Brazil - Arrests of terrorists aligned with ISIS in planning 2016 Olympic Games attacks

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Arrests of alleged terrorists aligned with ISIS reportedly planning attacks against U.S, UK, French and Israeli athletes at the Rio Olympics.

"Brazil's federal police today arrested 10 people and smashed a network allied to ISIS that was preparing 'acts of terrorism' at next month's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

President Michel Temer has called an emergency cabinet meeting and Justice Minister Alexandre de Moraes said the operation spanned nine states across Brazil, although the arrests were made in the southern states of Sao Paulo and Parana.

A court in Parana said there were indications the group was planning to use weapons to launch attacks similar to the Paris atrocities in November last year.

Earlier this month Mr Moraes said a jihadist attack in Rio de Janeiro during the Olympics was a 'possibility' but 'not a probability'."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...letes-Olympics-targeting-UK-French-teams.html

I'm very concerned about the Olympic Games as Brasil is having a severe economic crisis that is so bad they cannot afford toilet paper in police stations I just hope the athletes and spectators are kept safe and there are no attacks.

Arrests of alleged terrorists aligned with ISIS reportedly planning attacks against U.S, UK, French and Israeli athletes at the Rio Olympics.

"Brazil's federal police today arrested 10 people and smashed a network allied to ISIS that was preparing 'acts of terrorism' at next month's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

President Michel Temer has called an emergency cabinet meeting and Justice Minister Alexandre de Moraes said the operation spanned nine states across Brazil, although the arrests were made in the southern states of Sao Paulo and Parana.

A court in Parana said there were indications the group was planning to use weapons to launch attacks similar to the Paris atrocities in November last year.

Earlier this month Mr Moraes said a jihadist attack in Rio de Janeiro during the Olympics was a 'possibility' but 'not a probability'."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...letes-Olympics-targeting-UK-French-teams.html

I'm very concerned about the Olympic Games as Brasil is having a severe economic crisis that is so bad they cannot afford toilet paper in police stations I just hope the athletes and spectators are kept safe and there are no attacks.

1972 Munich Olympics all over again where they murdered the whole 11 Israeli Olympic team:notgood:. Scary world we live in now with the commonplace culture of guns and violence!

1972 Munich Olympics all over again where they murdered the whole 11 Israeli Olympic team:notgood:. Scary world we live in now with the commonplace culture of guns and violence!

That was a terrible tragedy I hope and pray it is not repeated. Hopefully other countries are providing resources to help Brasil protect all the athletes and spectators. Brasil has enough problems with the zika virus and terrible economic problems without a terrorist attack on top of that.

We are living in very scary times I'm just as concerned now as I was for a long time after 9/11. I hate worrying I feel like I'm letting the terrorists win but all these attacks are so distressing and you just think it could easily be you or your loved ones attacked.

Brazil Arrests 10 Suspected of Plotting Attacks Timed for Olympics

July 21, 2016
5:07 pm ET

SÃO PAULO—Brazil’s federal police arrested 10 Brazilians they said were linked to Islamic State and planning terrorist acts during the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Justice Minister Alexandre de Moraes, who oversees the federal police, described the suspects as poorly organized and said most of them knew each other only through online messaging. The target of their alleged attacks wasn’t clear, he said Thursday, adding, “It was an amateur cell without any planned preparation.”

The arrests come just two weeks ahead of the opening ceremonies amid questions over Brazil’s security preparations for the Games. Officials waited until just five weeks before the Games begin to award a contract for hiring and training thousands of private security workers to screen for weapons outside Olympic venues, and many of those jobs are going to people with no security experience and scant training.

Mr. de Moraes said the suspects were members of a terrorist cell called “Defenders of Shariah,” which had communicated via the encrypted messaging services WhatsApp and Telegram. He said the suspects used those platforms to exchange comments about Islamic State and cheer the recent attacks in France and Orlando, Fla. The suspects had begun engaging in “preparatory acts” for an attack, Mr. de Moraes said.

The suspects, mostly between 20 and 40 years old, had all adopted Arab names as online aliases, said federal Judge Marcos Josegrei da Silva, who ordered the arrests. He didn’t believe any of them were of Middle Eastern heritage, he said at a Thursday afternoon press conference in the southern city of Curitiba.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj....nning-terror-attack-1469114556?client=safari#

I am so worried about this upcoming Olympic Games.

I am so worried about this upcoming Olympic Games.

I am encouraged though, that they discovered and ferreted these guys out two weeks prior to the Olympics...

SCARY

hat Rio Looks Like on the Eve of the Olympics
July 22, 2016 12:40 pm

The 2016 Summer Olympics are scheduled to kick off in Rio de Janeiro in two weeks. The Games will undoubtedly draw many people, both in person and via broadcasts. But while the events themselves are the attraction, a new photo series from the Associated Press shows the devastating reality of what’s happening just beyond the Olympic Village in Rio’s violent, gang-dominated slums.

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-what-rio-looks-like-on-the-eve-of-the-olympics-1784136043

From the Gizmodo link.

The 2016 Olympics themselves have already been a giant cluster****, and the Games haven’t even started: Doping scandals (plural), sewage problems, murdered mascots, Zika, protests, financial emergencies, creepy surveillance, and bad infrastructure, to name a few.

jvmlitpmfhztkfwsqh4m.jpg

“A drug gang leader poses for a photo in a slum in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He told Associated Press journalists that drug dealers win the hearts and minds of locals by paying for food and medicine, providing a lifeline for many living in crushing poverty.”

fixif8lpufk6ksos2xsr.jpg

“A police officer patrols among residents during an operation against drug traffickers at the ‘pacified’ Jacarezinho slum in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.”

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_800/fixif8lpufk6ksos2xsr.jpg
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_800/jvmlitpmfhztkfwsqh4m.jpg

Hey Blue 🙂

Should I have posted the full article?

Thanks

Hey Blue ��

Should I have posted the full article?

Thanks

No (10% rule and all) but I hope everyone reads it!

I wanted to share the pictures because they show how dire and scary life is in Rio.

"American authorities have aided the training of Brazilian anti-terrorism units, as they prepare for the possibility of chemical and biological attacks, particularly on soft targets away from heavily monitored Olympic locations, such as restaurants, nightclubs and shopping malls. Meanwhile, posts by IS in Portuguese calling for would-be attackers to take inspiration from 1972 Munich attacks have also raised concern of late.

In addition, last month, Brazilian police arrested 12 people who were suspected of planning terrorist acts during the Rio Olympics, with the group inspired by ISIS and mainly organised online, according to reports.

It is also understood that Brazilian officials have only started to take the potential for a terrorist threat seriously in recent months, with worries over a lack of resources and preparation of security ahead of the 2016 Games."

http://www.the42.ie/serious-terrorist-threat-rio-olympics-2909624-Aug2016/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back