GUILTY LA - Three killed as bus hits accident scene, LaPlace, 28 Aug 2016

BayouBelle_LA

Reaction score
Two people were killed and dozens more were injured after a speeding rental bus carrying construction workers crashed into a fire truck at the scene of an earlier crash on a Louisiana highway Sunday, state police said.

The 7:17 a.m. crash on Interstate 10 westbound in St. John the Baptist Parish threw three firefighters over a guardrail, sending them plummeting 30 to 40 feet into water below, state police said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/la-fire-chief-among-2-dead-after-bus-crashes-accident-n639046

The charter bus was carrying a group of volunteers to Baton Rouge to assist in Louisiana flood relief according to LSP. The bus' driver, Denis Yasmir Amaya Rodriguez, 37, was not licensed. Rodriguez is also an undocumented illegal alien, said LSP.

Rodriguez will be booked into the St. John Parish jail under various charges, including two counts of negligent homicide, reckless operation, and driving without a license. State Police said additional criminal charges are forthcoming.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/sta...-i-10-crash-had-no-drivers-license-/309765125

Two people were killed and dozens more were injured after a speeding rental bus carrying construction workers crashed into a fire truck at the scene of an earlier crash on a Louisiana highway Sunday, state police said.

The 7:17 a.m. crash on Interstate 10 westbound in St. John the Baptist Parish threw three firefighters over a guardrail, sending them plummeting 30 to 40 feet into water below, state police said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/la-fire-chief-among-2-dead-after-bus-crashes-accident-n639046

The charter bus was carrying a group of volunteers to Baton Rouge to assist in Louisiana flood relief according to LSP. The bus' driver, Denis Yasmir Amaya Rodriguez, 37, was not licensed. Rodriguez is also an undocumented illegal alien, said LSP.

Rodriguez will be booked into the St. John Parish jail under various charges, including two counts of negligent homicide, reckless operation, and driving without a license. State Police said additional criminal charges are forthcoming.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/sta...-i-10-crash-had-no-drivers-license-/309765125
This is so heartbreaking... And he is not legally here. [emoji25]
We got to get this illegal immigration under control.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

LaPlace bus crash: How it happened, details on driver in US illegally, info on victims

The two dozen passengers on the bus, most of whom are foreign nationals, received minor to moderate injuries, Matey said.

Investigators were still working to determine who hired the workers, who had been traveling from New Orleans to the devastated Baton Rouge region. The workers appeared to be working for a construction company, Matey said.

Amaya had been living at an apartment complex in Metairie near Grace King High School and also made his living in construction, according to three of his neighbors. Court records show he had been pulled over by State Police on Aug. 5 on I-10 in Jefferson Parish and cited for driving without a license.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_0244561c-6d29-11e6-ad84-83121a088789.html

It's sad they didn't have him deported when he was pulled over the first time, but I guess he's protected.

'Heroic effort' to save firefighters in fatal I-10 crash

Firefighters, State Police troopers and ordinary citizens selflessly climbed over a guardrail, down 30 feet into alligator-infested canal waters to rescue three St. John the Baptist Parish firefighters thrown from an Interstate 10 bridge in LaPlace after they were hit by a party bus Sunday morning.

"It was a heroic effort, a lifesaving effort," St. John Sheriff Mike Tregre said. "The heroics I saw today, you'll never see on TV or in the movies. I saw a state trooper carry a firefighter who was pretty much unconscious, in full uniform and gear and everything, up a ladder."

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/08/heroic_effort_to_save_firefigh.html#incart_most-read_

This is one of those crazy things that happen when nobody checks into employees driving records and hires whoever walks in first to apply for a job. I will admit, I have been hired on the spot three times, but completely different type jobs. Twice as a bartender, and once as a waitress. Another time I was recommended for a job by somebody I had worked with at one time and that was for a private duty nursing job.
But not even checking for a driving record, or references, or asking to see a DL is ridiculous. If this was an actual registered business, they would need a copy of a DL for insurance purposes. I can imagine there is a great need for help trying to rescue, clean and clear areas affected by the weather, but the only thing this "driver" did was create more havoc and cause more heartache. And yes, he should be deported once the state is thru with him, unless he gets a prison term. Then, he should be deported!

This was preventable and I am heart sick over the loss of life. The Fire Chief has 2 little kids, little kids who will never see their daddy again. The 21 year old man has famil that will never see him again. All because some illegal aliens wanted to earn money and needed to be transported to the flooded area and the choice was made to put them on a bus and let another unlicensed illegal drive. Absolutely no regard for the safety of anyone. You can bet that the bus is owned by an illegal immigrant and the whole lot of them are free-lancing for cash, stripping houses to the studs.

We experienced a HUGE influx of illegal immigrants after Katrina. Unlike America citizens, illegals will travel to disasters to work hard. We were grateful they came to do hard, dirty, hot, work because no one else was coming. The lived in tents because there was no housing. Every unemployed American citizen could have gotten work but they wouldn't accept the inconvenient working conditions and the long hours.

Yes, it's a downright disgrace when people who are either unemployed or would like to earn some extra money are so picky, and maybe on the lazy side. Alot of people don't want a job requiring mostly manual labor. So people from Mexico, in particular will come to work and earn extra money, and then want to stay because they do have a job. But I don't think many ever bother getting a green card, and then if they are sent back across the border, most will re-entry the US almost immediately, and a vicious cycle starts.

With history of traffic citations, driver in fatal I-10 crash fuels immigration debate

State Attorney General Jeff Landry issued a statement Tuesday calling for "sound immigration policy" in the wake of the fatal crash.

"Amaya-Rodriguez has been encountered by law enforcement over a half a dozen times in the last five years, yet he continued to roam the streets until he took two lives," Landry said, referencing the citations as well as a 2011 arrest for domestic abuse battery in Jefferson Parish. Those charges were dismissed in 2012.

It was not clear Tuesday whether federal immigrations officials had ever had contact with Amaya-Rodriguez following that 2011 arrest. But the traffic infractions that followed likely would not have garnered any attention from federal authorities, according to experts.

With limited resources, ICE focuses its efforts on removing violent offenders and those who are threat to national and border security as well as public safety. "Aliens convicted of crimes involving violence are among ICE's highest priority for removal from the country," Spokesman Thomas Byrd said.

Amaya-Rodriguez will remain in custody until the adjudication of his criminal case in St. John. ICE will not step in until he has served whatever sentence is ordered, if convicted, according to Mayeaux.

"Ice will come and pick him up and the process will begin at that point," he said.

Much more at link.
http://www.nola.com/articles/19194993/i-10_crash_immigration_citatio.amp

Driver in LaPlace I-10 bus crash to face new charge after 3rd man dies

Vontravis Kelly, 33, of Moss Point, Miss., had been in critical condition at University Medical Center after Sunday's crash, which also claimed the life of Kelly's friend Jermaine Starr, 21, as well as St. John Fire District Chief Spencer Chauvin, 36.

Kelly's cousin, David Jones, and friend Marcus Tate were also in the car with Kelly and Starr, said Kelly's sister, Kenisha Kelly. The four Moss Point residents, all fathers, were heading up to Baton Rouge to work on flood recovery, Kenisha Kelly said.

http://www.nola.com/articles/19207628/2nd_mississippi_man_dies_from.amp

Trial underway for bus driver indicted in fatal I-10 crash

A trial got underway Tuesday (Jan. 9) in St. John the Baptist Parish for the bus driver indicted in a fatal crash on Interstate 10 near LaPlace that killed three people, including a firefighter responding to the scene, and injured more than 30 others.

Denis Amaya-Rodriguez, a Honduran who authorities say was unlicensed and in the country illegally at the time of the Aug. 28, 2016 crash, faces three counts of negligent homicide.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2018/01/trial_underway_for_bus_driver.html

Denis Amaya Rodriguez, was found guilty yesterday, faces up to five years in prison on each of three counts connected with the deaths of St. John the Baptist Parish Fire Chief Spencer Chauvin, Vontarous Kelly and Jermaine Starr.

The jury of four women and two men deliberated for about two hours before returning their unanimous verdict against Amaya, who could also be fined up to $5,000.

A slew of other charges filed against Amaya following his arrest in the case — including the negligent injuring of more than 30 other people as well as driving without a license — were mentioned during the trial. However, Amaya, 38, was not tried on those charges this week.

Amaya didn't testify during the trial. His sentencing is set for April 9.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/courts/article_5b347a6a-f6ec-11e7-b981-a3595ecfba1c.html

The bus driver convicted of negligent homicide in January for a 2016 crash on Interstate 10 in LaPlace that killed an on-duty firefighter and two other men received the maximum 15-year prison sentence on Monday.

Denis Amaya Rodriguez, a Honduran immigrant who was in the country illegally, also was fined $5,000.

Bus driver in deadly LaPlace crash sentenced to 15 years in prison

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back