FL - Mary Knowlton, 73, fatally shot by Punta Gorda PD officer, 9 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

GeeEm

Reaction score
August 9, 2016
11:16 PM EDT

Woman fatally shot by Fla. police officer during gun demonstration

A woman was fatally shot by a police officer in front of more than two dozen people during a live gun demonstration Tuesday in Florida, the Punta Gorda Police Department said, CBS affiliate WINK reported.

During a "Citizen Police Academy" session on Tuesday night, two participants were randomly selected from the group of 35 community members in attendance to be put through a "shoot/don't shoot" scenario.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...ficer-during-gun-demonstration/?client=safari

A horrible mistake? Yes. But one that should have never happened at all. Who thought it was a good idea to not only point a gun at this woman, but actually shoot? I don't care if they were supposed to be "blanks." Completely irresponsible.

August 10, 2016
4:08 PM EDT

Woman, 73, fatally shot by Florida officer role-playing as ‘bad guy’ during citizen police academy

Mary Knowlton arrived at the Punta Gorda, Fla., police station Tuesday night to learn how to be a community steward.

The 73-year-old was there as a student in the citizens police academy, a two-hour course intended to give an intimate look at what makes the department in the quaint Florida town work.
On this night, the group of 35 would tour the station and talk with officers, an essential part of academy curriculum that has gained popularity across the country amid a heated national debate about police violence.

When it came time to get involved, Knowlton volunteered. The hosting officers chose two students to role-play a lethal force simulation, a scenario intended to demonstrate how and when officers decide to pull the trigger. Knowlton played the victim, Charlotte Sun photographer Sue Paquin told the newspaper, and a Punta Gorda police officer played a “bad guy.” These scenarios are usually safe, acted out with either fake or empty weapons.

But when the officer’s gun was fired, Knowlton — a mother, wife and career librarian — was hit with a live round. She was rushed to a local hospital and was pronounced dead.

Her husband of 55 years witnessed the shooting and is “devastated,” her son, Steve Knowlton, told the Associated Press. The tragedy has rocked the historic waterfront town on Florida’s west coast, home to 17,500 people and a popular destination for retirees. Punta Gorda Police Chief Tom Lewis called the shooting a “horrible accident” and said that everyone involved was in a “state of overwhelming shock and grief.”

“Our entire police department and all of our city leaders are absolutely devastated for everyone involved in this unimaginable event,” the chief said Tuesday night. “I am asking that if you pray, you pray for Mary’s husband and family and for all of the officers and witnesses involved in this incident.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tizen-police-academy-lethal-force-simulation/

So sad, I just watched the evening news and the people involved in the community are heartbroken. The officer has been put on administrative leave with pay, and Mary Knowlton's son says Mary and the family forgives the officer and he knows Mary would want it that way, it was just a tragedy. A freak accident.

Heartbreaking!

RIP Mary Knowlton :rose:

How devastating. How did that happen? Why would the officer use a loaded weapon???

How devastating. How did that happen? Why would the officer use a loaded weapon???

Hi katydid23

According to a news report it's under investigation. No idea how it happened 😭

jmo

--------------
On Dr Drew officer identified as K9 LE Lee Cole
August 10, 2016 7:55 PM EDT

I thought two things when I heard this obseridty. Only in FL, and of Hurricane Charlie!!

I dont know anything about guns - but they should just be using fake ones in this stuff-- apallling and I am sure the shooter feels awful, but jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz where did common sense go in FL ??

A new book just came out about my stupid state! We top it all.

I'm surprised as heck at this. Punta Gorda has a great LE department, IMO. It's a very nice quaint town on Charlotte harbor, with a ton of snowbirds and retirees. It sounds like a terrible accident, but negligent one. I got to know several local policemen when I Worked there on assignment. I wonder if it was one of them, I'm off to check my FB to see what is being said amongst my PGI friends.

I'm surprised as heck at this. Punta Gorda has a great LE department, IMO. It's a very nice quaint town on Charlotte harbor, with a ton of snowbirds and retirees. It sounds like a terrible accident, but negligent one. I got to know several local policemen when I Worked there on assignment. I wonder if it was one of them, I'm off to check my FB to see what is being said amongst my PGI friends.

On Dr Drew officer identified as K9 LE Lee Cole
August 10, 2016 7:55 PM EDT

I posted that earlier, did you happen to catch his name, he is devastated as well, the whole community! Just sad :cry:

Just horrible. Some basic safety procedures could have prevented this.

Just horrible. Some basic safety procedures could have prevented this.

Such as not shooting blanks at students in a 2 hour citizen police academy class? Even when it's done safely, is it really necessary? FL once again outdoes itself. :facepalm:

Such as not shooting blanks at students in a 2 hour citizen police academy class? Even when it's done safely, is it really necessary? FL once again outdoes itself. :facepalm:

Yes. A fake gun or one of those toy laser guns or something would seem more appropriate. Sorry, but I can't believe this is a good police department.

This country gets crazier all the time, but it’s not the first time it has happened.

[video=youtube;am-Qdx6vky0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0[/video]

The same cop, Punta Gorda police officer Lee Coel siccing a police dog on a man for riding a bike without lights This is a very dangerous country we live in.

[video=youtube;qcDCu2fxRHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcDCu2fxRHA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

She was shot with a live round. I can't understand how that could happen.

So who loaded this weapon with real bullets? Was it the officer who shot and killed this poor woman? Somebody else? Why did Chief think there were only blank rounds available when clearly this wasn't the case?

"I can tell you that we were unaware that any live ammunition for this particular weapon," Punta Gorda Police Chief Tom Lewis said. "We believe that the caliber of the weapon used that there were only blank rounds available to that officer.""
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/officer-who-fatally-shot-elderly-woman-during-demonstration-identified/

While we wait to find out who is responsible for this atrocious mistake, it might be worth your time to Google Brandon Lee's death. He was the son of Bruce Lee and died on the set of the movie the Crow in a very similar situation in 93.

She was shot with a live round. I can't understand how that could happen.
Yes I know it was a live round. I'm just saying that blank rounds, what was supposed to be shot, are unnecessary to begin with for this type of event. Fake guns, paintball guns, airsoft guns, and even nerf guns would be way better for this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back