FL Mosquitoes Suspected in 2 New Mysterious Florida Zika Cases

GeeEm

Reaction score
July 27, 2016
6:30 pm EDT

Mosquitoes Suspected in 2 New Mysterious Florida Zika Cases

The four cases are in neighboring Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

The cases fit a similar pattern seen when mosquito-borne clusters of two other tropical infections, dengue fever and chikungunya, occurred in Florida in the past, according to Tom Skinner, a spokesman for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Evidence is mounting which points to local transmission via mosquitoes," he said of the Florida cases.

The virus is mainly spread by mosquitoes, as well as sex. So far, the 1,400 infections reported in the U.S. have been linked to travel to countries with Zika outbreaks in Latin America or the Caribbean.

Zika causes only a mild illness in most people. But scientists recently confirmed that infection during pregnancy can lead to severe brain-related birth defects.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/mysterious-zika-infections-reported-south-florida-40934813

I have had zika. I don't wish it on anyone, but it is not that bad. Chikungunya is the bad one. That one puts people out of commission for weeks.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/ucm513583.htm

Advice to Blood Collection Establishments on Non-Travel Related Cases of Zika Virus in Florida

July 27, 2016

The Office of the ‎Florida Department of Health State Surgeon General has announced that it is conducting an epidemiological investigation into a number of non-travel related cases of Zika virus in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. These may be the first cases of local Zika virus transmission by mosquitoes in the continental United States. Miami-Dade County and Broward County are adjacent counties in South Florida.

In consideration of the possibility of an emerging local outbreak of Zika virus, and as a prudent measure to help assure the safety of blood and blood products, FDA is requesting that all blood establishments in Miami-Dade County and Broward County cease collecting blood immediately until the blood establishments implement testing of each individual unit of blood collected in the two counties with an available investigational donor screening test for Zika virus RNA or until the blood establishments implement the use of an approved or investigational pathogen inactivation technology.

Additionally, FDA recommends that adjacent and nearby counties implement the precautions above to help maintain the safety of the blood supply as soon as possible.

For blood collection establishments outside of this region, FDA suggests that donors who have traveled to Miami-Dade and Broward Counties during the previous 4 weeks be deferred.

FDA will continue to monitor this potential outbreak in cooperation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Florida State public health authorities and provide updates as additional information becomes available.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/zi...mpts-fda-shut-down-blood-collection-2-n618981
Zika Probe in Florida Prompts FDA to Shut Down Blood Collection in 2 Counties
JUL 28 2016, 2:37 PM ET
[…]
Although Zika is primarily spread by the bite of an infected mosquito, it can also be spread through blood transfusions and sex with an infected person. The CDC is also investigating a case in Utah in which a caregiver may have contracted the virus from an elderly person with high levels of the Zika virus in his blood who later died.
[…]

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ks-2-florida-counties-to-halt-blood-donations
Fearing Zika, FDA Asks 2 Florida Counties To Halt Blood Donations
July 28, 20164:18 PM ET
[…]
In an effort to "help ensure the safety of the nation's blood supply," Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said in a statement that blood collections shouldn't resume in the area until the centers can test each incoming blood donation for Zika virus.
[…]

http://www.flgov.com/2016/07/29/gov...ill-use-full-resources-to-protect-floridians/
Gov. Scott: With Likely Mosquito-Borne Zika Cases, State Will Use Full Resources to Protect Floridians
On July 29, 2016, in News Releases, by Staff
ORLANDO, Fla. – Today, Governor Rick Scott announced that the Florida Department of Health (DOH) has concluded that four cases of the Zika virus are likely mosquito-borne. DOH knows that the four cases are in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. One of these cases involves a woman and the other three cases involve men. At this time, DOH believes that active transmissions of the Zika virus are occurring in one small area in Miami-Dade County, just north of downtown. The exact location is within the boundaries of the following area: NW 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Avenue to the west, US 1 to the east, NW/NE 38[SUP]th[/SUP] Street to the north and NW/NE 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Street to the south. This area is about 1 square mile and a map is below to detail the area. This is currently the only area of the state where DOH is testing to see if there are local transmissions of Zika. They are all active Zika cases and have not exhibited symptoms to be admitted to the hospital.
Governor Scott said, “We learned today that four people in our state likely have the Zika virus as a result of a mosquito bite. All four of these people live in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties and the Florida Department of Health believes that active transmissions of this virus could be occurring in one small area in Miami. While no mosquitoes have tested positive for the Zika virus, DOH is aggressively testing people in this area to ensure there are no other cases. If you live in this area and want to be tested, I urge you to contact the county health department which stands ready to assist you.
“Since our first travel-related case in February, Florida has taken an aggressive approach and committed state and local resources to combat this virus. Just like with a hurricane, we have worked hard to stay ahead of the spread of Zika and prepare for the worst, even as we hope for the best. Now that Florida has become the first state to have a local transmission, likely through a mosquito, we will continue to put every resource available to fighting the spread of Zika in our state. Last month, I used my emergency executive authority to allocate $26.2 million in state funds for Zika preparedness, prevention and response in Florida. I will continue to travel the state and speak with local leaders, ports and airports to ensure their needs are met. If it becomes clear more resources are needed, we will not hesitate to allocate them.
“We know this virus is most detrimental to expecting mothers. If you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant and live in the impacted area, I urge you to contact your OB/GYN for guidance and to receive a Zika Prevention kit. I also ask every Floridian to take proper precautions by eliminating any standing water and wearing insect repellent.
“Following today’s news, I directed the Department of Health to immediately begin contracting with commercial pest control companies to increase spraying and mosquito abatement efforts in the impacted area. We know from our experience with successfully dealing with other mosquito-borne viruses in our state that through constant surveillance and immediate action that we will protect our families and visitors. We will continue this same approach as we work to combat the Zika virus in our state. Florida is an outdoors state with pristine beaches, award-winning state parks and world class fishing. We continue to welcome record visitors to Florida and will remind everyone in our state to take proper precautions and wear insect repellent.”
Governor Scott has directed DOH to activate the Joint Information Center (JIC) within the State Emergency Operations Center to ensure impacted areas have coordinated access to information and resources. As part of this effort, Governor Scott has directed DOH to contract with commercial pest control companies to enhance and expand mosquito mitigation and abatement, including increased spraying, in the impacted areas.
Governor Scott has also directed DOH to do the following response activities:

• Provide $620,000 to OneBlood, the primary blood bank in the area, to establish appropriate blood screening. DOH will be working with FDA and blood establishments in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties to test each individual unit of blood collected. Additionally, statewide DOH will ensure safe blood for pregnant women by screening units from counties without Zika.
  • Work with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to issue a Mosquito Declaration and ensure that Mosquito Control in the areas of concern have the resources they need to combat further local transmission. Miami-Dade and Broward County Mosquito Control Districts will receive $1.28 million in state funds through December to combat Zika.
  • Continue investigations in concert with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to ensure we learn all we can about Zika as an emerging disease.
  • Coordinate with OB/GYNs and organizations that serve pregnant woman in the impacted area to distribute Zika prevention kits to pregnant women.
  • Ongoing door-to-door outreach in the areas of concern with continued mosquito mitigation activities and repellant distribution.
  • Partner with VISIT FLORIDA to distribute educational items, repellant and Zika Prevention Kits for pregnant women to visitor centers in the impacted areas.
  • Partner with the Florida Department of Education to ensure that mosquito breeding source reduction and mitigation activities have occurred at all schools in Miami-Dade and Broward counties ahead of children returning to classes this fall.
Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Adam H. Putnam said, “We are dedicated to protecting Floridians and visitors from Zika and will continue to support mosquito control programs throughout Florida with their surveillance and control efforts. Floridians can do their part by draining standing water surrounding their homes, as it can serve as breeding grounds for the mosquitoes that are capable of transmitting the virus.”
Florida Surgeon General Dr. Celeste Philip said, “As with most emerging health threats, we learn more about Zika each day but we recognize that the unknown can be scary especially for pregnant women. We’re committed to sharing as much as we can as soon as we can. Our top priority is the safety and well-being of all people in Florida and a big part of that is being accessible. If you have questions, please call the Zika hotline at 1-855-622-6735.”

I have had zika. I don't wish it on anyone, but it is not that bad. Chikungunya is the bad one. That one puts people out of commission for weeks.

How did you get it? How long to recover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...new-zika-cases-a-travel-advisory-is-expected/
Florida announces 10 new Zika cases; a travel advisory is expected
August 1 at 11:46 AM
Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) said Monday that the state health department has identified 10 more people who have been infected with the Zika virus who likely contracted it from mosquitoes, bringing the total number of cases in the state to 14.
The governor said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will issue a travel notice to women who are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant to avoid unnecessary travel to the affected area that is just north of downtown Miami.
[…]

August 1, 2016
1:37 pm ET

CDC Issues Travel Warning for Florida After Zika Outbreak

A travel advisory by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warning pregnant women from visiting an area with ongoing Zika virus transmission in northern Miami, Florida.

At least 14 people have been infected in the first locally transmitted Zika outbreak in the continental United States. Some countries, including the United Kingdom, have already issued a travel warning for their pregnant citizens about traveling to the affected area in Florida.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....irus-outbreak/story?id=41043460?client=safari

Two babies born in California with Zika-related severe birth defect
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article93708187.html

One of the California mothers has returned with her affected infant to her home country, said Dr. Karen Smith, director of the state Department of Public Health. State officials would not identify that country but said Zika is actively transmitted there.

How did you get it? How long to recover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in a foreign country where EVERYONE had it. Everyone. It was a couple of years ago so it is vague. A bit of an itchy rash. I forget if I,put something on it. Maybe Tea Tree oil? I know I was so,tired so I slept.

I think it was maybe three or four days. It was so nothing I do not recall much.

However, the next year everyone had chikungunya. I did not, but a man told me it was not possible that I did not get it as everyone had it. 15% of the population does not present symptoms. People who had it could hardly walk. It was like rheumatism. It lasted for a month for some. It was really bad.

Since so many people had zika I think I can say this is getting way overblown. Except maybe for pregnancy.

August 5, 2016
5:25 PM EDT

New Local Zika Infection Reported in Miami

A new Zika infection has been reported in the ongoing outbreak in northern Miami.

The Florida Department of Health reported the new case today, bringing the total number of people infected in the outbreak to 16. The individual, who was diagnosed, was a close contact of two people previously diagnosed with the disease. Health department officials said that samples have been sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to confirm the preliminary diagnosis.

This outbreak is the first time the disease has been spread in the continental U.S. through infected mosquitoes. Florida has by far the highest number of people diagnosed with Zika in the country, with at least 367 people diagnosed with the disease. Of those infected, 55 were pregnant women.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....eported-miami/story?id=41151095?client=safari

I live in a foreign country where EVERYONE had it. Everyone. It was a couple of years ago so it is vague. A bit of an itchy rash. I forget if I,put something on it. Maybe Tea Tree oil? I know I was so,tired so I slept.

I think it was maybe three or four days. It was so nothing I do not recall much.

However, the next year everyone had chikungunya. I did not, but a man told me it was not possible that I did not get it as everyone had it. 15% of the population does not present symptoms. People who had it could hardly walk. It was like rheumatism. It lasted for a month for some. It was really bad.

Since so many people had zika I think I can say this is getting way overblown. Except maybe for pregnancy.

Hi Human

I agree with you-- their going hysterical down there -- they are opening up man holes and dropping poisen in them.

They are asking people to "report" standing water. Its FL. Its summer. If every puddle was reported they would need to pull everyone (hey there is an idea!) out Of Iraq and deploy them down there!!

Gets ratings......

The title card on the local news down there was like "Zika Emergency"

channel 7 miami newcast

August 19, 2016
7:07 PM EDT

Zika Speads in Florida, Infects 5 in Miami Beach

Zika is now spreading in two places in Florida — in Miami Beach as well as an area north of Miami, Governor Rick Scott confirmed Friday.

He said five people have been infected by Zika locally in Miami Beach, including three tourists.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new travel warning, telling pregnant women to avoid the popular tourist area if at all possible.
Florida health officials had earlier denied reports that Zika was spreading locally in Miami Beach.

The local spread — meaning none of those infected had traveled to Zika-affected regions — strongly suggests that mosquitoes in the area have become infected with the virus and are biting people and spreading it.

"We believe we have a new area where local transmission is occurring in Miami Beach," Scott told a news conference.

"Active transmission is happening between 8th and 28th streets, an area just under 1.5 (square) miles."

The area includes much of South Beach, the quirky beachfront district popular for its outdoor restaurants and sidewalk promenades.

Miami Beach is the heart of the city's tourist district and state officials have been keen to protect the No. 1 industry for the region.

Scott said three of those infected were visitors -- one from New York, another from Texas and a third from Taiwan. One visitor had been infected before, a Texas resident who carried the virus back home.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/zi...-miami-beach-governor-rick-scott-says-n634491

August 19, 2016

As Zika crisis grows in Florida, Congress still deadlocked on funding

As Florida state and local officials scramble to contain a Zika virus outbreak in Miami Beach – a serious threat to the region’s $24 billion-a-year tourism industry — congressional lawmakers from both parties continue to be locked in battle over a billion dollars in vital funding that experts say is needed to keep the virus from breaking out across America.

To underscore that Florida has become the latest “ground zero” in the U.S. mainland battle against the mosquito-borne virus, Republican Gov. Rick Scott announced Friday that there have been five new cases identified in Miami Beach, some involving tourists — while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a warning Friday that pregnant women should stay out the region.

To date, there have been more than 500 reported cases of Zika in the Sunshine State, with 63 reported among pregnant women.

But Miami isn’t the only hard-hit area.

Puerto Rico officials have warned that as many as 270 babies may be born with the severe birth defect known as microcephaly caused by Zika infections in their mothers during pregnancy.

As of August 12, Puerto Rico had 10,690 laboratory-confirmed cases of Zika, including 1,035 pregnant women.

In New York City, 49 women have tested positive for Zika since April, and one baby has been born with microcephaly. Federal officials say that there have been 420 Zika cases in the Big Apple. The outbreak has pushed Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio to renew his calls for Congress to pass a significant funding bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ida-congress-still-deadlocked-on-funding.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back