Odd website behavior

Trackergd

Verified SAR Manager and Tracker - Retired
Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed odd behavior on my work computer. The small WS logo in the tab is fluctuating and the reload scroll rotates for quite a while. The website is very slow to load or allow me to navigate.

Any ideas?

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed odd behavior on my work computer. The small WS logo in the tab is fluctuating and the reload scroll rotates for quite a while. The website is very slow to load or allow me to navigate.

Any ideas?

I have been experiencing the same problem, and I have to close it and restart it each time.

What browser are you each using?

When things go wonky at the library, we encourage patrons to change browsers and see if that helps.

What browser are you each using?

When things go wonky at the library, we encourage patrons to change browsers and see if that helps.

I use chrome and ran all checks possible to see if there was a conflict or if chrome shockwave flash player was conflicting with the original, and all tests stated there was were no conflicts and no problems. Still, I get the flashing WS logo, the screen freezes, I get a message that the shockwave flash has crashed, and I have to close the tab and reopen. Then, a few minutes later, the same thing happens.

Same here, I just keep the Task Manager window open & minimized and use End Task for FlashPlayer when it happens.

I think the problem is tied to one of the ads, it sometimes happens on the Taste of Home website if a video starts.

Also, there are always 2 copies of FlashPlayer running in the Task Manager window when this happens.

Hope this helps someone, Laughing

What I've noticed over the past couple of weeks is the ads taking a very long time to load. During that time, I can't sign in, post, scroll, etc. I usually give up and try later. Getting to be a royal pain :gaah: Happens with my desktop and DH's laptop. We both use Edge browser.

I checked task manager and there is no flash player running. I am also using Chrome. I think I will switch to Explorer to see what happens.

Must be a Chrome issue. I am on IE and am having no issues.

This is a common problem with Chrome and shockwave flash, I don't think it is anything to do with WS. I've had it happen a lot too and it happens here, but on other sites sometimes too. A different browser should do the trick but I like Chrome so end up doing a fresh install and it will fix it.

You can try resetting Chrome settings https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

And often the problem may be 2 flash files in the Chrome plug ins

Enter this in your Chrome address bar:
chrome://plugins/

Click 'details' and see if you have 2 flash files. If so try disabling one and see if that helps.

This is a common problem with Chrome and shockwave flash, I don't think it is anything to do with WS. I've had it happen a lot too and it happens here, but on other sites sometimes too. A different browser should do the trick but I like Chrome so end up doing a fresh install and it will fix it.

You can try resetting Chrome settings https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

And often the problem may be 2 flash files in the Chrome plug ins

Enter this in your Chrome address bar:
chrome://plugins/

Click 'details' and see if you have 2 flash files. If so try disabling one and see if that helps.

Thanks, Skibs!

really vigorous waving to you across the ocean:seeya:

I quit using WS on my iPhone b/c it takes me to a different site every time. However, when I use my iPhone to visit other websites and forums...no problem. I never have these issues with my Mac laptop or iPad.

It is Sunday September 11th and the forum is loading slower than a slug!

Sometimes the page only partially loads. I am using an iPad with Safari. It worked okay yesterday. ???

Sometimes ads appear and currently they do not. Doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference.

I just realized the ads are missing on my iPad as well. Strange, but welcome!

So I emptied the cache on my iPad and the pages at WS are loading quite nicely. And,there are currently no ads so not sure if its one thing or the other, or both but I am much more content this evening.

Its a new morning and once again the forum is not loading properly.

Pages seem to load the first post and then gets stuck for two or three minutes until the rest of the thread loads. The only ad that seems to consistently load is one Amazon ad across the top before the threads start. There is also a square Amazon ad at the very bottom, on the right.

I am using an iPad 3 (which I don't think will be eligible for the new iOS 10 software being released this week).

Decided to see how the forum loads on my desktop. Not sure if it was having to same problem or not. Seems to load okay with ads galore.

It seems however there are a couple of ads on each page as I jump from page to page that don't load quickly (the little circular arrow goes round and round for minutes) but it doesn't cause the whole page not to load. Again, this is on a desktop iMac, using 10.11.6. I don't know if any of this helps.

Edit to add: the ads on the iPad are not the same as the ads of the iMac (except for the Webseluths ad)

Hi Everyone,

Please try turning off your Adobe Flash. When I turned mine off it fixed several things at once. If you need Adobe Flash to watch a video just turn it back on.

Try turning it off and let me know if it helped at all with your problems.

Here are the instructions to turn off Adobe Flash I put together when there was a Shock Wave crash issue:

I use Chrome and tried this and the problem was immediately fixed.

Please understand I am not a technical person at all. That's why my directions for technical issues sound just like when I give directions to anyone who is lost. I don't use tech terms. I describe everything in easy to explain landmarks.

Here goes:

Type into your address bar: chrome://plugins

Then scroll until you see "Adobe Flash Player".

Make sure where it says "Adobe Flash Player" that the blue line underneath says, "Enable". This should grey out your box and disable your Adobe Flash Player. This is where the problem originates.

If the blue line below Adobe Flash says, "Disable" then click on the word Disable and "Enable" will appear.

The blue line below Adobe Flash must say "Enable".

Then close out the screen.

This took care of the whole issue for me.

This is an Adobe Flash issue and is happening everywhere.

If you are a visitor or member and have issues please email websleuthscomments@gmail.com

Dave continues to work hard to see we are doing everything possible on our end to make sure the site runs smoothly and without interruption.

Thanks,
Tricia

Hi Everyone,

Please try turning off your Adobe Flash. When I turned mine off it fixed several things at once. If you need Adobe Flash to watch a video just turn it back on.

Try turning it off and let me know if it helped at all with your problems.

Here are the instructions to turn off Adobe Flash I put together when there was a Shock Wave crash issue:

I use Chrome and tried this and the problem was immediately fixed.

Please understand I am not a technical person at all. That's why my directions for technical issues sound just like when I give directions to anyone who is lost. I don't use tech terms. I describe everything in easy to explain landmarks.

Here goes:

Type into your address bar: chrome://plugins

Then scroll until you see "Adobe Flash Player".

Make sure where it says "Adobe Flash Player" that the blue line underneath says, "Enable". This should grey out your box and disable your Adobe Flash Player. This is where the problem originates.

If the blue line below Adobe Flash says, "Disable" then click on the word Disable and "Enable" will appear.

The blue line below Adobe Flash must say "Enable".

Then close out the screen.

This took care of the whole issue for me.

This is an Adobe Flash issue and is happening everywhere.

If you are a visitor or member and have issues please email websleuthscomments@gmail.com

Dave continues to work hard to see we are doing everything possible on our end to make sure the site runs smoothly and without interruption.

Thanks,
Tricia

The problem is not with Flash it's with your ad script that is causing Flash to crash. Tell your developer to look at the console when viewing the website in Chrome. The ad script is going crazy and sending tons of requests over and over.

I think the website wide problem is with the RumbleTalk. I have noticed it now a few times, when RumbleTalk is running, the site gets weird, slows down and finally just quits. It doesn't seem to matter if one is 'in' or 'out' of the chat. I looked at the RumbleTalk website, and see there are many options to choose from as to how it runs with the site so I would start narrowing it down from there.

I don't think the recent slowdown specifically has anything to do with choice of browser, or Flash, or device, or anything else. I do wonder if the last time I experienced website problems was when the RumbleTalk was first being installed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back