Australia - French tourist goes on stabbing rampage in hostel Qld, 23 August 16

gregjrichards

Reaction score
"A French man screaming ‘Allahu Akbar’ went on a stabbing rampage at a backpackers hostel in north Queensland, killing a 21-year-old British woman and leaving a British man, 31, fighting for his life in hospital.

A third man, an Australian, received non-life threatening wounds and was released from hospital soon after the attack on Tuesday night, police said.

The attacker, 29, also stabbed a dog to death during the frenzy that was witnessed by a roomful of more than 30 people at Shelley's Backpackers."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ensland-backpackers-hostel.html#ixzz4IDIjb4Zm

article-3755684-3788513E00000578-734_964x387.jpg

This is happening every single day now?

Interesting. This is nowhere to be found on smh.com.au or brisbanetimes.com.au or abc.net.au, which are the places I go for my news, unless I just can't see them

But it's all over news.com.au, which has a traditionally right-wing conservative slant

I will wait until more moderate news sources report before I form any kind of opinion

Thanks Greg. I ve not had it flagged up on my notifications here either. And i have many. And a few 'press fellows' as mates lol. Comes in handy when trying to back up a story. Just not at 3 a.m . Yessss im awake *yawn* stupid pain. Morphine refil n im off back to bed... take care all. Namaste ♡

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks PrimeSuspect for the link. I prefer to rely on the ABC.net.au where possible, as they generally do not embellish or throw in editorial content into news stories.

"Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers are investigating a possible extremist link to a fatal stabbing at a north Queensland backpackers' hostel.

A 21-year-old woman was killed and a 30-year-old man was critically injured in the attack which took place in front of about 30 people at Shelley's Backpackers in Home Hill, south of Townsville, late on Tuesday night."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...xtremist-link-in-backpackers-stabbing/7780632.

Thanks Greg. I ve not had it flagged up on my notifications here either. And i have many. And a few 'press fellows' as mates lol. Comes in handy when trying to back up a story. Just not at 3 a.m . Yessss im awake *yawn* stupid pain. Morphine refil n im off back to bed... take care all. Namaste ♡

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hope the pain subsides ASAP Gigi-G living with severe pain is a nightmare I know what you are going through. Hope you feel better soon and manage to get some sleep.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...allahu-akbar-australian-knife-attack-41605634

A French man shouting the Arabic phrase "Allahu akbar" stabbed a British woman to death and wounded two men in an attack at a hostel in northeast Australia, police said Wednesday.

The 29-year-old suspect did not have any known links to the Islamic State group and appeared to have acted alone, Queensland Police Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said. Police were trying to determine whether the man had been motivated by extremism, or something else.

"A young British backpacker murdered in a bloody knife rampage by a man shouting 'Allahu Akbar' in an Australian hostel was 'living her dream' travelling abroad.

Mia Ayliffe-Chung, 21, from Belper in Derbyshire was attacked on Tuesday night along with a 30-year-old British man who was critically injured.

She had been working as a waitress in Queensland for the last six months after heading to Indonesia to start her travels around a year ago."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-backpacker-mia-ayliffe-chung-8693568

Mia-Ayliffe-chung-MAIN.jpg

May Mia Rest In Peace. It's absolutely tragic Mia and her family are in my prayers. I hope the critically injured man survives and fully recovers.

Meth psychosis more than likely

This is happening every single day now?

Not national news. Amazing

"A young British backpacker murdered in a bloody knife rampage by a man shouting 'Allahu Akbar' in an Australian hostel was 'living her dream' travelling abroad.
Mia Ayliffe-Chung, 21, from Belper in Derbyshire was attacked on Tuesday night along with a 30-year-old British man who was critically injured.
She had been working as a waitress in Queensland for the last six months after heading to Indonesia to start her travels around a year ago."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-backpacker-mia-ayliffe-chung-8693568
View attachment 100180
May Mia Rest In Peace. It's absolutely tragic Mia and her family are in my prayers. I hope the critically injured man survives and fully recovers.

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/ho...dnt-want-to-work-on-farm-20160825-gr0omx.html

The suspect, Frenchman Smail Ayad, had spent time at the hostel a year ago, according to John Norris who ran Home Hill Backpackers, also known as Shelley's Backpackers, for 15 years.
"It just wasn't him ... A lot of the news is trying to put him as an Islamic extremist. As far as I'm concerned he was never like that," Mr Norris told Channel Nine on Thursday.
But Mr Norris does believe the 29-year-old changed when Mia Ayliffe-Chung arrived at the hostels, saying he became entranced and followed her around.

Another report had police denying romantic involvement from "Mia's point of view", but that it is a line of inquiry. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...ndication-of-radicalisation-home-hill/7784228
Could be a case of a violent reaction to being turned down. He'd hardly be the first man to react as such.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...m-political-exploitation-20160825-gr0q9y.html

Pauline getting political traction from this (or trying to) is frustrating. It won't matter if it turns out to have a personal motivation, she and her ilk will still regard this as a Muslim problem even if it's proven to be a misogyny problem or mental health problem or just plain ordinary violence problem. And saying it's any kind of issue with "Muslim immigration" to Australia is ridiculous, given that he is a French citizen on some kind of work or tourist visa who has had no apparent history of violence or crime. Are they going to ban French tourists from visiting Australia just to be sure? Queensland is heavily reliant on tourism, after all.

It does seem though that Ms Ayliffe-Chung was the intended victim. It is seeming as if the other victims were harmed when they tried to help. I don't really think this is actually "rampage", just a frenzied attack on one victim and the other victims were collateral damage.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...m-political-exploitation-20160825-gr0q9y.html

Pauline getting political traction from this (or trying to) is frustrating. It won't matter if it turns out to have a personal motivation, she and her ilk will still regard this as a Muslim problem even if it's proven to be a misogyny problem or mental health problem or just plain ordinary violence problem. And saying it's any kind of issue with "Muslim immigration" to Australia is ridiculous, given that he is a French citizen on some kind of work or tourist visa who has had no apparent history of violence or crime. Are they going to ban French tourists from visiting Australia just to be sure? Queensland is heavily reliant on tourism, after all.

It does seem though that Ms Ayliffe-Chung was the intended victim. It is seeming as if the other victims were harmed when they tried to help. I don't really think this is actually "rampage", just a frenzied attack on one victim and the other victims were collateral damage.

If it was a personal issue between him and the beautiful girl he slaughtered, why would he yell "Allahu Akbar" as he was stabbing people?

"
"A 29-year-old Frenchman, named as Smail Ayad, allegedly yelled "Allahu Akbar" as he stabbed the two tourists, a 46-year-old Australian man and killed that man's dog on Tuesday night.

Police said the suspect resisted being moved from Townsville Hospital to the watchhouse overnight, but it wasn't clear whether any officers were injured."

Allahu ackbar is not something only terrorists say. I reject the concept that all crimes commited by Muslims are automatically terrorism.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If it was a personal issue between him and the beautiful girl he slaughtered, why would he yell "Allahu Akbar" as he was stabbing people?

"
"A 29-year-old Frenchman, named as Smail Ayad, allegedly yelled "Allahu Akbar" as he stabbed the two tourists, a 46-year-old Australian man and killed that man's dog on Tuesday night.

Police said the suspect resisted being moved from Townsville Hospital to the watchhouse overnight, but it wasn't clear whether any officers were injured."

BBM

Shouting "My God is the greatest" is a far cry from "If I can't have you, nobody will"...!

Allahu ackbar is not something only terrorists say. I reject the concept that all crimes commited by Muslims are automatically terrorism.

bbm, Not all terrorist, but lots of muslim terrorist seem to say it in the moment of an attack.

Still doesn't make it terrorism in and of itself, though. The motive matters. It could be from a warped religiously based motive and still not be terrorism, which is done for political gain not personal.

Of course not all people who say "Allah ackbar" are terrorists. But when someone says it in the middle of an act of extreme violence against multiple people in a public place, it does raise the odds considerably.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Still doesn't make it terrorism in and of itself, though. The motive matters. It could be from a warped religiously based motive and still not be terrorism, which is done for political gain not personal.

bbm
That to me is the definition of radical muslim extremist. Terrorist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back