ND ND - Kevin Mahoney, 25, Fargo, 2 Oct 1993

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Kevin Mahoney has been missing for 12 years – nearly half as long as he’d been alive on Oct. 2, 1993.

That was the day he left a friend’s house and disappeared.

Fargo police issued a statement Wednesday once again appealing for leads in one of the city’s oldest missing-persons cases.

On the day he disappeared, Mahoney, 25, left the home of his friend Ben Kukowski to walk to the home of his brother in south Moorhead.

But Mahoney never arrived. After not hearing from him for a couple of days, his sister, Michele Eisenpeter of Dilworth, stopped by Kukowski’s house and was told Mahoney had left. The family then contacted police.
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=106870&section=News

I looked on MySpace for a Kevin Mahoney in a 100 mile radius from both Fargo ND and Moorhead MN and the only one that came up is one that hasn't logged in since 2/14/2008 but claims to be 32 and has a huge gut and short hair. I don't know if he could lie on the age and be the same person: the MySpace profile is private.

Today (10/2/08) marks the 15th anniversary of Kevin's disappearance. I just heard his sister talking about his case on the radio; heartbreaking. His family has never given up hope. God bless them.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...47165214d447d41

Missing adult cases can be tricky
Brittany Lawonn, The Forum
Published Sunday, July 06, 2008
· advertisement ·

Fargo police send out a reminder each October: Kevin Mahoney is still missing.

Mahoney was 25 when he disappeared Oct. 2, 1993. Relatives reported him missing when they didn’t hear from him.

Mahoney is one of a few unsolved missing person cases in the city. Police still receive tips.

Police dispatch logs show that every now and then authorities will get a call to do a welfare check or an attempt-to-locate call on an individual. Most of the time the person is located, but there are instances where a further search is needed.

The circumstances surrounding a missing person report often determine when, and if, authorities will issue an alert to the public, said Fargo Police Sgt. Jeff Skuza.

RELATED CONTENT
Brittany Lawonn Archive
“We don’t want to publicize too may of them because we don’t want the public to become numb,” Skuza said.

Skuza cited a June 2007 case where authorities notified the public about a

26-year-old Fargo man reported missing.

The notification went out because Anthony French’s actions were out of his normal pattern of behavior, Skuza said. French missed the birth of his daughter and had not been to work.

His body was later recovered in the Red River. Autopsy results showed he had a blood-alcohol level of 0.118 when he drowned.

But not every report results in the discovery of a body.

“We’ve also had some false alarms,” Skuza said, citing a case where authorities were alerted about a potential abduction.

Someone spotted the woman’s keys outside her apartment and feared the worst. Turned out she had left voluntarily, Skuza said.

“An adult has a right to walk away and disappear if they want to,” Skuza said.

Skuza recalled one case he handled where a husband reported his wife missing.

Authorities tracked her down and discovered she was pregnant and had moved in with another man in another town.

“If we do track them down, we’re not necessarily obligated to tell the person who reported them where they’re at,” Skuza said.

Sometimes people have trouble understanding that, but Skuza said he could not recall any big problem with such a situation.

“Usually people are just happy to hear that they’re OK,” said Deputy Moorhead Police Chief Bob Larson.

Unlike in missing children cases, Amber Alerts cannot be issued for adults.

The alerts are also restricted to cases where there is concern that a child is at risk for serious bodily harm or death, according to www.amberalert.gov.

There is currently an Amber Alert issued in North Dakota for Reachelle Smith, who was reported missing May 17, 2006, in Minot. She would be 5 now.

In Minnesota, 19 Amber Alerts have been issued, according to the Minnesota Crime Alert Network, which hand-les the alerts.

The program began in 1996 and has recently gone wireless. Individuals can sign up to receive Amber Alert text messages on their phones.

For more information, visit www.wirelessamberalerts.org.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Brittany Lawonn at (701) 241-5541

Missing man case not ready to close
The Forum
Published Friday, October 03, 2008
· advertisement ·

Michele Elsenpeter has given up hope that her big brother Kevin will ever be found alive.

But she still thinks someday she’ll find out what happened to him.

Kevin Mahoney was last seen 15 years ago – on Oct. 2, 1993 – after walking out of a friend’s north Fargo home and heading toward his brother’s south Moorhead apartment.

His brother wasn’t home and it’s unclear if Mahoney ever made it there. Since then, no one has heard from him.

“It’s like he just vanished,” Elsenpeter said.

RELATED CONTENT
WDAY: Missing person 15th anniversary
Fargo police have chased leads over the years, but haven’t given up hope in closing the investigation into Mahoney’s disappearance.

“I think it’s entirely solvable,” Sgt. Jeff Skuza said. “It would help if we knew where he was. That’d be a pretty good place to start.”

Mahoney was 25 when he disappeared. Typically, he kept in close contact with his family. Authorities have investigated the case both as a missing person’s case and as a potential homicide because of suspicious circumstances surrounding it, Skuza said.

“We don’t think he disappeared on his own,” Skuza said.

Authorities have obtained DNA in the case that could be used to possibly identify Mahoney, which has strengthened the family’s hope that the case may be solved.

The family suspects foul play and has worked hard to keep the word out about Mahoney’s disappearance, Elsenpeter said.

“Kevin needs to have some dignity and be put to peace,” the Dilworth woman said. Mahoney would have been 40 in June.

The absence of knowing what happened to Mahoney is most difficult on his mother, who he lived with when he disappeared, Elsenpeter said.

“She’s really unhealthy, and for me, I just, I would like to solve this before her time comes,” she said.

How to help

- Anyone with information about the case is asked to call a tip line at (701) 241-5777 or (701) 241-1405 to talk to an investigator.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Brittany Lawonn at (701) 241-5541

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...e33a0d020523e50

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/25371/group/Your City/

1 Oct 09

The family of a man who has been missing 16 years today is asking for the public's help in finding him.

Kevin Gerald Mahoney was last seen leaving a friend’s house Oct. 1, 1993, according to a news release issued by the Fargo Police Department.

Mahoney was described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 165 pounds, with long blondish brown hair. He would be 41 years old now.

Police continue looking for any information concerning his disappearance.

Family members have not heard from Mahoney since 1993, and this remains one of the few unsolved missing person cases in Fargo, police said in the release.

The circumstances surrounding the case are suspicious and investigators believe foul play is a possibility, according to police.

Anyone with information is asked to the Fargo police at (701) 241-1405.

This case sounds alot like Jason Jolkowski's case!

Bump

Next month marks 17 years that Kevin went missing. Come home soon.

Twenty years gone:

http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/article/id/196560/group/News/

Most recently, police got a warrant in 2011 to excavate the basement of a home in Fargo that Vettel would only describe as “a location (Mahoney) was reported to be at” prior to his disappearance. Police were looking for physical evidence — possibly a body — but found nothing.

Barring any new leads or promising information, Vettel said Mahoney’s case will remain open but inactive.

“They keep looking, mainly for us. We won’t let it go,” Elsenpeter said after walking with signs across the Red River, side by side with her daughter, Tiffany.

"Local Family Continues to Seek Answers Regarding Missing Man"

http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Local-Family-Continue-to-Seek-For-Answers-Regarding-Missing-Man--330418161.html

The family said they are hanging signs and continue to look for answers and closure.

"He is my older brother and I will never give up hope, " said Mahoney's sister, Michele Elsenpeter. "He is family and families stick together. This is what we do and if I went missing I wouldn't want anyone to give up on me."

When I read his name I immediately thought "That is that guy with the gorgeous long hair!". I was right, that stuck with me after reading about this case few years ago. I wish his family will get answers soon. It's been too long.

Detectives reopen 24-year-old cold case in Fargo

http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Detectives-reopen-24-year-old-cold-case-in-Fargo-448987143.html

Elsenpeter says the friend told her Mahoney had left around midnight and didn’t come back. She has her suspicions. “As soon as Kevin disappeared nobody wanted to go back to that house, nobody wanted to hang out with that individual.”

Not long after Mahoney was reported missing, about two months Elsenpeter estimates, the friend sold his home. The sale only made her more suspicious.

And Elsenpeter says it took nearly six months for police to take Mahoney’s disappearance seriously. Police had searched the home and gathered a few names after his initial reported disappearance, but chalked it all up to Mahoney being a young man who took off on his own will.

A recent phone call has given Elsenpeter and her family new hope. Detectives recently called to inform her that Mahoney’s case had been reopened. “He said it was reopened and we got new eyes on the case and there's questions that they want to re-question,” she says.

Detectives have told her very little about what prompted the cold case to be reopened, but she feels this is the year her family will get answers. “For so many years nothing seemed to be going and now that it’s reopened, we’re just so hopeful.”

26 years later, Kevin Mahoney is still missing

Kevin+Mahoney+Missing1.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member