What time did the kids go missing?

Alchemist

Reaction score
Mrs. Hobbs says she saw Michael walking up 14th street at 6:00 and sent her daughter to go get him. Now Mrs. Hobbs say Stevie was to be home at 4:30 so she could go to work. He didn't show up and she looked for him at Michael's house. So why wasn't he home for 4:30?

I think you might be mixing the two Mother's up my dear.Mrs.Hobbs was already at work by 6:00.I believe it was Mrs.Moore who saw her son Michael at that time.

Correct, MM's mom said his sis saw him around 6. SB's mom said he left home (around 4, IIRC) with instructions to be home by 4:30. CB's mom said he was on the carport around 5:30. Witnesses stated they saw the boys enter the woods around 6:30 or 7 (different witnesses). So, take your pick! The MPR's weren't filed until later that night. IIRC, JMB was told to give CB some time to get home when he went to police early on (6ish, IIRC). As to why SB wasn't home by 4:30, either he was playing somewhere and forgot or he had already been abducted. The latter would mean that the witnesses who supposedly saw the boys together were lying or mistaken. Personally, I believe SB lost track of the time. Later, CB joined MM and SB and the three were attacked sometime around 7:30 or 7:45 that night.

I have a thought. SB was considered missing by his mom before the, others. so after TH dropped off the mother at work and probably searched for SB before the others were even missing. Could he have found them?

Sure, but then again, so could have JMB. He was looking for the boys before they were called in missing too.

Sure, but then again, so could have JMB. He was looking for the boys before they were called in missing too.
But TH would have been looking before anyone else even suspected anything.

And? His son was supposed to be home at 4:30 pm. JMB started searching just an hour later, just after 5:30. This was before they were all technically missing also.

And? His son was supposed to be home at 4:30 pm. JMB started searching just an hour later, just after 5:30. This was before they were all technically missing also.

I didn't know JMB started looking that early. I thought he was picking his son up from court.

^ Per Jivepuppi:

"approx. 6:00 to 6:30 pm Mark Byers statement: Began looking for Chris around house and calling to neighbors. Corroboration: Statements, Melissa Byers and Ryan Clark."

http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html

When JMB returned with RC from picking him up at court, CB was technically "missing" from the car port. RC says they returned home "closer to 6." Either way, he was also searching for his boy before the boys were officially "missing," just as TH was. He'd go to Bobby Posey's house soon after (interesting statement if you haven't seen it already).

^ Per Jivepuppi:

"approx. 6:00 to 6:30 pm Mark Byers statement: Began looking for Chris around house and calling to neighbors. Corroboration: Statements, Melissa Byers and Ryan Clark."

http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html

When JMB returned with RC from picking him up at court, CB was technically "missing" from the car port. RC says they returned home "closer to 6." Either way, he was also searching for his boy before the boys were officially "missing," just as TH was. He'd go to Bobby Posey's house soon after (interesting statement if you haven't seen it already).

Thanks for the link. I was mostly getting info from the callahan site.

You're welcome. Jivepuppi is an excellent website as well; that and Cally's are the best sources in my view. Jive's is nice because he narrates a bit and gives you a starting point for researching -- and when I say "narrates," I mean he's going off of what is on Cally's and kind of neatens all the information up for you (whereas Cally's, you're on your own to sift through every document).

What's curious about this is that Melissa Byers told Detectives that her son had stayed out late numerous times. So why was this particular time so worrying to JMB? And why did he lie and say publicly, that his kid had never stayed out late?

What's curious about this is that Melissa Byers told Detectives that her son had stayed out late numerous times. So why was this particular time so worrying to JMB? And why did he lie and say publicly, that his kid had never stayed out late?

Ahh. A supporter who bases all of their conclusions on the "facts" presented in PL1. Excellent sleuthing!

^ I know that particular poster disagreed with you earlier, but there's no need for the snippy attitude in my opinion; it's a reasonable question.

I feel that JMB was simply covering up the fact that, CB pretty much ran away that day, for all intents and purposes; and it was directly because of JMB. I can't confirm this, obviously, but all the signs point to such. He was whipped that very day at 5:30 when JMB found him on his skateboard in the middle of the street, then told to clean the car port. When JMB discovered he, once again, directly disobeyed him after already being punished once, he felt obligated to find him. The punishment, and the fact he was disobeyed a second time, fueled the urgency to find CB that day.

Posey, a witness who said JMB came by his house looking for CB around 7, said that JMB stated, "Well, I'll just have to give him another whooping" (paraphrasing).

I don't mean to imply that this directly proves JMB's involvement in the crime; just answering the original question of, why was it so crucial to find CB on this particular day for JMB (if the boy had stayed out late before); and again, the answer is, because he directly disobeyed JMB that day and broke his initial punishment/grounding (i.e. clean the carport). If you read through the various accounts of JMB, you can almost tell he's embarrassed and somewhat reluctant to admit that he had punished and whipped CB that day -- not only that, but obviously, it looks all the more bad/incriminating considering would transpire that day.

Also, I vaguely remember something about one of the families wanting to go out to eat dinner that night -- and they couldn't have gone without the missing boy, obviously. If my memory is correct, and it was the Byers' family, this would be another reason why it was so important to find the boy that night.

Also, I vaguely remember something about one of the families wanting to go out to eat dinner that night -- and they couldn't have gone without the missing boy, obviously. If my memory is correct, and it was the Byers' family, this would be another reason why it was so important to find the boy that night.

Sorry, I don't have a link to support this....but you are correct. It was the Byers family that was going out for dinner that evening and that's why they were looking for him.

My notes taken from several sites including jivepuppi.

Two of the boys seen on bikes heading toward the general area around 6:30 pm wearing back packs. The back packs struck me as odd being how late it was after school.

It was Wednesday and it was a school night.

Also read somewhere that two boys were on bikes, the other was not.

Boys last seen around 6:30 pm. Sunset was 7:49 pm. Spring sky not sure what the cloud cover was but this was a rainy season and would later be dubbed as Year of the Floods. In the days leading up to this time there had been around 2 inches of rain. This time of day/evening would have been dim possibly with dusk.twilight approaching.

Moonrise was 7:42 and was FULL. Moonset would have been 5:26 am. The moon would have been at it's highest brightest point somewhere in the time around midnight if cloud cover was low and such there might have been ample light to work under.

The sighting with the boys with packs on is tricky. OB J. is the one who made the sighting -- his son was the boys' age and was friends with all of them, so he would know the boys. However, OB J. is the only one who says the boys were wearing backpacks (and also shorts). FWIW.

MM and SB were on bikes. CB was not. Earlier, he had a skateboard. That skateboard has never been recovered to anyone's knowledge, nor is it a given that he had it with him when he met SB and MM.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back