Satanic Temple targets Cobb County Ga. elementary school

Tulessa

Reaction score
OMG!

COBB COUNTY, Ga. —
A Cobb County elementary school is among a handful of schools where the Satanic Temple plans to begin operations of its "After School Satan” club.

It’s not clear whether any of the clubs are up and running, but Still Elementary in Powder Springs is listed on the group’s website as one of the schools where it has offered to present its curriculum.

“Across the nation, parents are concerned about encroachments by proselytizing evangelicals in their public schools, and are eager to establish the presence of a contrasting voice that helps children to understand that one doesn’t need to submit to superstition in order to be a good person,” the group’s web site says.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cob...rgets-cobb-county-elementary-school/415162314

OMG!

COBB COUNTY, Ga. —
A Cobb County elementary school is among a handful of schools where the Satanic Temple plans to begin operations of its "After School Satan” club.

It’s not clear whether any of the clubs are up and running, but Still Elementary in Powder Springs is listed on the group’s website as one of the schools where it has offered to present its curriculum.

“Across the nation, parents are concerned about encroachments by proselytizing evangelicals in their public schools, and are eager to establish the presence of a contrasting voice that helps children to understand that one doesn’t need to submit to superstition in order to be a good person,” the group’s web site says.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cob...rgets-cobb-county-elementary-school/415162314

Freedom of religion. Freedom is for all, not just a select few. Sorry.

So true. Since we threw God out of our schools, it's only natural something would come along and fill the void. But I do wonder if Christianity will now be allowed to "present its curriculum"?

:cow:

Freedom of religion. Freedom is for all, not just a select few. Sorry.

I've been reading about this since it first hit the news a week or so ago as a headline. I think what you said is actually their goal, it's really not so much about getting kids in the Satan club. I take it as making sure that ALL religious groups are welcomed as after school activities, not just a select few. But, in the heart of the south, it won't receive a warm welcome from the public as a whole, IMO.

So true. Since we threw God out of our schools, it's only natural something would come along and fill the void. But I do wonder if Christianity will now be allowed to "present its curriculum"?

:cow:

It is sad to me that God was thrown out of schools.

Why not have Christianity? If others are allowed, why not God and Jesus?

IMOO.

IMOO.

Apparently this is intended as an equalizing measure:

The Satanic Temple’s goal is to counter faith-based groups that work with schools. It says it plans to start an ASSC in “every school where the Good News Clubs, or other proselytizing religious groups, have established a presence

Fair for one, fair for all kinda thing.

Good News Clubs v. Milford Central Schools (2001), SCOTT'S

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/533/98.html

IMOO.

It's called double standards. That's IMO! Throw God out and this is what you get. And I'm not here to debate, or argue. Every one has a right to worship. But if you're going to take God out of schools, then for Heavens sake, keep Satan out too.

It's called double standards. That's IMO! Throw God out and this is what you get. And I'm not here to debate, or argue. Every one has a right to worship. But if you're going to take God out of schools, then for Heavens sake, keep Satan out too.

Oh I see what you mean! Got it!! I hear ya!

IMOO.

What about the Pledge of Allegiance?

Getting rid of that is not fair in my opinion. If people don't want to say it, then don't, but for those who do, they should be allowed to say it.

IMOO.

This specific effort is about use of school facilities for after school programs, not about what takes place in the classrooms during school hours.

Fair for one, fair for all.

Ban one, ban all.

That's all.

As the article states, they are targeting schools that already permit use of their facilities for religion based after school programs.

No student would be compelled to attend the Satanists after school program, just as no student is compelled to attend the Christian after school programs.

About double standards.

Absolutely. Yes.

Precisely.

If one can talk to their imaginary friend, everyone can.

How about all this crap is deemed illegal??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMOO.

How about none?

I prefer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMOO.

Yeah-- so why not the After School Satan Club? Christian clubs, IMO, have no more business being "hosted" in public schools than Islam, or any other religion. Churches without permanent homes do "rent" public school auditoriums and gymnasiums frequently in our area, but they pay RENT to the school district to have services. No literature is left behind, no signs-- portable signs on the day of worship, etc.

Heck, we had a Muslim "Madrassa", called TIZA public charter school, paid for by all of the state tax payers $$.....until it was shut down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarek_ibn_Ziyad_Academy

Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy (TIZA) was an elementary school (K-8) in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota named after Tarek ibn Ziyad, the Berber general of medieval Algeria who entered Gibraltar in 711 CE on behalf of the Umayyad Caliphate and defeated the Visigoths. The school is sponsored by Islamic Relief USA.[1] The school has a primarily Muslim student body and has been embroiled in a number of controversies regarding the separation of church and state. The school has a waiting list of 1,500 students.[2] Around 80% of students are English language learners. Despite this, the school has one of the highest reading scores on standardized tests in the state.[3] As of July 2011 TiZA has been shut down by order of the Minnesota Education Department, due to lack of an approved charter school sponsor.[4]

Controversy[edit]
Star Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten spurred an inquiry into TiZA by the Minnesota Department of Education after her column suggested the school had violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution by teaching religion in the schools. The accusation was made by Republican Party activist Amanda Getz, who closely collaborated with Katherine Kersten as part of her ongoing efforts to close down the school.[13]

The Department of Education found that the school had violated some lesser statutes, involving seat time and busing, but that it was not teaching Islam to students.[13][14]

When a news crew from KSTP-TV entered the school grounds to ask for a comment about the MDoE findings, school director Asad Zaman and another school official grabbed the crew's camera. Police were already in the area at the time of the incident. No charges against KSTP (for trespassing) or the school officials (for assault) were pursued.[15]

Not "teaching" Islam, lol....but promoting it, scheduling prayer time, incorporating the Koran and islamic history and principles into daily routines on a mandatory basis, and doing a whole bunch of other things that a religious based school does. So it depends on how one defines "teaching". That TIZA existed as long as it did as a public school is jaw-dropping, and illegal in a huge number of ways-- but political correctness and liberal principles pushed it along until it crashed.

Religious schools are fine, IMO, but they belong as PRIVATE schools-- and that includes "clubs". Religion does not belong in Public Schools. Religious accommodations (for staff and students), when they otherwise can't be avoided, IMO, should be unobtrusive to the general student body, and general public, and kept as quiet and hidden as possible to still "accommodate" students. MOO. It's a private thing if you need accommodations, IMO-- no grandstanding or public/ personal promotion should be permitted, to prevent religious activism and religious coercion in schools.

The "Satan" club is tongue-in-cheek satire, based on the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The humor of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has given way to the "Satan Club", to get more of people's attention to the church and state separation issues, IMO. If the "Good News" club can be there, so can the "Satan Club", IMO.

If Santa Claus, and snow men, and Halloween, and Christmas are banned from art projects and any mention in public schools, and we have to "pretend" with "holiday" and "winter" observances to placate other religions, then we should be consistent with Christian Clubs being banned, as well as "Satan Clubs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan
Back