Match! PA - Lima, WhtMale 20-30, 566UMPA, Kool cigs, necklace w/charms, Dec'78 - Kevin Alvin Jude Carroll

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
I didn't see this guy on NamUs at all, but I did find him on DoeNet.

DoeNet: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/566umpa.html

CYIM: http://canyouidentifyme.org/DelawarePennsylvaniaJohnDoeDecember1978

The Doe Network:
Case File 566UMPA
566UMPA.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim by Charlaine Michaelis
Unidentified White Male

• [*]The victim was discovered on December 13, 1978 in Ridley Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
    [*]Cause of Death: Six .25 caliber contact gunshot wounds on neck and trunk.

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: Late teens to early 20's
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 6'1/2''; 165-175 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes, dark wavy brown hair of moderate length. Freckles, left earlobe pierced, light brown birthmark on left lower abdomen.
    [*]Clothing: Light brown, loose knit sweater, tan trousers, brown leather belt, black socks, brown Oxford-style shoes with rubber soles. "Kool" cigarettes. No underwear.
    [*]Jewelry: Seiko windup watch stopped at 4:45, Monday 10th. Neck chain with silver horn and heart. Arrow shaped earring, left ear.
    [*]Fingerprints: 145910DO14135214DI18 / L 9 R/T 110 14
    [*]Other: Blood type: A.

Case History
The victim was located in Ridley Township, PA on December 13, 1978, partially immersed in creek.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Delaware County Medical Examiner
610-891-5953

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Source Information:
ID Wanted

I also found an article from 1988 (10 years after he was found) that mentions him! http://articles.philly.com/1988-07-...fied-bodies-murder-victims-shot-several-times

The man, who might have been a wayward seaman, has been unidentified since he was found shot to death at the edge of Crum Creek in Ridley Township nearly 10 years ago. The woman, probably a drifter, lost her life and her face to a shotgun blast in an Upper Darby playground in 1981, according to investigators.

Dr. Dimitri L. Contostavlos, the Delaware County medical examiner, said both bodies were kept refrigerated for years while investigators searched for clues about their identities. When the clues ran out, the bodies were interred in the potter's field off Route 352 in Lima.
[...]
The man found in Ridley Township and the woman killed in Upper Darby fit the pattern of the most-difficult bodies to trace: they were slain; they had no identification; and they almost certainly came from someplace else.
During spare moments, Hurst spreads the thin sheaf of documents that detail what little is known known about the man and woman. He wonders what more can be done to solve the mystery.
"They're beside my desk in a filing cabinet with a big 'unknown' label on it," he said. "But they're never forgotten."
The man's body was found Dec. 13, 1978. He had been shot several times and was partially submerged in the creek. He was white, 6 feet tall, weighed about 175 pounds and had dark brown hair and eyes. For a long time, investigators tried to link him with the merchant marine because he was wearing a watch purchased in a military store. He also wore an arrow-shaped earring and a necklace with a silver horn and heart.

I wonder how hard it would be to get him in NamUs...

I thought of Michael because the uid was wearing a horn.. and I am assuming its the little horn many Italians always worn. and I believe Michael is Italian.

NY - -NY- Michael James DeMaria, 28, Manhattan,October 14, 1976

NamUs #MP19729
Michael James DeMaria, Male, White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact October 14, 1976
Missing From New York, New York
Missing Age 28 Years

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Height 5' 11" (71 Inches)
Weight 180 lbs

Hair Color Brown

Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown

Last Known Location Map
Location New York, New York 10012
County New York County
Circumstances of Disappearance Missing from 1976, last seen leaving his building.

Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Scars on stomach area

Other distinctive physical characteristic
Dimples
Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Blue button shirt

Footwear
Blue shoes

Jewelry
Blue sapphire ring
Missing Person Case

does the woman mentioned have a thread? and do they believe the woman was together with this UID?

Finally in NamUs.

Unidentified Persons Case Report

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP66323 Male, White / Caucasian
Status Unidentified
Date Body Found December 13, 1978
Location Found Lima, Pennsylvania
Estimated Age Range 20-30 Years

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number --
ME/C Case Number 78-269
Demographics
Sex Male
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Possible First Name --
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-30
Estimated Year of Death1978
Estimated PMI12 Hours
Height 6' 0"-6' 2"(72-74 inches) , Estimated
Weight163-176 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found December 13, 1978
NamUs Case Created March 10, 2020
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found
Location Lima, Pennsylvania
County Delaware County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of Recovery Found on Dec. 13, 1978 laying face up in Crumb Creek. Estimated time of death between 24 hours to 3 days.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains --
Condition of Remains Recognizable face
Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description --
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description Brown mustache
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown
Eye Description --
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Scar on abdomen

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Wearing brown pants, brown sweater, brown shoes and tan socks.
On the Body

Jewelry
Silver necklace with 2 charms on it one being a heart and the other a silver Italian Horn.
On the Body

Jewelry
Wearing a Seiko Watch. Silver colored with gray face.
On the Body

Jewelry
Silver earrings in an arrow design in left ear
On the Body

Other
Black comb in back pocket with the name Imperial on it.
On the Body

Additional Case Info

Images & Documents

Facial/case ID
Uploaded: March 11, 2020
--
Exclusions

Contacts
Investigating Agencies

Ridley Township Police Department

Address 100 East MacDade Boulevard Folsom, Pennsylvania 19033
County Delaware County
Main Phone (610) 532-4000
General Email --
Website URL https://www.ridleytwp.org/

Agency Case Number78-269
Date Reported--
Edmund Kienzle, Sergeant

Case Contributors
Edmund Kienzle, Law Enforcement

Relationship to Case Law Enforcement
Relationship Description --
Ridley Township Police Department

Address 100 East MacDade Boulevard Folsom, Pennsylvania 19033
County Delaware County
Main Phone (610) 532-4000
General Email --
Website URL https://www.ridleytwp.org/

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Edward Hunsberger, missing from PA in 1978, definitely resembles the UID and the stats match up.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The main difference I notice is the eyebrows. The UID's are almost a unibrow. Maybe he groomed them though (or the PM photo was slightly touched up) because they look remarkably similar!! Even the middle of his mustache, right under his nose, looks like there's a gap or "bald spot" in the same location. Then I wonder where his wife might be, or what happened to her. o_O

Homicide Victim ID'd as Man Who Went Missing From Air Force Base in 1978
SBM
Investigators have identified the body of a 1978 Delaware County homicide victim as a man who went missing from a U.S. Air Force base 43 years ago.

SNIP

In December 2021, Ridley Township Detective Tim Kearney was contacted by A. Pearn of the Veteran Doe Network, an organization started by volunteer military family members to bring attention to missing veteran/active duty cases. Pearn told Detective Kearney the victim of the 1978 homicide might be a match for another entry in the NamUS system, a man named Kevin Alvin Jude Carroll.
#more at link

Found Deceased - NJ - Kevin Carroll, 18, Trenton, 21 Dec 1978 *found in 2022*

Congratulations on making a match, @apearn! :D Thank you for your dedication to giving Kevin his name back. May he now rest in peace.

Kevin-Carroll.jpg

Kevin Alvin Jude Carroll

RIDLEY TOWNSHIP – A man found murdered in Crum Creek more than 43 years ago has finally been identified as 18-year-old Kevin Alvin Jude Carroll, who went missing following his discharge from McGuire Air Force base near Trenton, N.J.

“For nearly half a century the family of Kevin Carroll has sought answers in connection with the death of their loved one,” said county District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer in a release. “We hope that today’s announcement brings a degree of closure.”

Carroll was found Dec. 13, 1978, in the Crum Creek area of Bullens Lane and Valley Road in the Woodlyn section of Ridley Township, according to a release from Ridley Police Captain James Dougherty.

Carroll had been discharged from the service in December 1978 and sent all of his belongings back home to Oregon, but never arrived there himself, according to the release.

The victim found in the creek had been shot multiple times and an extensive investigation was undertaken at the time, but his identity and that of any suspects remained undetermined. His information was uploaded to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

Ridley Township Detective Tim Kearney was contacted last December by Amelia Pearn of “Veteran Doe,” a volunteer organization that tries to bring attention to missing veteran and active duty cases through social media, as well as unidentified person cases where there is a possible military connection.

Pearn told Kearney that the unidentified victim might be a match for Carroll, who was another entry in the NamUs system. Kearney found there were many similarities after reviewing pictures of Carroll and the 1978 John Doe, and a multi-agency investigation conclusively identified them as one and same on Tuesday.

“The district attorney and the Ridley Township Police Department would like to extend their heartfelt thanks to Amelia Pearn for her work with the Veteran Doe Network, without which this identification would not have been made,” said Dougherty. “Thanks also to the representatives of NamUs who aided in the investigation, as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Personnel Records Center. Finally, thanks also to Detective Melissa Ferron of the Marion, Ore., Sherriff’s Department for her assistance with the identification.”

“To the families and friends of other missing persons, we hope that this case demonstrates that your loved one will not be forgotten,” said Stollsteimer. “Obviously, we would all like to know the circumstances of Mr. Carroll’s death. Today’s announcement is an important milestone, but it is the beginning, not the end. The public should rest assured that our law enforcement partners will continue to investigate and follow any leads that may develop.”
A cold case murder victim was identified Tuesday as a missing Oregon man

I can't stop wondering why it took 44 years to give Kevin his name back so his family could bring him home. :( Imo, it seems as though the investigations into his disappearance and death were mishandled somewhere along the way. Too many things don't add up. :confused:

Why wasn't he identified back in 1978? Kevin was found deceased within days, if not hours, of his disappearance (per DN: Estimated Date of Death: 12 to 72 hours prior). He was fully clothed, was wearing jewelry, and even had his cigarettes and comb in his possession. His face was fully recognizable, hence the post mortem photo below, and the ME had his blood type and a copy of his fingerprints. Why weren't his fingerprints in the UID profile compared against his military prints?

Ridley Township and McGuire Air Force Base are only about one hour driving distance from each other, albeit they are located in different states. Do investigators not check with neighboring states for John/Jane Does or whether a MP might have been hospitalized or incarcerated in those states? o_O

And what about NamUs? Isn't the system supposedly designed to alert NamUs reps to potential matches? I understand 1978's technology wasn't as advanced as it is today, but why didn't alarm bells ring once Kevin's MP and UID profiles were entered into NamUs? What happened to the supposed parameters that are set to automatically notify NamUs reps of potential matches? What is it that allowed his two profiles to lay dormant for two years? Why did it take a call from a concerned citizen to alert investigators of a potential match?

Kevin deserves justice for his life being taken so violently. I hope his family gets answer soon. It's equally important, imo, that his MP/UID cases receive detailed reviews by authorities. We must correct whatever mistakes were made and improve the apparent broken lines of communication that caused him to remain nameless for 44 years. I must admit Kevin's case and a couple of other recently identified persons cases have caused me to lose some of the respect I had for the whole NamUs program. We can do better. We must do better. No one, especially a US veteran, deserves to lay nameless in a potter's field for forty-four years!

My condolences go out to Kevin's loved ones.

All MOO

Kevin-Carroll2.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288