CA - Dylan Noble, 19, fatally shot by Fresno police, 25 June 2016

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fresno-dylan-noble-body-camera-20160711-snap-story.html

In a claim filed Monday, Veronica Nelson said her son, Dylan Noble, was stopped on June 25 by officers, who already had their guns drawn. He walked away from officers with his hands held up, then turned and walked toward them. That’s when she said an officer, who was standing 10 feet away, fired two shots in rapid succession.
He collapsed to the ground and rolled onto his back, where he lay bleeding, she said in her claim. About 30 seconds later, the same officer fired another shot at him. Then about 15 seconds later, a second officer, who was armed with a shotgun, fired the fourth shot at Noble as he remained on the ground.

no ambiguity there - suicide by cop.

i feel bad for his family and the police who were forced to shoot him.

go to 3 minute mark;

[video=youtube;Bxw7xd5vlmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxw7xd5vlmY[/video]

Well umm how ya gonna call that one? Its cop against dead guy. I cant call it cuz am from uk n guns arent issued as standard arms to all officers. Only tactical teams n armed response units.
N then when someone gets shot. We get pretty much what you get. But not as big scale as you guys. Plus guns arent carried by civilians here not legally anyhows.
I just hope this young mans family and the cops and their families too. Can bring about peace in such a very troubled world.. #Alllivesmatter

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

i don't blame the officer one bit, the guy wasn't doing what he was repeatedly told to do

Horrific new video shows police shooting dead an unarmed California teen, 19, as he lay on the ground

Shocking new video has emerged showing California police shooting dead a 19-year-old man as he lay on the ground.

Cellphone footage shows Dylan Noble being gunned down by cops at a Fresno gas station after they pulled him over for speeding on June 24.
Police officers are heard yelling at the 19-year-old to 'let us see what you got' and 'keep your hands up' before one opens fire.

They are swiftly joined by two more cops who aim their guns at Noble who is lying bleeding on the ground.

An officer was heard to warn him again to raise his hands before a second shot was fired.

FBI investigating after cellphone video shows police fatally shooting unarmed man in Fresno

Cellphone video showing Fresno police officers shooting an unarmed 19-year-old man lying on the ground at a gas station has sparked protests and prompted the FBI to launch an investigation.

The FBI and the U.S. attorney general’s office have agreed to investigate the shooting and will have access to all evidence, Dyer said. The chief said he didn’t want the public to think the police department isn’t “fair and objective” in its handling of the investigation and that FBI oversight would provide more transparency.

At least one use-of-force expert said the chief’s statement that the shooting sequence lasted more than 2 minutes was odd.

“That would be highly unusual. It’s usually no more than five to 20 seconds between the first and last shot,” said Charles "Sid" Heal, a former Los Angeles County sheriff's commander.

In cases where lethal force was used, “each and every shot must be justified as protecting the public or officers,” Heal said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fresno-dylan-noble-body-camera-20160711-snap-story.html
In a claim filed Monday, Veronica Nelson said her son, Dylan Noble, was stopped on June 25 by officers, who already had their guns drawn. He walked away from officers with his hands held up, then turned and walked toward them. That’s when she said an officer, who was standing 10 feet away, fired two shots in rapid succession.
He collapsed to the ground and rolled onto his back, where he lay bleeding, she said in her claim. About 30 seconds later, the same officer fired another shot at him. Then about 15 seconds later, a second officer, who was armed with a shotgun, fired the fourth shot at Noble as he remained on the ground.

After 2 shots, driver moves for 14 sec: rolls from stomach onto his back, moves both hands & arms at/close to waistband.
After 3rd shot, for 16 additional sec's, driver con'ts moving like ^.

After initial shots, he made voluntary movements ~30 sec. Imo, as if reaching for something hidden under his shirt, close to waistband.

On this ^ vid,
2m:40s ............. LEO starts car siren (presumably lights too, but I can't see)
3m:~04-07s .......LEO draws gun, holds at steering wheel for multiple seconds
3m:20s .............. pickup driver turns into gas station
3m:23-24s......... LEO turns into gas station
3m:33-36s ........ LEO orders driver to turn off truck, get your hands out the window, both hands out window, multiple times.
3m:47-48 ...........LEO says, No, I didn't tell you to get out.
3m:50s-to 4:44 .. LEO repeat orders about showing hands multiple times
4m:44s *..............LEO orders him to get on ground, while driver to side & front of driver door, ~__ ft? then walks away from LE, hands hidden
4m:57s ............. driver turns around walks toward LEO, who orders him to show hands, to get on ground, then to stop
5m:08s .............. driver still does not show both hands or get on grounds, but walks toward LEO
5m:08 sec .......... LEO says drop whatever you have in your hand, repeats
5m:15s ............. LEO fires first 2 shots
5m:18-19s..........driver falls on stomach to ground
5m:~22-23s....... driver rolls onto his back
5m:24-28s .........driver moves both arms & hands ~ his stomach - imo reaching under shirt around waistband area
5m:28-29s..........LEOs continue giving orders to get hands up, show us your hands, etc.
5m:29s ..............LEO fires third shot
(5m: 30-44 ........LEOs continue giving orders to get hands up, show us your hands, etc., warns about another shot
5m:44s.............LEO (#2?) fires fourth shot.

* ^ driver is out of vid frame for part of time.

{{ETA: per dailymail link ^ w cellphone vid, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ad-unarmed-California-teen-19-lay-ground.html, an LEO fired 2 shots, then other LEO # 2 fired a/third shot, then LEO #3 fired a/fourth shot.
Diff from what I read/interpreted from vid at first/OP's link, but not sure. Anyone?}}

Yeah, he kept walking toward them and hiding one of his hands after repeated warnings. The cops even said "You're gonna get shot!" and he kept coming.

I hope body cams are mandated in every LE department in the US for this reason exactly.

no sympathy from me whatsoever, i counted 12-15 times the officer told him to put both his hands up, and then he hides one hand behind his back

no sympathy from me whatsoever, i counted 12-15 times the officer told him to put both his hands up, and then he hides one hand behind his back

It seems to me like he wanted them to shoot. What other reason could he have for not putting the other hand up? I can see where LE thought he may have had a weapon behind his back. Not sure about the shots fired after the initial two. I cannot bring myself to watch that part. IMO, the officers showed a lot of restraint initially before shooting.

It seems to me like he wanted them to shoot. What other reason could he have for not putting the other hand up? I can see where LE thought he may have had a weapon behind his back. Not sure about the shots fired after the initial two. I cannot bring myself to watch that part. IMO, the officers showed a lot of restraint initially before shooting.

UBM

Those subsequent shots bother me - unable to see the need for those shots. Would DN have lived if only shot the first 2 times?

No weapon was seen, but there was a threat that a weapon could be there. After the first 2 shots - still no weapon is seen. A person cannot lie still when shot - even if ordered to do so by LE. The threat was neutralized - they certainly had to keep their eyes on him while he was still moving - but not continue to shoot. Imo, LE cannot continue to shoot after disabling someone like that.

Sorry, not going to buy that every person continues to be a threat after they have been shot twice.

UBM

Those subsequent shots bother me - unable to see the need for those shots. Would DN have lived if only shot the first 2 times?

No weapon was seen, but there was a threat that a weapon could be there. After the first 2 shots - still no weapon is seen. A person cannot lie still when shot - even if ordered to do so by LE. The threat was neutralized - they certainly had to keep their eyes on him while he was still moving - but not continue to shoot. Imo, LE cannot continue to shoot after disabling someone like that.

Sorry, not going to buy that every person continues to be a threat after they have been shot twice.

Stop withering in pain or I’m going to have to shoot you again. :facepalm: Failing to show your hands to a cop should not be a capital offense. There could be all kinds of reasons for a suspect not to comply with the cops orders. They could be deaf, they could be drunk, they could be too mentally incompetent to comply, or maybe they just don’t want to. None of those should be a valid reason to execute them without a trial.

If the cops are those great heros that some contend they are, then they should act like it, and start accepting some personl risk, rather then just violating peoples right to due process, by killing them first.

Stop withering in pain or I’m going to have to shoot you again. :facepalm: Failing to show your hands to a cop should not be a capital offense. There could be all kinds of reasons for a suspect not to comply with the cops orders. They could be deaf, they could be drunk, they could be too mentally incompetent to comply, or maybe they just don’t want to. None of those should be a valid reason to execute them without a trial.

If the cops are those great heros that some contend they are, then they should act like it, and start accepting some personl risk, rather then just violating peoples right to due process, by killing them first.

I think a lot of times people think it is selfish for the officer to want to protect his own life, and perhaps it is, but one must remember that once an officer has been neutralized, the threat to the general public increases, at least in the short term. Not only is the officer unable to protect nearby citizens when he is down, a perpetrator who has shot a cop may enter a "nothing to lose" mentality wherein he sees no reason not to start shooting innocent bystanders, as he is already probably going to go to jail for a long time.

That being said, I think it's possible that police training has not changed with the times. In the past, it took longer for back-up to arrive, so the officer had to make more difficult, life-or-death decisions on his own in the interim. Also, in the past, people who resisted arrest or simple verbal requests from police were probably pretty likely to be armed or have a criminal history. Nowadays, even average, law-abiding citizens are more confrontational due to social media encouragement and society's increasing valuation of aggressiveness over passiveness. People are simply more likely to argue than they were 20-30 years ago. Police training probably needs to change to reflect the fact that yes, the average citizen IS going to argue with you. It is now the norm rather than the exception. I myself am not an argumentative person, but I have seen that I am definitely in the minority!

So simple.

Also, it probably depends upon the distance, but are police officers always 100% SURE when they have hit someone? I'm not even particularly clever, but if someone were shooting at ME and I knew their sole focus was to neutralize me as a threat, I'd probably hit the dirt and ACT like I was shot, even if I wasn't. Then if I were armed, I could "play dead" (or mortally wounded) until the person got close enough for me to shoot them.

He Chose his path. He was warned, he said he hated his life and kept his hands behind his back and did not listen to instructions. Suicide by cop so family can sue. IMO he was 'making a statement'.

I think a lot of times people think it is selfish for the officer to want to protect his own life, and perhaps it is, but one must remember that once an officer has been neutralized, the threat to the general public increases, at least in the short term. Not only is the officer unable to protect nearby citizens when he is down, a perpetrator who has shot a cop may enter a "nothing to lose" mentality wherein he sees no reason not to start shooting innocent bystanders, as he is already probably going to go to jail for a long time.

Shooting first and asking questions later is not protecting the public. It is as you said, selfish. The suspect was not going to start shooting innocent bystanders. He didn’t even have a gun. So he couldn’t shoot anybody. The only way an innocent bystander could have been shot in this incident was from stray bullets fired by the cops. This type of conduct does not protect the public. It only endangers the public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back