GUILTY WI - David Schuldes, 25, & Ellen Matheys, 24, murdered, Silver Cliff, July 1976 *Arrest in 2019*

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
David Schuldes and Ellen Matheys, an engaged couple from Green Bay, were camping in McClintock Park where they were both killed on July 9th 1976. David was found on a path near a restroom and had been shot in the throat with a .30 caliber rifle. Ellen was found in a wooded area outside the park; she had been sexually assaulted and shot twice with the same rifle. Their murders are still unsolved and investigators are asking for anyone with information to come forward.

I can't find a lot more information online. A couple reported hearing a gunshot at around 2:30 pm that day and an older news article writes that David's body was discovered at around 2:55 pm. Ellen's body was discovered early the next morning. I think the theory is that they were both walking towards the bathroom where David was killed first and then Ellen was taken by the perpetrator. A man was seen carrying a rifle in the park that day and a sketch of the possible suspect was released.

David and Ellen were planning on getting married in September of that year.

Forty years later, murders unsolved

Saturday will mark the 40th anniversary of an unsolved double homicide in the town of Silver Cliff, Wis., and Marinette County Sheriff Jerry Sauve would like to remind residents about the case in hopes of finding new information.

"Advances in DNA by the Wisconsin Crime Lab keep us hopeful that with the right information coming forward, we may identify a suspect in this case and bring conclusion to this crime," he added.

Crime lab identifies DNA in 25-year-old murder case - July 2001

The state crime laboratory recently profiled some DNA evidence that was preserved from Matheys' autopsy.

"It's as good as a fingerprint," said Lt. Jerry Sauve of the Marinette County Sheriff's Department.

Using the DNA profile, investigators have eliminated half of their 23 suspects in the case.

They also used computer software to update a sketch of the suspect. The original sketch was based on a description from two people who saw a man carrying a rifle in the park that day. The suspect would be about 50 years old now.

The July 29, 1986 issue of the Ironwood Daily Globe reported that

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/schuldes2_zpsxloug9q9.jpg

two Brown County, Wisconsin Sheriff's deputies were camping at the park with their wives and noticed the man watching them from the woods. The deputy went into his camping trailer to get his weapon but the man had left by the time he got back. The campground is in northern Marquette County, Wisconsin, north of Green Bay. Other campers had seen the man in the area carrying a rifle around the time the victims were killed.

Thanks for the updates pleasestandby.....I was taken aback by the statement attributed to the parks administrator - he would prefer that everyone just forget about these murders. How insensitive!

What awful murders.....it would be wonderful if there would be a break in the case. Two innocent people just out to have a good time camping. Absolutely frightening.

Thanks for the updates pleasestandby.....I was taken aback by the statement attributed to the parks administrator - he would prefer that everyone just forget about these murders. How insensitive!

What awful murders.....it would be wonderful if there would be a break in the case. Two innocent people just out to have a good time camping. Absolutely frightening.

They were going to get married, too. Here's some more links to my photobucket page with more information on the crime. There's a revised and updated sketch of this man that I'm trying to obtain. He should be 60-70 years old today. It's hard to believe that he committed just those two murders. Someone somewhere just might recognize his sketch and link it to a similar crime.

Madison State Journal August 18, 1976

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/schuldes4_zpsuumug4pc.jpg

Kenosha News, July 12, 1976

[video]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/schulde_zpsoijz9qfu.png[/video]

Appleton Post Crescent July 12, 1976

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/schuldes3_zpsdyfffzsn.jpg

Stevens Point Daily Journal, July 12, 1976

[video]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/schuldes5_zpspvk622cx.png[/video]

McClintock Park is between Goodman, Wisconsin and Silver Cliff, Wisconsin on google.

https://goo.gl/maps/agxNm26scZD2

McClintock Park is between Goodman, Wisconsin and Silver Cliff, Wisconsin on google.

https://goo.gl/maps/agxNm26scZD2

The same map, but with the Town of Beecher, WI included and 30 miles away, where, on August 30, 1975, a year earlier, Patricia Wisniewski, 35, was shot and killed at 1:30 AM, at her trailer while her three children slept in the other room, also with a .30 cal. rifle. As in the Schuldes, Matheys murders, no shell casings were found at the scene.

If this were the same person who committed all three murders, he would be classified as a serial killer. I believe the same person was involved.

https://goo.gl/maps/kqoSxWpgFfQ2

The Milwaukee Sentinel - Nov 7, 1977

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19771107&id=WXpIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7REEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6829,1112288&hl=en

42 years later, investigators hope new photos lead to cold case killer
It's been 42 years since a Green Bay couple was murdered during a camping trip in Marinette County, and investigators hope new composite photos of the suspect will help them catch the killer.

Marinette+County+cold+case+suspect+both+photos+on+background.jpg

On July 9, 1976, David Schuldes and Ellen Matheys were killed as they walked in McClintock Park in the Town of Silver Cliff.

Schuldes, 25, was found shot to death in the park. Matheys, 24, was sexually assaulted and shot to death. Her body was found in a wooded area outside the park.

The case went cold. The Sheriff's Office on Monday released a new composite photo of the suspect that was created using DNA technology.

Cold case killing of Wisconsin couple prompts new suspect sketches from DNA on clothing

1531401309104.jpg

It's been a little more than four decades since a Wisconsin couple was shot to death while camping in the northern part of the state, but officials are hoping a new set of composite sketches -- made with the help of DNA -- will finally lead to the killer.

The Marinette County Sheriff's Office said Monday that it collaborated with Parabon NanoLabs, a DNA tech company in Virginia, to come up with the composite images and likely features of the suspect, and received the results just a week before the 42nd anniversary of the murders of David Schuldes, 25, and 24-year-old Ellen Matheys.

The couple was camping at McClintock Park in Silver Cliff, located about 85 miles north of Green Bay, on July 9, 1976 when they were shot to death, according to FOX11.

Marinette County Sheriff's Office

Recent advancements in DNA technology has allowed investigators to come up with a new scientific composite image of the suspect in the McClintock Park double homicide which occurred on July 9th, 1976.

Through DNA Phenotyping, law enforcement was able to predict the suspect’s hair color, eye color, facial features, freckling, and probable heritage.

Marinette County Sheriff’s Office collaborated with Parabon Company based out of Virginia to come up with the composite images and likely features. The first image is what investigators believe to be the suspect at/around age 25. The second image is age enhanced to the age around 65 years old.

Anyone with any information in this case is urged to contact our office at 715-732-7310, or Crimestoppers tip line at 1-800-427-5857, we have a link to Crimestoppers on our page, or text a tip to 274637 (crimes) key word “Marinette”.

upload_2018-7-13_22-51-26.jpegupload_2018-7-13_22-51-10.jpeg

DNA samples collected, but no hits yet in Marinette County cold case

The Marinette County Sheriff's Office has received more than 60 tips since the release of composite sketches of a suspect in a decades-old double murder.

On July 9, 1976, David Schuldes and Ellen Matheys were slain while on a camping trip in the Town of Silver Cliff. Schuldes, 25, was found shot to death in McClintock Park. Matheys, 24, was sexually assaulted and shot to death. Her body was found in a wooded area outside the park.

In July 2018, the sheriff released sketches of a suspect created by using DNA analysis. A Snapshot Phenotype Report shows what the suspect would look like at age 25 and what the suspect would look like age progressed to age 65.

Arrest made in 43-year-old Marinette County murder case
"From the profile of our DNA Sample, they could start telling us origin of the person, Northern European, things like that, and eventually we were given surnames names to start working with and ruling people out.

The Sheriff's Office says the arrest was made solely based on DNA.

They're not releasing any other information in the case right now.

They're asking anyone with information on this case to contact the Marinette County Sheriff's Office tipline at (715) 732-7310.

eb0f85aa-7d72-432a-85da-c671bcc35d49-medium16x9_SCHULDESMATHEYS.jpg

Ellen Matheys and David Schuldes were fatally shot at McClintock Park in Marinette County July 9, 1976. (WLUK file photo)

Sounds like they have the right guy. His DNA matched and he had some problems in his past

from the link above

In 1957, when he was 20, married, and going by the name Lawrence Vannieuwenhoven, he was jailed for six months for an unprovoked attack on a 17-year-old girl. She was walking with three friends when Vannieuwenhoven struck her on the back, face, and shoulder. Shortly before, police said, Vannieuwenhoven also tried to attack a 16-year-old girl.

Vannieuwenhoven said before sentencing he "was only trying to scare the girls," the Press-Gazette reported at the time.

In 1960, he pleaded guilty to not providing financial support to his wife and their 1-year-old daughter, the Press-Gazette reported then. He was on probation for a year.

I wonder if he was involved in any other assaults, rapes or murders? Seems very possible he could have committed rapes in his younger days. Sadly those weren't always reported or fully investigated back in the 1950's and 60's.

It was also said he had a terrible temper when drinking.

BS. This male victim shot in the neck from distance . This was a hit . Someone wanted them dead and my guess it was about a wedding .
Lets pin it on the old guy

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288