GUILTY CA - Rachel Garta for child endangerment, San Diego, 2005

CaliMom

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
SAN DIEGO -- Police arrested a San Diego woman after she allegedly put her 2-year-old son in front of a freight train and, later, in front of a Trolley Tuesday evening.

Investigators said Rachel Garta, 22, pushed the boy onto tracks near Front Street and Harbor Drive, NBC 7/39 reported.

Witnesses said the boy stood on the tracks as a freight train approached at about 7:30 p.m. The conductor saw the boy and hit the emergency brakes, stopping the train before it hit the child.

At that point, witnesses said, a Trolley security guard yelled at the woman and boy to get off the tracks.

Police said the woman then pushed the boy onto the other tracks, where a Trolley was approaching, NBC 7/39 reported. The Trolley operator also stopped in time, and a Trolley security officer pulled the boy off the tracks.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5180041/detail.html

I am sick over this. WHAT makes a Mother do this to a child and WHEN will it END?

That poor little guy, man I just don't understand people. Just give the kids to someone who would want them. Geez why must people be like this, it is so sad.

Mindi,

I agree. If you don't want your children, give them to someone who will take care of them, and love them, and give them a good life. Don't KILL them, or in this case, try to. :banghead:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

I don't understand... how can someone do this...:banghead: it seems to NEVER END!!!!

you guys are right, if they don't want the child, give them to someone who does.. there are people out there that do what children to love...

Why wasn't an investigation done the first time she put the boy in front of the trolley?

I just heard the story on tv. What the H*LL is wrong with her!! She tried this twice!! I agree, she could have taken/given him to someone if the thought she was going to hurt him. That poor little boy, I'm sure he didn't know what she was trying to do. They need to put that beeyotch UNDER the jail. I just don't understand it, never could, never will. :furious:

I really can't understand any of these women who hurt or try to hurt their kids.

So many people can't have kids and would love the opportunity to become a parent to one of these little darlings whose mothers don't even care if they live or die.

mysteriew said:
Why wasn't an investigation done the first time she put the boy in front of the trolley?

I think because it happened on the same day, one right after the other. The boy was put on the train tracks, the train stopped then a trolley was coming and she put him in front of the trolley, luckily, they both stopped in time. Sick people man.

If i was on that train when she tried to do it the first time I would have jumped off and called the police and not let her try it again.

You are so right SadieMae he probably had no idea what was going on which makes me even more sad. This little guy putting all of his trust into her and she just shoves him in front of a train and he just like ok mommy.

These people need some kind of reality check, like me smacking the heck out of her on a daily basis.

jodieo said:
I really can't understand any of these women who hurt or try to hurt their kids.

So many people can't have kids and would love the opportunity to become a parent to one of these little darlings whose mothers don't even care if they live or die.

I don't understand this either and it makes me absolutely furious. :furious: Poor little guy was probably confused and had no idea that his mother was trying to harm him. Children are so innocent and it's the parent's responsibility to protect them, NOT HURT THEM!!!!!

You're right, there are so many people in this world that would give just about anything to have a child to love and give a good home to. I personally know two couples that can't have children and would just about sell their souls to the devil to have a child.

This b*tch needs to be put under the jail. :furious:

At least the boy is unharmed- and will go into foster care or at least not be under her care anymore.

I really doubt she was a loving mother to him before this. JMHO

Those train/trolley drivers were really alert. Thank goodness they stopped in time. They deserve recognition for being on the ball. I know that is their job, but still they both saved that boy's life.

They must have updated the story at the first link, because it seems they are now giving a different version of this. If that's true, and she really was disoriented (and standing holding her son in front of the first train), then I'm not sure she did this on purpose.

Cypros said:
Those train/trolley drivers were really alert. Thank goodness they stopped in time. They deserve recognition for being on the ball. I know that is their job, but still they both saved that boy's life.

I agree, they were just doing their job- but in the process, they saved a child's life by remaining alert and on the ball. And they took quick, correct action on what they saw.

The first stories got the woman's name wrong, and said that she pushed the kid in front of the train intentionally.

26th Oct 2005:

Rachel Gaeta, 22, initially was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following Tuesday night's incident near the San Diego Convention Center...

Investigators now believe Gaeta was not trying to harm her son, but instead was recklessly attempting -- while in an apparently "disoriented" state -- to "catch an eastbound train," San Diego Poice Department Capt. Guy Swanger said...

Authorities' initial belief that Gaeta had attempted to kill her son evidently stemmed from miscommunication between the trolley employees and patrol officers, the captain said.

While talking to police, Gaeta seemed confused and kept insisting she had to catch a train, according to Swanger.

http://www.10news.com/news/police-mom-disoriented-carried-child-into-path-of-trolley

27th October 2005:

Police said yesterday they had no evidence that a disoriented young mother deliberately pushed her 2-year-old son into the path of oncoming trains at a San Diego Trolley station Tuesday night.

"We believe that it wasn't intentional," said police Capt. Guy Swanger....

Rachel Gaeta, 22, of La Mesa was being held without bail at the Las Colinas women's jail. She was taken there after a psychiatric evaluation by County Mental Health...

Initial reports Tuesday night indicated that Gaeta pushed her child onto the tracks and into the path of two different trolleys. So far, police have no information to support that, Swanger said.

"We have no information, no evidence that the child was shoved out onto the tracks," he said. "We've not determined the cause of why she acted in this way."

http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/metro/20051027-9999-6m27tracks.html

Oct 29th, 2005:

A La Mesa woman accused of allowing her 2-year-old son to play on the trolley tracks in the path of oncoming trains pleaded not guilty yesterday to two counts of child abuse.

Rachel Gaeta, 22, was arrested Tuesday and later booked into the Las Colinas Detention Facility. If convicted of the felony charges she could be sentenced to prison for up to seven years and four months.

Rachel Gaeta
gaeta280.jpg
http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/metro/20051029-9999-7m29gaeta.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member