Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Jury Selection Begins in Capobianco Murder Trial
Posted May 23, 2016

1458524_646586072080685_6323848319806635311_n.jpg

link

The trial for a man accused of murdering his pregnant ex-girlfriend gets underway with jury selection today in Second Circuit Court.

Steven Capobianco faces second degree murder and arson charges in the death of 27-year-old Charli Scott, who was five months pregnant when she was reported missing in February of 2014.

Media thread

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

“Charli’s” Mom Testifies: Capobianco’s “Tone was Out of Context”
Wendy Osher
Posted July 26, 2016, 01:16 PM HST
Updated July 27, 2016

Kimberlyn Scott testified that she gave birth to Charli on Nov. 24, 1986 in California. She explained that Charli got her nickname because her older sister Brooke couldn’t pronounce Carly correctly, and the name just “stuck.” Kimberlyn Scott noted that Charli was one of her four biological daughters, but that altogether, she has nine daughters, including her longtime boyfriend’s two daughters and three other hānai children.

During testimony, Kimberlyn Scott described the events leading up to Charli’s disappearance, her daughter’s relationship with the defendant, as well as the tension that loomed as she questioned Capobianco about the last time her daughter was seen alive.

Below is a recap of that conversation.

Catching up from the week. So so so disappointed we did not get to hear any testimony last week. Especially Kim and Brooke. I also wanted to hear the female attorney.
Did Brooke have headphones on during her testimony? If so why? The Maui News pic looks like she has headphones on.
I think she was listening to her testimony to police from two years ago, to refresh her memory, but that is just my impression from the article. Edit: and now I can't find what I thought I read, so I'm likely wrong, but I'll leave the post.

So with you on the disappointment.
I cannot find any video of Brooke. KHON didn't show anything in their video but a possibly old footage of Steven entering in his every day outfit, and stills of Brooke. I hope they get something Monday, if she is still on.
Yet there are hours of video of Loo saying yes sir no sir ... Sigh.

I think Loo broke the camel's back with his six days of testimony.

Yep. I do think it was vital to broadcast the SC police interviews so everyone could hear his voice.

So to recap the new info on facts/timeline that we have from Kim and Brooke, and Albert Young:
1) Tuesday: we know that after Steven was seen on the dirt road to Nua'ailua on Tue. afternoon, that he followed Brooke and Phaedra to their Haiku home, in his truck.
2) Kim questioned him there.
3) Kim let him take Zoe.

I seem to remember from his own interview that he was with Adam when the news came in about Nala. Adam and Fiona went out to Nahiku and arrived around 1 AM, per Albert who met them.

It does not sound like he had opportunity to go back to Paraquat's with all this, unless very late. Most likely this is when he burned the Forerunner, but where was it hidden if it was in the Haiku area?

Wednesday: Kim took back Zoe after the burned truck was found, and she felt lied to by Steven. He complained "this"'was getting pinned on him. (The next day he did the HNN interview.)

I sure hope he agrees to talk after he gets convicted.

It occurred to me that another thing that SC did not factor in was Nala being with Charli when she came over that night. I've always said that Nala's presence in Nahiku strongly indicates that Nala knew the person who killed Charli and that any serial killer would have killed the dog too. But here's something that I *just* thought of... SC had no way of killing Nala without risking grave injury to himself. He brought a knife (possibly a machete also), but not a gun. And he couldn't deal with Charli AND her dog at the same time. So that is why he simply let her out of the vehicle.

So what timeframe is there for him to burn her car? Or did he have someone else do it?

I don't think killing the dog would bring any harm to him. The dog trusted him and he could have held it and stabbed it repeatedly pretty quick. Although I really don't know if a severely injured dog would still fight?
I think he let the dog go because he's an animal lover. Fed his dog only the best.

I'm STILL stuck on the Twilight dvd location. It's baffling me why it was there.

I don't think killing the dog would bring any harm to him. The dog trusted him and he could have held it and stabbed it repeatedly pretty quick. Although I really don't know if a severely injured dog would still fight?
I think he let the dog go because he's an animal lover. Fed his dog only the best.

I'm STILL stuck on the Twilight dvd location. It's baffling me why it was there.
I really like Kapua's point, and agree with you HGO as well. Both maybe. I don't think Steven could bring himself to kill a healthy dog of the same breed as his dog.

Re ability to stab and control the dog, I doubt SC had the strength. I have seen at least one pitbull attack, and they are extremely fast and strong and known for their bite that just clamps on. And they are protective.

Brooke mentioned Charli might stop to let Nala shishi, so possibly Nala is already trained to just get out to relieve herself and come back and get in, but maybe Steven just let the dog go out for this innocent purpose that wouldn't allow Charli, then drove away.

Obviously at that point Charli would know Steven meant her harm, if not before, but it would be an easy way to ditch Nala I think.
My question is still, why Nahiku, but probably her friends there figured into that choice.

Re the Twilight DVD, the fact it was found by itself is striking. Close to the road, because Phaedra said she had just started into the jungle.

My spec would be that Charli tossed it out the window as a shiny message because she knew what was up; that's if she had an arm free and if she kept the video in the cab front.

Someone else, SC or accomplice could have thrown it out, not realizing perhaps it was well known to Phaedra, not sure.

So what timeframe is there for him to burn her car? Or did he have someone else do it?
Hard to say if he did it alone or had help, but PT says for sure the 4Runner was not in that spot on Tuesday day when they searched. It was found at dusk on Wednesday, so I guess that is the timeframe. My guess would be under cover of darkness, which would be Tuesday night after Adam and Fiona took off.

I think there would be a concern about driving her rig on Hana Highway with those two known to be going to Hana, at least the skull grille would be removed before he drove it after dark. It is hard to hypothesize where it might have been hidden for two days along Hana Highway. There were aerial searches going on. But not safe on his GF's property either.

I think he burned it Tuesday night/Wednesday early AM, because 1. Peter Tosh said that ~40 people searched that area Monday night and there's no way 40 people could have missed the recently burned 4Runner, and 2. I'm thinking that if his work schedule included Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue, that Wednesday might have been one of his days off. So he could strip it, burn it, and then get some sleep. He didn't have to worry about being fresh-brained for work on Wednesday. He might have planned it that way so that he (with or without accomplices) had plenty of time to remove those valuable Toyota parts. I am still on the fence about the presence/absence of accomplices with regard to the arson.
:cow:

I think he burned it Tuesday night/Wednesday early AM, because 1. Peter Tosh said that ~40 people searched that area Monday night and there's no way 40 people could have missed the recently burned 4Runner, and 2. I'm thinking that if his work schedule included Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue, that Wednesday might have been one of his days off. So he could strip it, burn it, and then get some sleep. He didn't have to worry about being fresh-brained for work on Wednesday. He might have planned it that way so that he (with or without accomplices) had plenty of time to remove those valuable Toyota parts. I am still on the fence about the presence/absence of accomplices with regard to the arson.
:cow:

No gas. Charli's car never left Haiku. Steven's car never got stuck. Work from that. Cant drive two cars at oncw

Before you guys go any further... HOW COULD 40 PPL SEARCH JAWS ON MONDAY NIGHT if Kim Scott didn't report her daughter missing until Monday night?

I think it's more like 40 ppl searched on Tuesday or Wednesday and just throw Monday night out of the equation.

Peter said he was on his dirt bike in the Jaws pineapple fields on Monday. For recreation, not searching for Charli and didn't see her truck there.

This is Brooke's testimony regarding Charli being low on gas:

"When Charli Scott left shortly after 8 p.m., she said she needed gas for her 1997 Toyota 4Runner but a gas station about five minutes away was closed, Brooke Scott recalled. She offered to check the property for fuel, but her sister said she thought she could make it back home."

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...bes-initial-search-with-defendant.html?nav=10

It doesn't appear as though she knew she'd be going for a L O N G drive up Hana Hwy. We know that her vehicle was there because of the blanket and the Twilight DVD. So SC must have provided her with fuel for the drive. Like I posted before, probably with the extra fuel he was planning to use for the arson.

No gas. Charli's car never left Haiku. Steven's car never got stuck. Work from that. Cant drive two cars at oncw

Totally possible. But then there's the blanket and the Twilight DVD in Nua'ailua.

Maybe the DVD fell out of whatever it was he was carrying through the brush to dispose of. The DVD could have been stuck to a bare arm or a thigh and fell off with friction. Was the DVD processed for fingerprints and blood? Will we ever know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member