NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
A Queens woman was found slain in a marshy area near Howard Beach after she went out for her evening jog Tuesday, law-enforcement sources said.

Karina Vetrano, 30, was reported missing by her father when she didn’t return from her regular run along the Belt Parkway’s bike path at about 5 p.m., according to the sources.

Shortly after her worried dad, a retired firefighter, called 911, police found the body of the St. John’s University graduate in the high-weeded area off 165th Avenue and 78th Street at about 10:30 p.m., the sources said.

Sources said a cause of death has not been determined, but she appeared to have been strangled and her jogging pants were pulled partway down.

more at the link

http://nypost.com/2016/08/03/jogger-murdered-after-evening-run-in-queens/

Those living nearby told reporters that 'hobos and bums' often congregate in the bushes just off the bike path.

One said there are 'shanty houses' nearby.
NYPD's Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said on Wednesday that Vetrano's father told her not to run down the path.

attachment.php

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oing-evening-jog-near-New-York-City-home.html

"Running was one of Vetrano’s passions, Hartstein said. A passion she almost lost as a child.

She had surgery on both sides of her legs when she was young and doctors told her she would never run again.

'But she ran and she ran well,' Hartstein said. 'Every night she’d run the path with her father. She did it every day and it was her thing.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...vid-runner-social-butterfly-article-1.2737784

NYPD called in the FBI for help because her body was found on federal parkland.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-vetrano-put-up-ferocious-fight-murder-nypd-police/

The line of mourners for Karina Vetrano’s wake stretched out the door of a funeral home, past her teary-eyed dad and a huge floral butterfly — with a song from her favorite movie as the sad soundtrack.

[...]

Shortly before the wake, investigators recovered the missing sneaker and headphones Vetrano was wearing on the night of her death, police sources said. Both items will be tested for possible DNA or fingerprint evidence that could identify the killer, police sources said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...a-vetrano-manhunt-continues-article-1.2739756

On Friday police said the marsh area was overflown by a special FBI drone. Officers also used a special 360-degree camera to photograph the roads that Vetrano is believed to have traveled during her jog

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...eras-to-investigate-jogger-s-death-1.12138106

Thread #1

Attachments

• 36D4F18B00000578-3721296-Karina_Vetrano_pictured_vanished_after_jogging_just_off_the_Belt-a-32_1.jpg
    36D4F18B00000578-3721296-Karina_Vetrano_pictured_vanished_after_jogging_just_off_the_Belt-a-32_1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4,829
wow - very quite here on this new thread.... interesting the way these cases go; initially, lots of activity with so many users browsing the thread - then it goes quite, sadly.

Interesting to compare the number of tips coming in for this case versus Vanessa Marcotte's. I heard on the news there's over 600 tips for that case, while here mention of only 3, though I'm sure that's improved a bit.

Since there's been no mention of a suspect, no sketch put out; I'm figuring nothing has been seen on surveillance.

So it now becomes a waiting game for an informer to come forward, or someone hearing someone brag, or someone who gets locked up for something and knows something and seeks a better deal. All that works better the more the case is kept in the news... How about the reward; does that help? Rewards help in adding "bragging rights" that might prompt a perp to do just that; but, as far getting others to come forward, not so sure. It's the "and convicted" clause before payout, as it can take years before a case goes to trail... better might be better if something is given just for info that leads to an arrest.

I really really didn't think these cases where related at all....definetly not in a someone following VM to Princeton kind of way.

However I've learned some new information and it feels really suspicious. There's a resident of Princeton who is about the same age as VM and who's family's land is very very close to where the body was found....happens to be currently living in queens.

I've been quiet on this thread as I read ThinkHard's information on VM's thread yesterday (what he stated above) and have been researching. I too have thought they were never connected, but with this new information it is eerily weird that it may have been, imo. Or it's just one big crazy coincidence!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been quiet on this thread as I read ThinkHard's information on VM's thread yesterday (what he stated above) and have been researching. I too have thought they were never connected, but with this new information it is eerily weird that it may have been, imo. Or it's just one big crazy coincidence!

It absolutely could just be one heck of a coincidence. But it is quite the coincidence....given the size of Princeton and the infrequency at which a local from here ends up moving to Queens....the fact that VM body was found on or very near property of a man her age and currently living in queens....is a bit crazy.

It absolutely could just be one heck of a coincidence. But it is quite the coincidence....given the size of Princeton and the infrequency at which a local from here ends up moving to Queens....the fact that VM body was found on or very near property of a man her age and currently living in queens....is a bit crazy.

It is bizarre.

Interesting to say the least! Was this info reported in msm? How reliable is it?

Interesting to say the least! Was this info reported in msm? How reliable is it?
I believe it has been called in to tip line. MSM has not given this info, only found by ThinkHard here on WS. It is pretty accuarte once you do the research you'll see. We cannot name names here though.

Person also frequents the area of Queens (Astoria) where KV worked at Central Lounge (according to his SM) Big coincidence if the body of VM was found on/very near property owned by his family.

Edit: Forgot to add, LE has stated their POI could be very familiar with the area. Who else better to be familiar with the area where her body was left than someone who lives/lived on this property.

wow - very quite here on this new thread.... interesting the way these cases go; initially, lots of activity with so many users browsing the thread - then it goes quite, sadly.

Interesting to compare the number of tips coming in for this case versus Vanessa Marcotte's. I heard on the news there's over 600 tips for that case, while here mention of only 3, though I'm sure that's improved a bit.

Since there's been no mention of a suspect, no sketch put out; I'm figuring nothing has been seen on surveillance.

So it now becomes a waiting game for an informer to come forward, or someone hearing someone brag, or someone who gets locked up for something and knows something and seeks a better deal. All that works better the more the case is kept in the news... How about the reward; does that help? Rewards help in adding "bragging rights" that might prompt a perp to do just that; but, as far getting others to come forward, not so sure. It's the "and convicted" clause before payout, as it can take years before a case goes to trail... better might be better if something is given just for info that leads to an arrest.

It is sad how quiet it has gotten. I was praying they found this person quick. Such a flurry of activity and now no new information is frustrating. Hoping something is going on that they just cant fill the world in on!

I believe it has been called in to tip line. MSM has not given this info, only found by ThinkHard here on WS. It is pretty accuarte once you do the research you'll see. We cannot name names here though.

Person also frequents the area of Queens (Astoria) where KV worked at Central Lounge (according to his SM) Big coincidence if the body of VM was found on/very near property owned by his family.

Edit: Forgot to add, LE has stated their POI could be very familiar with the area. Who else better to be familiar with the area where her body was left than someone who lives/lived on this property.

The walk for Karina will be in a few hours. I am wondering if anyone local from websleuths will be there. I will be going with my family.

The walk for Karina will be in a few hours. I am wondering if anyone local from websleuths will be there. I will be going with my family.
I plan on going if I do not get stuck late at work.

Too bad we WS'ers don't have some kind of symbol to recognize each other in public places lol. I hope you can make it!

Too bad we WS'ers don't have some kind of symbol to recognize each other in public places lol. I hope you can make it!
Agreed!!! Lol I plan on picking up a few white balloons to carry during the walk. I'm sure others will have as well, so I can't even say look for the person with white balloons. I'll have a pink shirt on and black dress pants, if that helps at all lol.

I can't believe the reluctance of tips on this one. It's eerie quiet. JMO.

I can't believe the reluctance of tips on this one. It's eerie quiet. JMO.
If it was a vagrant or a homeless person....who are they going to tell? I wonder if there is any communication within the encampments or amongst
each other?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Agreed!!! Lol I plan on picking up a few white balloons to carry during the walk. I'm sure others will have as well, so I can't even say look for the person with white balloons. I'll have a pink shirt on and black dress pants, if that helps at all lol.

I did try to look for you out there!

It was heartbreaking,I could literally feel the pain from her family and friends. My niece made something for Karina and one of her friends came to my niece, thanked her and hugged her and kissed her. The love and support from the neighborhood is amazing.

Her parents urged anyone who knows anything to make a phone call and "get the money". Her mom said, you might as well get the money because we are going to catch him anyway.

I did try to look for you out there!

It was heartbreaking,I could literally feel the pain from her family and friends. My niece made something for Karina and one of her friends came to my niece, thanked her and hugged her and kissed her. The love and support from the neighborhood is amazing.

Her parents urged anyone who knows anything to make a phone call and "get the money". Her mom said, you might as well get the money because we are going to catch him anyway.
It was very heart breaking. I got there a little late so I was towards the back. Did you get a Justice for Karina bracelet? When her Mom said that, it almost felt as if they know who did it and it's only a matter of time before police move in, so if you know something get the money. Did you get that feeling too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member