

***Name calling or name variations are strictly prohibited.***

***No Facebook discussion on this thread please***

Thread #1 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis - June 20 & 21,2016 - #1

Thread #2 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis - June 22, 2016 #2

Thread #3 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis - June 23, 2016 #3

Thread #4 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #4

Thread #5 - MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #5

Last edited by a moderator:
BY PTF BBM So true. Not that BW was lying or did not tell the truth about what Heather told her. Heather only told BW a portion of what she discussed with SM IMO. And, Heather obviously did not do what she told BW she was going to do – sleep on it.

The call between Heather and Bri was a short 2 minutes, whereas the call between Heather and SM lasted 5 minutes.

I also agree with others here about NL's focus on BW's testimony. She spent way too much time trying to characterize Heather and not enough time on the 'luring' factor of the call.

The short call to Bri also doesn't jive with your BFF HE being hysterical but yet call is brief.

The million dollar call is the one SM placed.

I don't recall Bri saying Heather was "hysterical," though I do remember her saying Heather was sobbing on the phone when she called and then Heather calmed down when Bri changed the subject and got her to talk about her date with SS. I think had Bri been willing to chat to Heather about SM's call rather than chastise her, Heather would have disclosed more.

I know what it's like to talk to someone when they're not interested in or not feeling supportive of the thing that is being talked about (relationships are that kind of hot button for people), yet you're upset and you need to reach out but you don't get what you need from the talk so you sort of shut down or talk about something else. Been there.

For those who think there's some other reason why Heather was crying hard on the phone when she called Bri, please share what you think was the reason for her crying? (No, it wasn't because Sid was (allegedly) leaving his wife.) So what was it?

I don't recall Bri saying Heather was "hysterical," though I do remember her saying Heather was sobbing on the phone when she called and then Heather calmed down when Bri changed the subject and got her to talk about her date with SS. I think had Bri been willing to chat to Heather about SM's call rather than chastise her, Heather would have disclosed more.

I know what it's like to talk to someone when they're not interested in or not feeling supportive of the thing that is being talked about (relationships are that kind of hot button for people), yet you're upset and you need to reach out but you don't get what you need from the talk so you sort of shut down or talk about something else. Been there.

For those who think there's some other reason why Heather was crying hard on the phone when she called Bri, please share what you think was the reason for her crying? (No, it wasn't because Sid was (allegedly) leaving his wife.) So what was it?

Bri testified, "Heather called, it was not like sobbing, she was hysterically crying".

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article85676907.html

IMO a two minute phone call from a girl, HE, who has just heard from her boyfriend that she supposedly was broken up with, to her BFF, is a very short conversation. All kind of emotions were going through HE's head,so I can't imagine that very much was said. Maybe I am just a talker, but I couldn't get much detail out in 2 minutes.:thinking:

This is not print not matching up, I heard Bri use that word while testifying....cue up the video.

The video of her testimony is right below the Highlight section.

Oops I got that backwards. Bri said, "not like sobbing but hysterically crying."

Ok I have no idea what the difference is between the two, but it meant something different to Bri.

So why was Heather crying if none of the offered theories by those who proposed them on WS are acceptable?

More from Bri (verbatim)

this is all Bri talking during her testimony:

"I (Bri) said, 'what did he want?' She (Heather) said, 'he said that he left his wife, and that he wanted to see her and be with her, and that he missed her..and I said, 'Don't do it!' You've been doing so good, you're finally moving on, you went on a date...then I said tell me about the date.. she said that she learned how to drive a stick <crying> and she knew it would make me proud. So I changed the subject <more crying> and I asked her about the date and how it went and I said, 'now you can learn how to drive my car' because I didn't want her to burn out the clutch in my car..."

IMO it's sofa king clear that HE would be extremely emotional hearing from him, the man she had fallen deeply in love with and had been trying to get over. (I do think Bri used the word "hysterical" but don't think the exact verbage is even relevant). I am struggling to understand the significance this holds to those who believe HE having been so upset was for a nefarious reason? (Same question you have.... I think)? Not trying to be controversial, would just like to understand .... 'cos I could be missing something. [emoji53]

ETA: I should have finished reading the thread before posting. Sowwy y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?311195-Sidney-Moorer-on-trial-for-the-kidnapping-of-Heather-Elvis-***MISTRIAL-declared***-2&p=12677141#post12677141, said by Magnolia on last thread.

How does PTL play into Heather being abducted at LongBeards? How and why did her car end up at the landing?
Again, my opinion, is that Sidney or Tammy drove Heather's car to PTL. Inclined myself to think Sidney.
The black F150 picked up at PTL and drove home.

Heather was taken by a Caison/Moorer young relative for muchos dollars.

:moo:

IMO it's sofa king clear that HE would be extremely emotional hearing from him, the man she had fallen deeply in love with and had been trying to get over. (I do think Bri used the word "hysterical" but don't think the exact verbage is even relevant). I am struggling to understand the significance this holds to those who believe HE having been so upset was for a nefarious reason? (Same question you have.... I think)? Not trying to be controversial, would just like to understand .... 'cos I could be missing something. [emoji53]

ETA: I should have finished reading the thread before posting. Sowwy y'all.

Daisy, it is significant to some of us because "hysterically crying" is an extreme emotional reaction. Bri's testimony reflected that. I'm not sure why you got the impression anyone believes there was a nefarious reason for Heather getting upset. I have no idea what Sidney said to Heather during that conversation. I don't have to know or speculate on what he said in order to question the hearsay testimony. It is my opinion, Heather may have been untruthful about the conversation she had with SM. I don't think the extreme reaction fits her version of the conversation. I appreciate the theories that have been offered. I have considered each and every one of them. I think we should accept and respect each other's opinions and move on.:)

Off to watch this piece of the trial for 4th time to quadruple check the movement of Heather's cellphone and the switching 'on' of Sidney's cellphone between 2.30am and 3.30am.

[video=youtube;EDANtHK2e2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDANtHK2e2E[/video]

Daisy, it is significant to some of us because "hysterically crying" is an extreme emotional reaction. Bri's testimony reflected that. I'm not sure why you got the impression anyone believes there was a nefarious reason for Heather getting upset. I have no idea what Sidney said to Heather during that conversation. I don't have to know or speculate on what he said in order to question the hearsay testimony. It is my opinion, Heather may have been untruthful about the conversation she had with SM. I don't think the extreme reaction fits her version of the conversation. I appreciate the theories that have been offered. I have considered each and every one of them. I think we should accept and respect each other's opinions and move on.:)

Awww Magnolia, i DO respect your opinion, and all others here. Sorry if I came across otherwise. Just sincerely trying to understand what difference it would make. In retrospect, I misused the word "nefarious." (I don't translate my thoughts well in written form).

The video of her testimony is right below the Highlight section.

I think you misunderstood my post, I was agreeing with you and saying it was not an article that misquoted her. You and I have both used the word hysterically as well as Bri.

Awww Magnolia, i DO respect your opinion, and all others here. Sorry if I came across otherwise. Just sincerely trying to understand what difference it would make. In retrospect, I misused the word "nefarious." (I don't translate my thoughts well in written form).

Thanks Daisy. No big deal. :)

I think you misunderstood my post, I was agreeing with you and saying it was not an article that misquoted her. You and I have both used the word hysterically as well as Bri.

Sorry, You're right. I did misunderstand. I thought you were having a problem finding the video. :)

I think the definition of "hysterically" is pretty subjective. JMO

I agree, independent of anything else, "hysterically" is pretty subjective. That is not the case here. (Bri -- it was not like sobbing) IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni