Canada - Chantel Gillade, 28, found in a downtown alley, Vancouver, 1995

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.cknw.com/2016/06/09/vpd-...in-elderly-assaults-and-attempted-abductions/
They are looking for tips in the 1995 death of 28-year-old Chantel Gillade, who was found in a alley downtown.

Police say she was found wrapped in a blue tarp and a maroon-coloured blanket.

Gillade was last seen getting into a black pick-up truck with a canopy, believed to have been a 1989 Chevrolet.

Police say it had tinted windows and a distinctive red stripe painted on the sides of the canopy

http://www.vpdcoldcases.ca/chantel-gillade/

profile-chantal-gillade.png
Chantel GILLADE
Homicide
Sep. 1, 1995

Chantel Gillade was born Robert Gillade in 1967, and raised in the Niagara Falls region in Ontario. Most of us can only imagine what she would have faced as she dealt with her identity struggles, and the impact it would have on her life – particularly without any of the support systems in place today.

As a teenager, Chantel began using drugs, and by age 20, she had left home. Eight years later, her battered body would be found in a Vancouver alley, wrapped in a blue tarp and a maroon-coloured blanket.

When Chantel first came into contact with Vancouver Police in January of 1988, she was working in the sex trade, and identifying as a woman. Officers had a number of interactions with her over the next seven years in relation to sex work. During those years, Chantel lived in a number of apartments in the West End and Granville Mall area.

According to another sex worker, Chantel was picked up about 4:00 a.m. on September 1, 1995, at Davie and Seymour. The man was driving a black pick-up truck with a canopy, believed to have been a 1989 Chevrolet, with tinted windows and a distinctive red stripe painted on the side of the canopy.

Construction workers arriving at their worksite behind 826 Homer Street discovered her body a few hours later, around 7:20 a.m.

At the time of her death, Chantel was going through gender reassignment surgery. She was 5’11” and about 150 pounds, and was last seen wearing a black, double-breasted blazer, a black mini-skirt, black stockings and black heels.

No one wants to live in a world where people can kill without consequence. Chantel deserves justice. She was brutally murdered, and her body tossed away in an alley like trash. Someone knows what happened to her and who is responsible. Help us catch a killer.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2975998/cold-case-homicide-of-chantel-gillade-in-vancouver/
At the time of her murder, Chantel, who was born Robert was going through gender re-assignment surgery. She was known to police and worked in Vancouver’s sex trade industry, identifying as a woman.

Chantel’s life was taken away from her in 1995, eight years after she left her hometown in Ontario.
Another sex trade worker says Chantel was picked up at around 4 a.m. on Sept. 1, 1995, at Davie and Seymour. Later that morning her body was discovered at a construction worksite behind 826 Homer Street.
The man was driving a black pickup truck, believed to have been a 1989 Chevrolet, with tinted windows and a distinctive red stripe painted on the side of the canopy.

“The driver of the vehicle was described as a white male in his early 40s, stocky build also called heavy set with a double chin. He had dark brown collar lengthened hair with a receding hairline,” said the Vancouver Police department’s former spokesperson Anne Drennan.
rbbm.

Makes you ask the question if he found out that Chantel was trans-gendered and took it poorly. It mentions she was brutally murdered, which makes you think a lot of anger was involved. A non-stable john would easily get into a rage if he found out she wasn't born a female. Looking at the location of the crime scene and the time of the morning, makes me think he was more than familiar with the construction site. The tarp and blanket probably were just what was floating around in the back of his truck and he used these materials to make it appear it was just junk being thrown out.

Makes you ask the question if he found out that Chantel was trans-gendered and took it poorly. It mentions she was brutally murdered, which makes you think a lot of anger was involved. A non-stable john would easily get into a rage if he found out she wasn't born a female. Looking at the location of the crime scene and the time of the morning, makes me think he was more than familiar with the construction site. The tarp and blanket probably were just what was floating around in the back of his truck and he used these materials to make it appear it was just junk being thrown out.
Welcome to Ws My3LilKittens, thanks for " bumping " these cold cases!

Thinking of posting this case on the potential victims of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur thread.

Glad to be here! I am here in Canada and thought I might as well start with some Canadian Cold Cases!

I just looked over the McArthur files and of interest:

He was a landscaper (so would have been familiar with a construction site as well as have a tarp on hand in the truck).
His victims were men from the gay community.
He has known to have been a traveling salesman at one time.

However, they are saying he is linked to areas throughout Ontario? Is there anything pointing to him having been in Vancouver, BC around this time?

This my first thought as well. Seems like someone found out and took it too far. So sad for her and so many trans victims of violence.

This my first thought as well. Seems like someone found out and took it too far. So sad for her and so many trans victims of violence.
Welcome to Ws BLDYMRY!

I realize how old this thread is but I did some recent digging before finding this thread...

Never heard of this case but I was looking at missing, unidentified & cold cases in the Vancouver and Victoria Island area. Many of which are in fact, men. Interestingly enough, there is one case that stood out to me and I too, thought of BM.

From what I can recall, BM was a travelling salesman who worked for a company that sold socks. Macgregor brand IRCC. Please inform me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, this one particular case, the unidentified/missing/cold case person happened to be wearing Macgregor brand socks apparently. Immediately I thought of BM and also found it odd, the number of missing, unidentified men in that area of B.C all within the late 80's early 90's time frame. Now I see this case and others mentioning the salesman aspect and makes me wonder.

Also kind of reminds me of the LISK, that one trans victim. I will have to backtrack and find my links/sources to add here just in case it's something worthwhile.

I realize how old this thread is but I did some recent digging before finding this thread...

Never heard of this case but I was looking at missing, unidentified & cold cases in the Vancouver and Victoria Island area. Many of which are in fact, men. Interestingly enough, there is one case that stood out to me and I too, thought of BM.

From what I can recall, BM was a travelling salesman who worked for a company that sold socks. Macgregor brand IRCC. Please inform me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, this one particular case, the unidentified/missing/cold case person happened to be wearing Macgregor brand socks apparently. Immediately I thought of BM and also found it odd, the number of missing, unidentified men in that area of B.C all within the late 80's early 90's time frame. Now I see this case and others mentioning the salesman aspect and makes me wonder.

Also kind of reminds me of the LISK, that one trans victim. I will have to backtrack and find my links/sources to add here just in case it's something worthwhile.
Nice to'' see '' you whiterhino, thanks for bumping this case!

GILLADE – Crime Scene / Case Photos | Vancouver Police Department Cold Cases
Click to view larger. New photos are added regularly - please check back often.

gillade-media-3.jpg

« Back

Hey @dotr good to "see" you!

Here's a link to an article outlining some of the unidentified cases around Vancouver:
Can you help RCMP solve the mystery of these unidentified human remains?

The man I was referring to is listed as "Parksville" found November 5th, 1992. He was wearing a large McGregor brand sweatshirt (not socks as I'd thought). Case #
1992-08929 or # 1992-0112-0057 according to the interactive map.

I'm going to have to dig around but I'm certain this McGregor company is the one that BM worked for. I realize this really isn't related to Chantels' case but you never know.

Also cannot help but see the similarity between the pickup truck and the one from the BC murders of CD, LF & LD. Again, most likely NOT related but there is another case of a person found and red paint chips are a crucial part of the evidence. Could the red stripe on the truck described have been missing some paint?

Again, slightly off topic but found it!

How Bruce McArthur went from small-town sock salesman to accused serial killer
"As of 1993, he was working as a salesman for McGregor Hosiery and Stanfields, placing socks and underwear in Ontario department and clothing stores."

The year/date doesn't gel with the date of the unidentified since their remains were discovered in 1992. Someone professional probably already ran this down but still, damn.

However... (from same article) "Jo-Ann Boyd’s husband, Ross, worked for several years with McArthur. She believes McArthur worked in McGregor’s northern territory, a job that would have put him on the road, criss-crossing between Ontario towns, for most of his working days."

It's a reach but anything is possible and anyone can lie, especially an SK.

Hi there,
When I was reading, the thought that came into my head was that insulated tarps are used by vegetable farmers to insulate their root veggies for the winter. It seems that tarp was homemade which is what people without much money would do. Construction generally brings in more money so people can buy proper tarps. Maybe this person picked it up from a homeless person. Perhaps homeless people in the area know this truck.
Totally my opinion, but I was looking at BM and it seems like he was a pretty organized person who would not leave a tarp like this in his truck or a body dump. It seems to me like a different killer. But... if it was him, perhaps they had a connection from before Ms. Gillade moved to BC. I am just throwing things out there in case something dings.

Hi there,
When I was reading, the thought that came into my head was that insulated tarps are used by vegetable farmers to insulate their root veggies for the winter. It seems that tarp was homemade which is what people without much money would do. Construction generally brings in more money so people can buy proper tarps. Maybe this person picked it up from a homeless person. Perhaps homeless people in the area know this truck.
Totally my opinion, but I was looking at BM and it seems like he was a pretty organized person who would not leave a tarp like this in his truck or a body dump. It seems to me like a different killer. But... if it was him, perhaps they had a connection from before Ms. Gillade moved to BC. I am just throwing things out there in case something dings.
Welcome to Ws Shcreen!
What is "an insulated tarp"?
What could a red stripe on a truck canopy suggest?
Although this does not seem like a crime/victim that would be of interest to Bruce M. it is possible as you suggest, that he knew Chantel from when she lived in Ontario. Did she know something about BA and for that she was permanently silenced ?

Somebody has got to know the identity of the chubby with receding brown haired guy, who drove a black pickup truck, possibly a 1989 Chevrolet with a custom made red stripe on its canopy and tinted windows. imo, speculation.
Crime Stoppers: Cold case homicide of Chantel Gillade in Vancouver
''Another sex trade worker says Chantel was picked up at around 4 a.m. on Sept. 1, 1995, at Davie and Seymour. Later that morning her body was discovered at a construction worksite behind 826 Homer Street.

The man was driving a black pickup truck, believed to have been a 1989 Chevrolet, with tinted windows and a distinctive red stripe painted on the side of the canopy.''

“The driver of the vehicle was described as a white male in his early 40s, stocky build also called heavy set with a double chin. He had dark brown collar lengthened hair with a receding hairline,” said the Vancouver Police department’s former spokesperson Anne Drennan.''

Welcome to Ws Shcreen!
What is "an insulated tarp"?
What could a red stripe on a truck canopy suggest?
Although this does not seem like a crime/victim that would be of interest to Bruce M. it is possible as you suggest, that he knew Chantel from when she lived in Ontario. Did she know something about BA and for that she was permanently silenced ?

Somebody has got to know the identity of the chubby with receding brown haired guy, who drove a black pickup truck, possibly a 1989 Chevrolet with a custom made red stripe on its canopy and tinted windows. imo, speculation.
Crime Stoppers: Cold case homicide of Chantel Gillade in Vancouver
''Another sex trade worker says Chantel was picked up at around 4 a.m. on Sept. 1, 1995, at Davie and Seymour. Later that morning her body was discovered at a construction worksite behind 826 Homer Street.

The man was driving a black pickup truck, believed to have been a 1989 Chevrolet, with tinted windows and a distinctive red stripe painted on the side of the canopy.''

“The driver of the vehicle was described as a white male in his early 40s, stocky build also called heavy set with a double chin. He had dark brown collar lengthened hair with a receding hairline,” said the Vancouver Police department’s former spokesperson Anne Drennan.''

An insulated tarp is what it seems like Chantal was found in. A tarp attached to a blanket could be used as an insulated tarp. Current insulated tarps are thick. Insulated tarps now are made for concrete curing where you need the temperature to be kept at a certain level overnight or for a few days. Another use is storing veggies. It seems like someone went to alot of work to make the tarp/blanket and so it must have had some sort of use other than its final use.
As for the red stripe, what if it was a logo or part of a fleet or someone just liked those colours. I am thinking the police looked at various construction businesses, but maybe not vegetable and fruit farms. Maybe not farmer's markets.
I wonder if the truck was from out of town and that is why no one came forward with an identification. If, perhaps they were from northern BC or from inland, then the news and the people who recognize the truck would not be in the same place.
I also wonder if it is related to that truck or if it was maybe something more to do with where Chantal lived. Did she live on the street where a tarp such as that one would be very important for survival? They don't say in the news items where she lived.

@dotr are there any search resources or databases other than case details that we can search? any tips would be very much appreciated

@dotr are there any search resources or databases other than case details that we can search? any tips would be very much appreciated
If you are looking for more details about Chantel, not sure where to direct you other than the VPD report posted up thread.
Other than that, there are a number of threads here with more information/links ect. concerning murdered/missing trans persons.

I'm curious about this "insulated tarp" idea. From what I read, I just saw tarp as in pain old basic blue woven plastic type made in "Anywhere U.S.A".

Also described was a maroon blanket. Never saw anything about the brand, make, style of blanket etc. Also nothing about whether or not forensic evidence was taken from the blanket. There HAS to be something on it, even just the brand tag would be something. Also, not to be disrespectful or crude but surely there must have been some "other" evidence, no? Even saliva or under fingernails.

From that photo, I say that Chantel would "pass" (meaning, easily fool people) in many situations, especially if it were a brief encounter, if you get the drift. At 4 a.m, I could see how someone wouldn't notice right away and then... yeah. Wonder if Chantel had a habit of tricking men or lying just to make some fast money?

1694446621579.png
Sept 10 2023 Dani Bujold
1694446441085.png
''Around 4:00 a.m. on Friday, September 1st, 1995, Chantel was picked up by a client at the intersection of Davie and Seymour. When Chantel entered the vehicle she was wearing a black, double-breasted blazer, a black mini skirt, black stockings and black heels. The unidentified man was reported to be driving a black pickup truck with a canopy. The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) believes that the vehicle was a 1989 Chevy with a distinctive red stripe along the side of the canopy and tinted windows.''

“The driver of the vehicle was described as a white male in his early 40s, stocky build also called heavy set with a double chin. He had dark brown collar-length hair with a receding hairline,” said Anne Drennan, a spokesperson for the VPD.
At roughly 7:20 a.m. construction workers arrived at a demolition site behind 826 Homme Street, where they discovered the body of Chantel Gillade. The remains were wrapped in a blue nylon tarp and a maroon-coloured blanket. Neither her purse nor her blazer were found with the remains.
“We believe the victim was murdered somewhere in the West End or downtown area,” Sgt. Bob Cooper explained in 1995.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back