GUILTY FL - Carl Chappell, 73, found in shallow grave, Leesburg, 25 Oct 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Overnight, crime scene technicians unearthed the remains of a person in Leesburg. Police believe it's the body of Carl Chappell. During a police interview, a maintenance worker for Chappell admitted to killing him.
Lake County crime scene technicians found the body buried in the back yard of a house under some concrete stepping-stones, exactly where Chappell's handyman, who is also a tenant of his, told detectives where to look.

"It's tough. It's nothing I ever imagined I would have to deal with in my lifetime," said Chappell’s daughter, Tammye Osborne.

Detectives identified Michael Norsworthy as a person of interest. After questioning Norsworthy, one of Chappell's tenant, Leesburg police said he confessed to the murder.

"He was overdue on rent and was going to be evicted. His mother lives with him and he was very upset over that," said Capt. David Marden, Leesburg Police Department.

5230182_120X90.jpg

Investigators said they found the body behind the rental unit where Norsworthy said he had buried Chappell. That's where Norsworthy and Chappell had a verbal altercation.

According to police, on the morning of October 25, Norsworthy grabbed a hammer from the shed and struck Chappell in the head numerous times. Police said Norsworthy then drove Chappell's Ford Thunderbird to a shopping plaza to further conceal his involvement.

More: http://officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=26744

From February 2008:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-02-29/news/lsentence29_1_norsworthy-chappell-osborne

Tammye Osborne demanded to see the graphic, death-scene photos of her father's murder, though prosecutors begged her not to look. "I needed to know if he suffered," Osborne said Thursday of her father, Carl Chappell, 73, a Leesburg landlord beaten to death with a hammer...

Osborne, 45, thumbed through the photographs that document the wounds inflicted by Michael Norsworthy, 33, who was sentenced this week to life in prison. Norsworthy pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, which was reduced from first-degree murder...

Norsworthy, a tenant who worked as a handyman for Chappell, said he attacked his landlord and boss on Oct. 25, 2005, fed up with his nagging and insults.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back